Baby Hipo Tang Rubbing Rock

SimplisticDesign

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little baby tang, was in a QT for 14 days, wondering if I should take him out to do a freshwater dip to see if he has flukes?

Attachments

• IMG_1027.mov
    36.9 MB

Zaxh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#fishmedic

next time put emergency in as well. could be a sign of flukes or itch. Regal tangs are really susceptible of itch and that 14 day QT should of probably been longer

OP
OP
S

SimplisticDesign

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you add the video as a YouTube link?
A 14 day qt won’t stop anything, so there could well be a disease at play.

Video is processing.

Eating well, although he won't go After any nori only mysis shrimp. Hides within rocks a lot, constantly rubbing on rocks, but almost like he is rubbing to get food off of it. A little discoloration near the bottom of his fins.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Video is processing.

Eating well, although he won't go After any nori only mysis shrimp. Hides within rocks a lot, constantly rubbing on rocks, but almost like he is rubbing to get food off of it. A little discoloration near the bottom of his fins.

It may or may not be anything. Blue hippos are little weirdos. Mine is gone unfortunately (lost her during quarantine for a bad case of ich) but I had her for four months prior and she would constantly rub on “her” rock in the tank. Didn’t have a single spot at that time and all the other fish in the tank were also healthy. I know exactly when the ich was introduced and then her behavior changed and she would rub all over the tank and swim up to the power heads.

#fishmedic
Hopefully the people who know best can chyme in and help. But I might not worry just yet.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not seeing any signs of disease - the flashing could just be it being weird right now. I’d monitor to see if anything develops for now.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little baby tang, was in a QT for 14 days, wondering if I should take him out to do a freshwater dip to see if he has flukes?
Sure looks like flukes - a bit bedraggled looking, then kind of twitchy and scratching a lot.

Skip the FW dip, stressful to catch the fish, and then, unless you have a microscope, you’ll only be able to see one of the three types of fluke with your naked eye.

I’d consider a Prazipro treatment. Reef safe is done correctly - dose it at about 85% of you tank’s rated volume (to offset rock displacement). Use good aeration, don’t run carbon and run your skimmer but don’t collect the skimmate. Dose it a second time 8 days later.

Ja

OP
OP
S

SimplisticDesign

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure looks like flukes - a bit bedraggled looking, then kind of twitchy and scratching a lot.

Skip the FW dip, stressful to catch the fish, and then, unless you have a microscope, you’ll only be able to see one of the three types of fluke with your naked eye.

I’d consider a Prazipro treatment. Reef safe is done correctly - dose it at about 85% of you tank’s rated volume (to offset rock displacement). Use good aeration, don’t run carbon and run your skimmer but don’t collect the skimmate. Dose it a second time 8 days later.

Ja
I can’t believe I didn’t see this until now. I didn’t do anything because of what others said. Saw him just now with white spots.

I literally cannot catch him at all. See pictures I attached, never felt with flukes or itch, worried about other live stock as tang will be in my DT for 5 days now. I raised temperature of my tank to 80 degrees as well in case this is ich. Also want to add on that he stopped rubbing on rocks, but now hides majority of the time. Has been eating mysis, rotifiers and mix of green, purple and nori.

Do you have an exact product to recommend ? Should remove some of my more expensive corals and put them in another tank ?

How is it with an anemone ?

@Jay Hemdal

IMG_1080.png
IMG_1076.png
IMG_1078.png
IMG_1077.png IMG_1079.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t believe I didn’t see this until now. I didn’t do anything because of what others said. Saw him just now with white spots.

I literally cannot catch him at all. See pictures I attached, never felt with flukes or itch, worried about other live stock as tang will be in my DT for 5 days now. I raised temperature of my tank to 80 degrees as well in case this is ich. Also want to add on that he stopped rubbing on rocks, but now hides majority of the time. Has been eating mysis, rotifiers and mix of green, purple and nori.

Do you have an exact product to recommend ? Should remove some of my more expensive corals and put them in another tank ?

How is it with an anemone ?

@Jay Hemdal

IMG_1080.png
IMG_1076.png
IMG_1078.png
IMG_1077.png IMG_1079.png
First, don’t raise the water temperature, that only works for freshwater ich. For saltwater ich, it just makes it worse. 80 isn’t that high though. 78 is the sweet spot.

Those spots could be ich, but they seem a bit too large and diffuse IMO.

I can’t explain why it just stopped scratching, maybe it wasn’t flukes after all?

Watch the white spots. If they come and go and change location day to day and generally increase in numbers, that is more likely to be ich.

OP
OP
S

SimplisticDesign

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, don’t raise the water temperature, that only works for freshwater ich. For saltwater ich, it just makes it worse. 80 isn’t that high though. 78 is the sweet spot.

