Carbon dosing

Bakki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to verify if my understanding of the potential efffect of carbon dosing is correct. Carbon dosing can promote the growth of different strains of bacteria:
- of which certain strains turn nitrates into nitrogen gass which will in turn precipitate from the tank.
- there are phosphate accumulating bacteria which can absorb phosphate into their tissue.

So while carbon dosing could lead to the direct removal of nitrogen from the tank, for phosphates they are absorbed by the bacteria. So if the bacteria are not removed (by for example a skimmer) they remain in the tank. Is this a correct understanding?

Thanks in advance.

Beat regards
Jorren

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bacteria driven by carbon dosing take up N and P to grow. Some in low oxygen areas may also convert nitrate into N2 which blows off to the air.

Bacteria can be eaten by other organisms, skimmed out or otherwise removed, or continue to live and/or die in the tank.

OP
OP
B

Bakki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bacteria driven by carbon dosing take up N and P to grow. Some in low oxygen areas may also convert nitrate into N2 which blows off to the air.

Bacteria can be eaten by other organisms, skimmed out or otherwise removed, or continue to live and/or die in the tank.
Thanks for the swift reply! I assume that in case of death the N and P are released back into the tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the swift reply! I assume that in case of death the N and P are released back into the tank.

Or into something that eats the dead bacteria.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 97 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.0%
Back