Cardinal fish.

frankin09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 37 gallon tall tank and I have 2 clowns, 6 line wrasse and a yellow tail blenny. I want to add cardinal fish but in my lfs they said I need 3. I thought I could get away with just a pair. I’m running a HOB and a green killing killing machine 9w.

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they do tend to school.. I have never heard the rule of 3 with these guys. however.. I will say... they should be added at the same time.. and same size.. I had a large one (by itself)... established in a tank.. added 3 others.. (small) they were a gift... all were dead within 2 days.. they large one just beat the @#$ out of them (before I could do anything helpful)

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are talking about Bangaii Cardinalfish you will want a pair. Any more than that in a small tank will mean certain death for the odd one. I have 2 breeding pairs in my 80 gallon lagoon. They literally split the tank in half with territory.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they do tend to school.. I have never heard the rule of 3 with these guys. however.. I will say... they should be added at the same time.. and same size.. I had a large one (by itself)... established in a tank.. added 3 others.. (small) they were a gift... all were dead within 2 days.. they large one just beat the @#$ out of them (before I could do anything helpful)
Woah, what Cardinals were they? I was thinking of adding a few more to go with my single big bertha too but now you've got my attention...

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are like little grouper fish...

they are cool when they breed (which isnt too hard).. the babies are super cute (if you can keep them from being eaten)..

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20211005_124053.jpg

The babies are def cute and tiny.

OP
OP
frankin09

frankin09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they mainly stay on upper half of the tank? I have a power head aimed towards the surface.

Back