Those spots could be ich, but they seem a bit too large and diffuse IMO.

I can’t explain why it just stopped scratching, maybe it wasn’t flukes after all?

Watch the white spots. If they come and go and change location day to day and generally increase in numbers, that is more likely to be ich.
Any good way of catching him ? I want to try to put him into QT ASAP I’ve been trying to net and bait with food but as always he keeps going under rocks….

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any good way of catching him ? I want to try to put him into QT ASAP I’ve been trying to net and bait with food but as always he keeps going under rocks….
You might get it to hike up at night and be able to scare it into a net with your hand, but in many cases, it just isn’t possible to catch a fish out of a display tank. I’ve even resorted to tiny fish hooks for some fish (not in this case though).

OP
OP
S

SimplisticDesign

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might get it to hike up at night and be able to scare it into a net with your hand, but in many cases, it just isn’t possible to catch a fish out of a display tank. I’ve even resorted to tiny fish hooks for some fish (not in this case though).
He has the flukes 100000 percent. Found my royal gramma with at least 15 of them on him. He’s not doing to well, was able to freshwater dip and get this picture

IMG_1105.jpeg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may or may not be anything. Blue hippos are little weirdos. Mine is gone unfortunately (lost her during quarantine for a bad case of ich) but I had her for four months prior and she would constantly rub on “her” rock in the tank. Didn’t have a single spot at that time and all the other fish in the tank were also healthy. I know exactly when the ich was introduced and then her behavior changed and she would rub all over the tank and swim up to the power heads.

#fishmedic
Hopefully the people who know best can chyme in and help. But I might not worry just yet.
Mine does this also he is weird.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does this also he is weird.
I got a new blue hippo. A beautiful specimen. First time she got spooked she dove, DOVE into two rocks and hid in there. I thought I was going to have to take the rock structure apart because for sure she was too big to get out of it on her own. Didn’t have to do that thankfully… she has been sleeping between those two darn rocks. All you can see is a wagging fish tail. This fish is 6-7 inches. Also rubs herself on rocks. No sign of illness at all. I just keep repeating: blue hippos are little weirdos… BUT they are also awesome.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a new blue hippo. A beautiful specimen. First time she got spooked she dove, DOVE into two rocks and hid in there. I thought I was going to have to take the rock structure apart because for sure she was too big to get out of it on her own. Didn’t have to do that thankfully… she has been sleeping between those two darn rocks. All you can see is a wagging fish tail. This fish is 6-7 inches. Also rubs herself on rocks. No sign of illness at all. I just keep repeating: blue hippos are little weirdos… BUT they are also awesome.
Agree! Mine likes to go in his sleep spot that he had when he was smaller (less than an inch when I got him) and now he gets stuck at 3inches and I have to lift rocks out for him! Weirdos

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
While laying down and playing dead is a trait of theirs, you want to assure no heavy breathing, unusual swim behavior and loss of appetite amongst others as it is often believed this is a norm and actual issue is ignored and suddenly its reported as mysterious death

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has the flukes 100000 percent. Found my royal gramma with at least 15 of them on him. He’s not doing to well, was able to freshwater dip and get this picture

IMG_1105.jpeg
Those are Neobenedenia flukes, the one species that I mentioned that you can see without a microscope.

Trouble is, with serious infections, knocking all the flukes at one time can pose a problem. The flukes act like little corks, when they all drop off at once, it can cause a fish to bleed out, hopefully the gramma made it.

Hyposalinity is the best treatment for Neo, but can’t be used with invertebrates. In that case, three doses of Prazipro spaced 8 days apart with good aeration would be the next best choice.

Jay

OP
OP
S

SimplisticDesign

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are Neobenedenia flukes, the one species that I mentioned that you can see without a microscope.

Trouble is, with serious infections, knocking all the flukes at one time can pose a problem. The flukes act like little corks, when they all drop off at once, it can cause a fish to bleed out, hopefully the gramma made it.

Hyposalinity is the best treatment for Neo, but can’t be used with invertebrates. In that case, three doses of Prazipro spaced 8 days apart with good aeration would be the next best choice.

Jay
Hey Jay,

Thanks for the response. Dosed PraziPro quickly after you wrote this, unfortunately the gramma did not make it.

I cannot for the life catch this tang, and I believe he has more than just neobenedenia flukes. I believe he has velvet as well. Thoughts ? What should my next treatment. My biggest mistake in reef keeping to date.
IMG_1209.png
IMG_1210.png IMG_1208.png IMG_1207.png

Attachments

• IMG_1206.mov
    16 MB

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back