Baby Regal Tang - Severe Case of Flukes & Potentially Velvet in DT

SimplisticDesign

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone & #fishmedic

I apologize if this isn’t allowed but I am creating a new thread from my previous post in mid/late February regarding my baby regal tang.

I was being helped by @Jay Hemdal ans @vetteguy53081 but due to the emerging situation I thought I would create a new thread to address a new potential issue.

Let’s start with the rundown:

Tank is a waterbox 110 3 feet long, was planning on upgrading once the tang becomes of size (for you tang police)

Tank has been established for around 7 months, with live rock from a previous tank I had owned.

Livestock:

2 Clowns
3 Bangai Cardinals
1 Ruby Red Dragonet
1 Fire Fish
1 regal tang baby

I have a mixed reef setup, which I feed mysis, and frozen seaweed shaped like mysis for the tang to eat twice a day.

Skimmer is always on (collection cup is off due to prazi treatment) with carbon (out of tank for prazi as well)

The rest is filter floss with chaeto macro algae.

Tang information:

I bought him with a royal gramma who has passed from flukes after a freshwater dip which according to jay might of killed him due to the immediate release of flukes causing him to bleed out. The tang was put in a QT with copper for 14 days which wasn’t enough time and should have been longer. Then he was moved to the DT tank.

Once he started to rub on rocks, I began a thread and was told to closely monitor him.

After immediate ID of flukes (the one that you can see) I began to dose prazi which was Wednesday.

Today I noticed a severe patch of white specks on the underside of him with additional larger white spots on his black stripe. I have been trying to catch him everyday, middle of the night, fish traps I cannot get to him.

Since the duration of him being in my tank, I can assume that every fish in my tank is now infected and my tank has eggs of flukes and potentially velvet in it.

What would my next steps be?

IMG_1210.png IMG_1209.png IMG_1207.png IMG_1208.png

Attachments

• IMG_1206.mov
    16 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I apologize if this isn’t allowed but I am creating a new thread from my previous post in mid/late February regarding my baby regal tang.

I was being helped by @Jay Hemdal ans @vetteguy53081 but due to the emerging situation I thought I would create a new thread to address a new potential issue.

Tank is a waterbox 110 3 feet long, was planning on upgrading once the tang becomes of size (for you tang police)

Tank has been established for around 7 months, with live rock from a previous tank I had owned.

Livestock:

2 Clowns
3 Bangai Cardinals
1 Ruby Red Dragonet
1 Fire Fish
1 regal tang baby

I have a mixed reef setup, which I feed mysis, and frozen seaweed shaped like mysis for the tang to eat twice a day.

Skimmer is always on (collection cup is off due to prazi treatment) with carbon (out of tank for prazi as well)

Tang information:

I bought him with a royal gramma who has passed from flukes after a freshwater dip which according to jay might of killed him due to the immediate release of flukes causing him to bleed out. The tang was put in a QT with copper for 14 days which wasn’t enough time and should have been longer. Then he was moved to the DT tank.

Once he started to rub on rocks, I began a thread and was told to closely monitor him.

After immediate ID of flukes (the one that you can see) I began to dose prazi which was Wednesday.

Today I noticed a severe patch of white specks on the underside of him with additional larger white spots on his black stripe. I have been trying to catch him everyday, middle of the night, fish traps I cannot get to him.

Since the duration of him being in my tank, I can assume that every fish in my tank is now infected and my tank has eggs of flukes and potentially velvet in it.

This is a fish that is very prone to skin irritation and this has led to Mucus cones likely mixed with ich causing the outbreak. This fish as well as other occupants (this hepatus for sure) will have to go into a separate treatment tank with sterile water and treated with coppersafe at therapeutic level 2.2-2.25 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

OP
OP
S

SimplisticDesign

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a fish that is very prone to skin irritation and this has led to Mucus cones likely mixed with ich causing the outbreak. This fish as well as other occupants (this hepatus for sure) will have to go into a separate treatment tank with sterile water and treated with coppersafe at therapeutic level 2.2-2.25 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

Got it.

