Carbon dosing and sulfur denitrator in the same system

AndrewJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe this is a chemistry question: How do carbon dosing and a sulfur denitrator interfere with each other in the same sysyem?
In Red Sea's Reef Care Program Algae Control, pg. 8:
"Do not use NO3:pO4-X in conjunction with sulphur based de-nitrators or phosphate and nitrate removers as the different methods for nitrate and phosphate reduction will cause interference."
I believe I understand, taking into account that bacteria consume phosphate and nitrate in a ratio, why using something like GFO would cause diminished results in nitrate reduction when carbon dosing.
I do not understand how using both systems in the same aquarium would interfere with each other.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not a chemist (just a doctor) but i used vodka dosing with sulfur denitrator for over 1 yr and had no issues, kept nitrates at 0 and phos under 0.05. not sure about nopox. maybe other will chime in.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both processes use nitrate primarily, and a small amount of phosphate. I think as long as you are careful to not drive nitrate too low, you won't have an issue.

That said, I'd probably phase out the denitrator if you are going for carbon dosing (which I prefer as a method since it feeds many organisms and doesn't deplete alkalinity the way a sulfur denitrator does.

OP
OP
AndrewJ

AndrewJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both processes use nitrate primarily, and a small amount of phosphate. I think as long as you are careful to not drive nitrate too low, you won't have an issue.

That said, I'd probably phase out the denitrator if you are going for carbon dosing (which I prefer as a method since it feeds many organisms and doesn't deplete alkalinity the way a sulfur denitrator does.
Thank you!
The sulfur denitrator I have is convertible to a calcium reactor. Are there any issues I should be aware of if I use it as a calcium reactor?
That asked, I probably won't convert it. I'm thinking I will put it on my FOWLR tank instead as a denitrator. I would then carbon dose and dose two part on the reef tank.
Thanks again!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 171 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back