Tang stocking & info help.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Agree and you’re right, it’s up so I might as well see it through. Thank you for your help and input I do appreciate your time
You’ll be glad you took the step- disease is on us - not the fish as often overlooked

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Naso situation is a real bummer. I have seen some come in and make it but I think its "up in the air" as to where and how they are caught. Hopefully when I set my bigger tank up in the next year or two they will have it figured out who/where not to order from. Its a bucket list fish for me. I haven't had a salt tank I felt was big enough set up for one yet. Luckily when I worked at the lfs part time we had a big male for me to interact with as a store pet, only made me want one more.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone hope your day is well. Ok so I have been researching a lot lately about what tangs to add and I’d like some help please if you wouldn’t mind. When I was in this hobby 15+ years ago I had a lone yellow and loved it but my heart was always set on the PB, PB, Achilles and said to myself when I got back into this hobby past Dec that this was my go to list that I will build around.
Well that has changed because of the realization of the advancement in care not to mention there frailties in regards to stress and disease. Sure, they are all Tangs which are by nature a stressed fish but i realize that some are more prone If I could use that term.

So this is the list I have come up with and would need help deciding how many and if there is another I should consider or one I should delete due to greater potential of issues.

My tank is a WB LX 290. (72.3x29.5x25.6)

The only stock I do have at the moment are..

2 Gladiator clowns
1 fire fish
1 orchid dottyback
3 pajama cardinals

I will be ordering the tangs so I can introduce them all at the same time and won’t probably be for a few months so they are all together.

I just wanted to try to do this the best way without the issues later. I will be QT the fish, not too sure if I will medicate or observe. I do have copper power and prazi in case but tbh I’m a little intimidated of the process but I don’t want to place them into my DT with the possibility of carrying ich or anything else they may be carrying.

Ok here is the list I am trying to decide on which ones to get for my size aquarium. sorry for the novel.

1) Gem Tang
2) Yellow Tang
3) Black Longnose Tang
4) White Tail Bristletooth Tang
5) Chevron Tang
6) Blonde Nasso Tang

I would like to add a purple Tang but not to sure if they are like the PB which are highly stressful fish that may cause areas of concern.

Thank you everyone for all you input, have a great day!!
My opinion is that you are overstocking. The stress will be huge. They like room as you should be aware, also the bioload

OP
OP
CristinaNTimothy

CristinaNTimothy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Naso situation is a real bummer. I have seen some come in and make it but I think its "up in the air" as to where and how they are caught. Hopefully when I set my bigger tank up in the next year or two they will have it figured out who/where not to order from. Its a bucket list fish for me. I haven't had a salt tank I felt was big enough set up for one yet. Luckily when I worked at the lfs part time we had a big male for me to interact with as a store pet, only made me want one more.
It really is, it actually put a damper on me when I read that as I had no idea, I did however appreciate the advice but I wasn’t happy about it as this is one of my favorites, they look so graceful. I know my lfs has one, it’s been there for a few months now as I always just watch him swim when I’m there, it’s definitely a full size one though as he is quite large. I do hope as well this doesn’t last long but I will definitely hold off until this gets sorted out.

OP
OP
CristinaNTimothy

CristinaNTimothy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion is that you are overstocking. The stress will be huge. They like room as you should be aware, also the bioload
I do understand the bio load and overstocking issue and I wasn’t going to add all these, it would be nice for sure and would love to but I will select possibly 3 or maybe four if I chose to go with the smaller breed. Thanks for the recommendation I appreciate it.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do understand the bio load and overstocking issue and I wasn’t going to add all these, it would be nice for sure and would love to but I will select possibly 3 or maybe four if I chose to go with the smaller breed. Thanks for the recommendation I appreciate it.
You ruled out the powder blue, brown and Achillies right? Or did I get the wrong idea?
As for the bristletooth tangs they are cool fish with a nice shape. The chevron only retains the red/orange for a short time the adult coloration is dark almost black. I didnt mind this and thought it was still really cool but if you have a gem tang that would be cooler. Then it would be easier to go with the white tail or my favorite Tomini. The white tail and tomini are really close in over all looks. I think the main difference is how much white is on the tail. For all I know they may be the same fish with a slight color difference or catch location. I am and have never been that into it to say for sure. The gem tang is another bucket list for me mostly because I have never seen one for sale near me. I really like the purples too. Yellow I can take or leave definitely not paying $200+ for one. I would spend that on a small purple though. I think I paid around that total for all three "back in the day". I think the chevron was my most expensive tang at around $150. I saw a chevron a while back $349.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add 4 tangs Add them young and let them grow up together.Chevron is great but likely not easy to get. I would get Yellow, Purple, Achilles and Powder Blue tangs. Get them as small as you can, Yellow and purple first then Achilles and Powder Blue.I am looking for a Achilles right now. I have all the others plus a Sailfin (in the tank) and Convict (likely not going into the tank) My tank is a 340 gal tank.

OP
OP
CristinaNTimothy

CristinaNTimothy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You ruled out the powder blue, brown and Achillies right? Or did I get the wrong idea?
As for the bristletooth tangs they are cool fish with a nice shape. The chevron only retains the red/orange for a short time the adult coloration is dark almost black. I didnt mind this and thought it was still really cool but if you have a gem tang that would be cooler. Then it would be easier to go with the white tail or my favorite Tomini. The white tail and tomini are really close in over all looks. I think the main difference is how much white is on the tail. For all I know they may be the same fish with a slight color difference or catch location. I am and have never been that into it to say for sure. The gem tang is another bucket list for me mostly because I have never seen one for sale near me. I really like the purples too. Yellow I can take or leave definitely not paying $200+ for one. I would spend that on a small purple though. I think I paid around that total for all three "back in the day". I think the chevron was my most expensive tang at around $150. I saw a chevron a while back $349.
Yes that is correct you are right, ive ruled out the Powders and Achilles. The no 1 on my stocking list will be a Gem, a lfs not to far from me had them for 350 last month on sale now they are asking 800 so I will keep looking for a sale somewhere reputable and my lfs has some captive bread yellows for 200. ( these prices are all CAD as I’m in Canada). Purple here are about 300 as well. Also I may add a Tomini instead of the white tail. I know my lfs has a white tail for 400 and a juvenile Tomini for 130 which is pretty good. For a 3 inch blonde nasso it’s about 170 and they are all eating and have been in stock for a couple weeks but no gem. I’d like to start there but stocking may be an issue

OP
OP
CristinaNTimothy

CristinaNTimothy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add 4 tangs Add them young and let them grow up together.Chevron is great but likely not easy to get. I would get Yellow, Purple, Achilles and Powder Blue tangs. Get them as small as you can, Yellow and purple first then Achilles and Powder Blue.I am looking for an Achilles right now. I have all the others plus a Sailfin (in the tank) and Convict (likely not going into the tank) My tank is a 340 gal tank.
Nice selection for sure and it makes for some beautiful looking tangs for sure. I think I’m going to stay away from those due to their stress issues. You have any issues with disease with any of yours?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, but no Achilles yet
Chevron2016051101.jpg
PBT2019071801FatFish.jpg
PBT2021010901.jpg
PowderBlueTang2020112502.jpg
PurpleTang2019041201.jpg
PurpleTang2020040901.jpg
YellowTang2019052501.jpg
YellowTang2019102201.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back