Tang stocking & info help.

CristinaNTimothy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone hope your day is well. Ok so I have been researching a lot lately about what tangs to add and I’d like some help please if you wouldn’t mind. When I was in this hobby 15+ years ago I had a lone yellow and loved it but my heart was always set on the PB, PB, Achilles and said to myself when I got back into this hobby past Dec that this was my go to list that I will build around.
Well that has changed because of the realization of the advancement in care not to mention there frailties in regards to stress and disease. Sure, they are all Tangs which are by nature a stressed fish but i realize that some are more prone If I could use that term.

So this is the list I have come up with and would need help deciding how many and if there is another I should consider or one I should delete due to greater potential of issues.

My tank is a WB LX 290. (72.3x29.5x25.6)

The only stock I do have at the moment are..

2 Gladiator clowns
1 fire fish
1 orchid dottyback
3 pajama cardinals

I will be ordering the tangs so I can introduce them all at the same time and won’t probably be for a few months so they are all together.

I just wanted to try to do this the best way without the issues later. I will be QT the fish, not too sure if I will medicate or observe. I do have copper power and prazi in case but tbh I’m a little intimidated of the process but I don’t want to place them into my DT with the possibility of carrying ich or anything else they may be carrying.

Ok here is the list I am trying to decide on which ones to get for my size aquarium. sorry for the novel.

1) Gem Tang
2) Yellow Tang
3) Black Longnose Tang
4) White Tail Bristletooth Tang
5) Chevron Tang
6) Blonde Nasso Tang

I would like to add a purple Tang but not to sure if they are like the PB which are highly stressful fish that may cause areas of concern.

Thank you everyone for all you input, have a great day!!

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you have a very nice sized tank… I personally could see all of those going in and being just fine.

edit: may depend on how much live rock you have but that’s a big tank.
Also, I wouldn’t be too worried about the purple tang, just add it closer to the end, can be a real a**hole.

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the current best way to quarantine your fish. Best to follow when adding so many fish that usually have issues.

OP
OP
CristinaNTimothy

CristinaNTimothy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you have a very nice sized tank… I personally could see all of those going in and being just fine.

edit: may depend on how much live rock you have but that’s a big tank.
Also, I wouldn’t be too worried about the purple tang, just add it closer to the end, can be a real a**hole.
Thank you that's what I was hoping for, I might just do that as its hard to decide on one over the other, In regards to the purple you dont think its better to add at the same time or should i hold off and add it later ?

Thanks again

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may work but your first 3 and the purple are all zebrasoma and may have issues with each other. Next two are both Ctenochaetus again may be compatibility issues. If all are added at the same time, young, may not be an issue. The naso should be fine with any of the above combination. With this being said I had 2 yellow and a purple in the same tank and at the same time had a chevron and a tomini. When I added my second tank I put the two yellows and the chevron in with a lemon peel mimic and all was well after the mimic got used to being not the only fish in the tank.

OP
OP
CristinaNTimothy

CristinaNTimothy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the current best way to quarantine your fish. Best to follow when adding so many fish that usually have issues.

Thanks for the link i apreciate it.

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you that's what I was hoping for, I might just do that as its hard to decide on one over the other, In regards to the purple you dont think its better to add at the same time or should i hold off and add it later ?

Thanks again
I personally would add the purple tang after the other tangs have become comfortable with the tank and established themselves, less likely the purple tang will bully if everyone else already has established ground in the tank. Also I would add a couple at a time, not all at once. Don’t want a huge ammonia spike

OP
OP
CristinaNTimothy

CristinaNTimothy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may work but your first 3 and the purple are all zebrasoma and may have issues with each other. Next two are both Ctenochaetus again may be compatibility issues. If all are added at the same time, young, may not be an issue. The naso should be fine with any of the above combination. With this being said I had 2 yellow and a purple in the same tank and at the same time had a chevron and a tomini. When I added my second tank I put the two yellows and the chevron in with a lemon peel mimic and all was well after the mimic got used to being not the only fish in the tank.
Thanks for the input, I really didn't think the same type could have ill effects but now something to now consider for sure. i was aiming at getting these as juveniles but i can't guarantee how or what age they come in at unfortunately.

OP
OP
CristinaNTimothy

CristinaNTimothy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would add the purple tang after the other tangs have become comfortable with the tank and established themselves, less likely the purple tang will bully if everyone else already has established ground in the tank. Also I would add a couple at a time, not all at once. Don’t want a huge ammonia spike
I was under the impression adding all at once was the way to go but this would actually work out better not only for qt purposes but on the wallet lol

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression adding all at once was the way to go but this would actually work out better not only for qt purposes but on the wallet lol
There is a very good point that @twentyleagues said.. add all at once and less likely to bully plus I keep forgetting you have almost 300 gallons the ammonia spike might not be that bad, I personally just worry about if one or 2 get ich it might be easier to treat and you’d be quarantining less fish at a time. But again, a very good point that I didn’t think about, my bad.

