Carbon dosing (with Microbactor 7)

  • Thread starter Thread starter jkobel
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jkobel

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 23, 2016
Messages
317
Reaction score
126
Location
Boston, MA
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been battling high nutrients for a while and currently, I think they are looking pretty good.

N=2.61
P=.036

I have been carbon dosing with white vinegar (30ml/day) and MB7 (35ml/day) on a 140 gal system

I have been doing this by hand but want to put it on a dosing pump.

My questions:

1. Do you need to keep dosing MB7 or does that stop and carbon dosing is really just the vinegar going forward?

2. Does carbon doing become steady state or is it only useful for a period at a time?

3. MB7 needs to be shaken - does anyone successfully use a dosing pump with this product and if so, how? All I can thin of is a magnetic stirrer but that seems impractical

thanks!
 
I've been battling high nutrients for a while and currently, I think they are looking pretty good.

N=2.61
P=.036

I have been carbon dosing with white vinegar (30ml/day) and MB7 (35ml/day) on a 140 gal system

I have been doing this by hand but want to put it on a dosing pump.

My questions:

1. Do you need to keep dosing MB7 or does that stop and carbon dosing is really just the vinegar going forward?

2. Does carbon doing become steady state or is it only useful for a period at a time?

3. MB7 needs to be shaken - does anyone successfully use a dosing pump with this product and if so, how? All I can thin of is a magnetic stirrer but that seems impractical

thanks!
MB7 might be totally unnecessary. Typically, aquarium bacteria do the job.

As for long term use, the typical strategy once nitrate is down, the vinegar dose is brought down to half (don’t know where that number came from) over several weeks. Increase if needed.


@Miami Reef will have additional thoughts
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 25 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new