Carbon Proven to Cause HLLE in Tangs

Streetcred

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is curious ... read the study sometime ago and it does appear to be compelling but there seems to observational evidence that is contrary. I wonder what the true content of the exposure to carbon was ... just seems so odd as carbon is the basis for life.

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Desjardini Sailfin tang started showing signs of HLLE when I used Chemi-pure because it was so fine and even after rinsing it still leaked out of the bag. I had to get all of carbon that was in my sump out and switch to a bigger size grain...after I switch the HLLE stopped. I was very happy that I found the solution because that was the first thing I tried.

What type of carbon did you switch to

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is curious ... read the study sometime ago and it does appear to be compelling but there seems to observational evidence that is contrary. I wonder what the true content of the exposure to carbon was ... just seems so odd as carbon is the basis for life.
IMO Carbon "dust" may be the ONLY carbon related contributor HLLE outside diet. I use BRS ROX .8 with Zero effects on my tomini or chocolate tangs. HLLE is cause by a poor nutrient diet. Read the study too. For me use Cheap carbon, you have problems. Ooops

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO Carbon "dust" may be the ONLY carbon related contributor HLLE outside diet. I use BRS ROX .8 with Zero effects on my tomini or chocolate tangs. HLLE is cause by a poor nutrient diet. Read the study too. For me use Cheap carbon, you have problems. Ooops

I was using the Rox .8 before I acquired the Sailfin Tang from a fellow hobbyist. He didn't have HLLE when I got him , but after a few weeks in my tank he started getting it. I removed the carbon about three weeks ago to see if he gets better. So I am not sure if it was stress of moving that caused it , the Rox carbon , or another underlying factor. Personally I prefer to run carbon , so once he heals up I am going to try the carbon again

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using the Rox .8 before I acquired the Sailfin Tang from a fellow hobbyist. He didn't have HLLE when I got him , but after a few weeks in my tank he started getting it. I removed the carbon about three weeks ago to see if he gets better. So I am not sure if it was stress of moving that caused it , the Rox carbon , or another underlying factor. Personally I prefer to run carbon , so once he heals up I am going to try the carbon again
1580686123513.png
1580686123513.png

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

what do you feed your tangs?

right now i am feeding New Life Spectrum pellets, frozen brine with spirulina, frozen krill , I also put Nori in the tank but the tang will not eat it yet, not sure why. I think previous owner didn't feed it to him and he doesn't look to eat it now. I have never had a tang who didn't eat Nori

Back