OP
OP
CristinaNTimothy

CristinaNTimothy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can add them at the same time or get a acclimation box.
I can add them at the same time, my lfs will get them and keep until they are all gathered up, we thats the plan anyway... if anything changes i will get a acclimation box to add additional from the initial introduction. how long would they need to be in that box for if you don't mind me asking?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can add them at the same time, my lfs will get them and keep until they are all gathered up, we thats the plan anyway... if anything changes i will get a acclimation box to add additional from the initial introduction. how long would they need to be in that box for if you don't mind me asking?
Really depends on the tangs attitudes. Couple days probably. Just observe them, the ones in the tank will be curious and come to check it out if they are trying to attack through the box you know to wait. I got lucky when I got my 2 yellows and the purple they were all brought in at the same time and went into the same tank at the lfs. I had ordered 2 yellows and the shop decided to get like 10 and 5 purples. I took all three home at the same time and they all hung out together the entire time but the 2 yellow seemed more close. When I decided to set up the other tank I had original planed on putting one yellow and the purple into it. I went to catch the first yellow and the other dove into the net too so they went to the new tank. I figured since the mimic was small it wouldnt be an issue but the mimic was kind of a jerk and chased the yellows for a couple days even though they were quite a bit bigger. Couple days later I moved the chevron. All three decide to gang up on him and chase him. I got an acclimation box about a week later they were totally ignoring tang tv. So i released him and it was tense for a few minutes but next day all was well again.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice here. Also want to echo something else mentioned earlier about amount of rock. If you don't have enough caves or hiding places for each fish to have their own, you will be inviting aggression.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The mentioned PB, PB, Achilles are the tangs most susceptible to disease. Quarantine for these will be extremely import. Powder blue can have a nasty disposition.
1) Gem Tang- Very good natured and will work
2) Yellow Tang - Will also work in this size tank
3) Black Longnose Tang - Expensive and will need space
4) White Tail Bristletooth Tang - Pretty fish but can have an attitude
5) Chevron Tang - Will be very difficult to find and costly
6) Blonde Nasso Tang - Stay away as many are coming in thin and lethargic and have a high death rate

My pick - Gem, followed by yellow

1710875483046.png

OP
OP
CristinaNTimothy

CristinaNTimothy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A
Really depends on the tangs attitudes. Couple days probably. Just observe them, the ones in the tank will be curious and come to check it out if they are trying to attack through the box you know to wait. I got lucky when I got my 2 yellows and the purple they were all brought in at the same time and went into the same tank at the lfs. I had ordered 2 yellows and the shop decided to get like 10 and 5 purples. I took all three home at the same time and they all hung out together the entire time but the 2 yellow seemed more close. When I decided to set up the other tank I had original planed on putting one yellow and the purple into it. I went to catch the first yellow and the other dove into the net too so they went to the new tank. I figured since the mimic was small it wouldnt be an issue but the mimic was kind of a jerk and chased the yellows for a couple days even though they were quite a bit bigger. Couple days later I moved the chevron. All three decide to gang up on him and chase him. I got an acclimation box about a week later they were totally ignoring tang tv. So i released him and it was tense for a few minutes but next day all was well again.
Thanks for that, great to hear that and hopefully everything works out here. I will get a box to keep just in case hopefully they all get along. I see that they can have personality issues but if approach the right way it can be a way better chance of harmony. Thanks so much

OP
OP
CristinaNTimothy

CristinaNTimothy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice here. Also want to echo something else mentioned earlier about amount of rock. If you don't have enough caves or hiding places for each fish to have their own, you will be inviting aggression.
I do have caves and rock. I’ll post a pic for observation hopefully it is good enough.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
CristinaNTimothy

CristinaNTimothy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mentioned PB, PB, Achilles are the tangs most susceptible to disease. Quarantine for these will be extremely import. Powder blue can have a nasty disposition.
1) Gem Tang- Very good natured and will work
2) Yellow Tang - Will also work in this size tank
3) Black Longnose Tang - Expensive and will need space
4) White Tail Bristletooth Tang - Pretty fish but can have an attitude
5) Chevron Tang - Will be very difficult to find and costly
6) Blonde Nasso Tang - Stay away as many are coming in thin and lethargic and have a high death rate

My pick - Gem, followed by yellow

1710875483046.png
Advice taken and deeply appreciated. Do you feel based on this advice with Tang selection I could do an observation qt for the 30 days and be fine or would you feel copper treatment is the way to go. I do try the best I can to eradicate all diseases but I know it could happen even if the most delicate procedures are followed. I will be installing a uv for this reason shortly but still would like to do the best I can to avoid any parasites. Also thank you kindly for your valuable input. Btw your pic is awesome, love it looks great. One day I will get there. ( I hope) lol

That bottom left corner Tang, is this a chocolate Tang? He’s beautiful

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Advice taken and deeply appreciated. Do you feel based on this advice with Tang selection I could do an observation qt for the 30 days and be fine or would you feel copper treatment is the way to go. I do try the best I can to eradicate all diseases but I know it could happen even if the most delicate procedures are followed. I will be installing a uv for this reason shortly but still would like to do the best I can to avoid any parasites. Also thank you kindly for your valuable input. Btw your pic is awesome, love it looks great. One day I will get there. ( I hope) lol

That bottom left corner Tang, is this a chocolate Tang? He’s beautiful
Do not do the observational as often you are allowing a given disease to take hold of a fish. Youve set the tank up and placed fish in it, you might as well medicate. By the time you see velvet or ich, the disease has already multiplied and reached adult stages making it longer and harder to treat a fish.
UV will address what is free floating and passes through the unit and not what is pre-existing or erase what is on the fish.

OP
OP
CristinaNTimothy

CristinaNTimothy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not do the observational as often you are allowing a given disease to take hold of a fish. Youve set the tank up and placed fish in it, you might as well medicate. By the time you see velvet or ich, the disease has already multiplied and reached adult stages making it longer and harder to treat a fish.
UV will address what is free floating and passes through the unit and not what is pre-existing or erase what is on the fish.
Agree and you’re right, it’s up so I might as well see it through. Thank you for your help and input I do appreciate your time

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back