I have a 10 gallon pico tank, that I have set up since last week. Do you think it’s wise to move all my coral and inverts to the pico tank and do hyposalinity? Or would ick be able to live on the corals ? And if then couldn’t I just wait it out in that tank before adding the corals again?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Got it.

I have a 10 gallon pico tank, that I have set up since last week. Do you think it’s wise to move all my coral and inverts to the pico tank and do hyposalinity? Or would ick be able to live on the corals ? And if then couldn’t I just wait it out in that tank before adding the corals again?
Best is to transfer fish to a sterile tank. You risk unhappy corals and it also allows establish bacteria to thrive normally

OP
OP
S

SimplisticDesign

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best is to transfer fish to a sterile tank. You risk unhappy corals and it also allows establish bacteria to thrive normally
Okay. One more question and then I’m going head over to my LFS for supplies.

I would probably need to get a bigger tank for the current stock fish I have ? The 10 gallon is a cubed tank 12 inches long. (Waterbox 10). Worried with the amount of fish in that tank, that it’s going to be a biooverload.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Okay. One more question and then I’m going head over to my LFS for supplies.

I would probably need to get a bigger tank for the current stock fish I have ? The 10 gallon is a cubed tank 12 inches long. (Waterbox 10). Worried with the amount of fish in that tank, that it’s going to be a biooverload.
Better off with a 20 long minimum..... ideal - 40 g breeder

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Livestock:

2 Clowns
3 Bangai Cardinals
1 Ruby Red Dragonet
1 Fire Fish
1 regal tang baby

Tang information:

I don’t think that is ich - see how the spots are just on one side of the fish? Ich never does that.
I think these are idiopathic mucus plugs - caused by some stress event. Could be from a scrape or even from flukes and then a scrape.

OP
OP
S

SimplisticDesign

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think that is ich - see how the spots are just on one side of the fish? Ich never does that.
I think these are idiopathic mucus plugs - caused by some stress event. Could be from a scrape or even from flukes and then a scrape.
Got it. I was looking at your analysis of these plugs and was looking at forms. What would be the treatment plan? I cannot actually find anything besides the black tang thread.

I had to tear my tank a part took about 4 hours of removing corals and rocks in order to get the tang, afterwards I threw him in a 10g emergency tank. Gave him an hour and then freshwater dipped.

No flukes came off.

IMG_1222.png IMG_1221.png IMG_1220.png

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. I was looking at your analysis of these plugs and was looking at forms. What would be the treatment plan? I cannot actually find anything besides the black tang thread.

I had to tear my tank a part took about 4 hours of removing corals and rocks in order to get the tang, afterwards I threw him in a 10g emergency tank. Gave him an hour and then freshwater dipped.

No flukes came off.

IMG_1222.png IMG_1221.png IMG_1220.png
If the fish is eating and not showing any other symptoms, I would just observe it for now, and try not to stress it further. Mucus plugs often go away on their own in a few weeks.

OP
OP
S

SimplisticDesign

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish is eating and not showing any other symptoms, I would just observe it for now, and try not to stress it further. Mucus plugs often go away on their own in a few weeks.
Jay,

The Tangs condition is worsening, there are those spots everywhere, on either side. He is in a 10 G FOWLR with prazi dosed.

Is there any medication I can add?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay,

The Tangs condition is worsening, there are those spots everywhere, on either side. He is in a 10 G FOWLR with prazi dosed.

Is there any medication I can add?
How is it worsening? Can you post a video?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

O.K., see how the spots are on BOTH sides of the fish now? That is much different than the first pics/video, where the spots were just on one side of the fish, in a localized area. Seeing spots on the fins is also new. The spots still look a bit large to be ich, but one issue with mucus plugs is that ich can cause them in this species.

Are the clowns or any other fish showing any spots?

I think you need to treat the tang at least, and worse case, treat all of the fish. Your two best options would be coppersafe or hyposalinity - neither can be done with invertebrates present though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back