Carbon dosing or Nitrate dosing to get rid of cyano? Need advice

GregOyeah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have a 90 gallon reef with a lot of SPS in it, its been set up for over 2 years now. Over the last several months Ive battled a red cyano problem thats gone from annoying to frustrating. other than some small random spots of bubble algae, I have no other nuisance algae to speak of in the tank. I have lot of coraline. The red cyano covers the sand bed, patches of rock and parts of the over flow box.

I have lots of flow in the tank. My nitrates always read 0. my phosphates always read zero, though Ive seen po4 jump when i add reef energy to the tank, but when I stop it just drops back down.

so im kind of at a loss for what to do next. Im considering dosing nitrate to balance out the nutrients to see if that kicks the cyano, but that could also makes this 10x worse couldnt it?

ive also considered carbon, vinegar, dosing with the hope of creating a competing bacteria in the tank to starve out the cyano. but since my nutrient levels are undetectable, I dont know how to start without a baseline nutrient level to base dosing off of. ive also read that carbon dosing can cause further nutrient inbalance which can lead to more cyano.

can anyone point me in the right direction?? and because i know someone will mention it, I do have red slime remover, Ive had it for a long while now but i really really really REALLY dont want to use it. I have a lot of expensive coral in the tank that ive grown into mother colonies and i dont want to lose them

thanks for reading

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have a 90 gallon reef with a lot of SPS in it, its been set up for over 2 years now. Over the last several months Ive battled a red cyano problem thats gone from annoying to frustrating. other than some small random spots of bubble algae, I have no other nuisance algae to speak of in the tank. I have lot of coraline. The red cyano covers the sand bed, patches of rock and parts of the over flow box.

I have lots of flow in the tank. My nitrates always read 0. my phosphates always read zero, though Ive seen po4 jump when i add reef energy to the tank, but when I stop it just drops back down.

so im kind of at a loss for what to do next. Im considering dosing nitrate to balance out the nutrients to see if that kicks the cyano, but that could also makes this 10x worse couldnt it?

ive also considered carbon, vinegar, dosing with the hope of creating a competing bacteria in the tank to starve out the cyano. but since my nutrient levels are undetectable, I dont know how to start without a baseline nutrient level to base dosing off of. ive also read that carbon dosing can cause further nutrient inbalance which can lead to more cyano.

can anyone point me in the right direction?? and because i know someone will mention it, I do have red slime remover, Ive had it for a long while now but i really really really REALLY dont want to use it. I have a lot of expensive coral in the tank that ive grown into mother colonies and i dont want to lose them

thanks for reading
I have used Chemi clean in the past....worked great.... didn't harm any coral or fish. Also I used vibrant to get rid of some bubble algae and that worked great....I have heard many people say vibrant got rid of their cyanobacteria too. There is a great thread on it.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 137 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.9%
Back