Carbon dumped all over tank

nano_ryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to put in some new carbon into my filter sock and accidentally tipped it upside down, and now tiny carbon pellets are everywhere. Hundreds of pieces are floating around in my sump and down in the sand. I did a quick 5 gal water change, and tried my best to clean the sand. Does any one knowing any negative effects of carbon mixed into the sand bed and stuck in the sump? Will it eventually melt and go away on its own?

lafarrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ain’t gonna melt away. It’ll gather in an area and you get to scoop it out or live with the flecks. Been there done that. I had no negative effects

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 lafarrow. Happened to me with carbon pellets and I sucked some up but couldn’t get it all. Can barely tell anymore the sand has covered it. I freaked out like you but it’ll be all good :)

SifuMemphis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're ok. Just make sure it doesnt get sucked up into your return pump or any other pumps. Can cause some minor issues with clogging etc. But you're fine :)

Courtney Aldrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully you are using some premium carbon (Rox 0.8 carbon) and not cheap carbon chips since inexpensive carbon readily forms fine micron dust by simple abrasion that is harmful and can cause HLLE. Activated Carbon by itself is harmless, but I would remove all of the carbon in the sump to prevent future release of carbon dust.

OP
OP
nano_ryan

nano_ryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully you are using some premium carbon (Rox 0.8 carbon) and not cheap carbon chips since inexpensive carbon readily forms fine micron dust by simple abrasion that is harmful and can cause HLLE. Activated Carbon by itself is harmless, but I would remove all of the carbon in the sump to prevent future release of carbon dust.
Yeah I’m using brs rox 0.8 carbon.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back