Cardinal fish eggs

Vincent100

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 5, 2016
Messages
1,423
Reaction score
1,820
Location
Kent
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a single cardinal fish which is a good size
This morning before lights on I saw what looked like a pinkish sack with loads of eggs in it hanging from underneath
As I went closer to the tank to get a better look I spooked her and the sack detached from her
Straight away she swallowed the eggs into her mouth
What's going on here ?
I know the eggs can't be fertilized as I've only the one cardinal
Do they just do this once they get to breeding age ?
Thanks

MVIMG_20180422_143843.jpg


IMG_20180422_143842.jpg


IMG_20180422_143838.jpg
 
So I have a single cardinal fish which is a good size
This morning before lights on I saw what looked like a pinkish sack with loads of eggs in it hanging from underneath
As I went closer to the tank to get a better look I spooked her and the sack detached from her
Straight away she swallowed the eggs into her mouth
What's going on here ?
I know the eggs can't be fertilized as I've only the one cardinal
Do they just do this once they get to breeding age ?
Thanks

MVIMG_20180422_143843.jpg


IMG_20180422_143842.jpg


IMG_20180422_143838.jpg
Mine has done this a few times also, I only have one cardinal. I have seen her put the eggs in the rock or swim around with them in her mouth. They are naturally mouth brooders, I just assume the eggs end up as free food to my wrasse
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 18.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 40 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new