carbon in SPS tank

Paranoiattack91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is running carbon continuously in an sps tank necessary? I have a 180gl tank and want to keep it as simple as possible. Currently i am dosing 2 part, acropower, and bi weekly 40gl water changes.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is running carbon continuously in an sps tank necessary? I have a 180gl tank and want to keep it as simple as possible. Currently i am dosing 2 part, acropower, and bi weekly 40gl water changes.

Carbon removes the organics that yellow the water, which subsequently reduce the light available to corals.

I figure it's cheaper to change carbon every couple of weeks, then to double the amount of light on top of the tank.

wrassie86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my tank I use a uv sterilizer to keep the water from yellowing and it does a great job. So I do wonder at that point if carbon is really needed. But it does remove chemicals from the water the corals produce supposedly. So I run it a few weeks out of every month.
One issue you could have with stopping use is yellow water after some time. (can test by dipping a white plate in water) then putting the carbon back to work and light shocking your corals.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon can also remove heavy metals that get bound to some organics, as well as other organics that don't fully go through the nitrogen cycle. It is not necessary, depending on other methods to remove stuff. With actual water changes, I doubt that you will need to use GAC for these reason. It is good to keep some on hand in case you have to dose this or that and need it afterward... or if something like macro, coral or a clam spawn and start to muck up your water.

wrassie86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon can also remove heavy metals that get bound to some organics, as well as other organics that don't fully go through the nitrogen cycle. It is not necessary, depending on other methods to remove stuff. With actual water changes, I doubt that you will need to use GAC for these reason. It is good to keep some on hand in case you have to dose this or that and need it afterward... or if something like macro, coral or a clam spawn and start to muck up your water.
JDA do you run carbon full time?

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Removes

heavy metal 80s GIF

and other stuff. :p

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always ran carbon in everything. I haven't found a downside big enough to outweigh the benefits personally yet. Every tank and requirement is different though :)

Edit to ask is this 100% SPS or mixed? All mine have been mixed, so I have always ran it kind of in a defensive mode against any "chemical warfare" from the mixed reef. 100% one type coral or another may be less prone to needing carbon maybe? I am not an expert lol

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only reason I run carbon, removes the smells associated with a reef tank. So I run it 24/7/365, and as above clean my reactors on leap year. :D

I can tell when my carbon needs to be changed, by simply opening my cabinet and giving it a "whiff". If it smells like low tide, change it out. If it smells like fresh ocean air, I leave it be.

Conversely, if I'm at work and come home to a closed up house, and it smells like low tide, time to change the carbon. People often go "nose blind" to the smells in our homes. Leaving for a few hours, and coming back, is often an eye opener, or rather nose opener.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
run it 24/7 in a media bag. never really sat down to think about the pros and cons of doing so. its just a habit at this point.

Back