carbon dosing and microalgae

Faulkner’s maze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you carbon dose and keep microalgae (ulva?) -as soon as I started carbon dosing the ulva died off-and not for lack of nutrients. Mainly I was keeping it for the copepods. My PO4 is still at .4 The microalgae was not sufficient to keep down the nutrient levels.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you carbon dose and keep microalgae (ulva?) -as soon as I started carbon dosing the ulva died off-and not for lack of nutrients. Mainly I was keeping it for the copepods. My PO4 is still at .4 The microalgae was not sufficient to keep down the nutrient levels.

What about nitrate?

OP
OP
F

Faulkner’s maze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I expect it is coincidence, you the added organic carbon drove some trace element down that the ulva needed. Do you dose any trace elements such as iron and manganese?
Could be- I started dosing Seachem's reef plus couple weeks ago due manganese not being detected at all and iodine being 50% of ICP's recommendations. I am also dosing all for reef and the TM's bacto balance -which has trace elements in it-but obviously not enough. Not sure if I will keep it going if I don't see much of a benefit over month. Most of the corals are looking pretty good as is.

See what the next ICP test brings.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back