Care and feeding of a lesser starlet coral

rhailey931

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks!

I just started up a 32 g Biocube and along with my live rock, I got this stowaway. I've been told it's a lesser starlet coral, and that seems to fit with the pictures from my web search. There wasn't a ton of info regarding care and feeding, so I'm turning to y'all for help.

What I could find said that it did have zooxanthellae algae so some of it's feeding is through light, but that phytoplankton was also needed. I wasn't planning on starting with stony corals this early, but here we are. I'd like to keep this coral alive and healthy.

My questions are:
1. The rock is at the bottom of my aquarium. Should I elevate it for more light?
2. Should I spot feed the coral using a turkey baster with the phyto, and if so, how much and how often?

Thanks for any information you can give me!

20200117_151137.jpg

TheBackAndForth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That coral should be pretty hardy and do fine with regular tank maintenance and water changes with a reef salt. I'd guess it likes on the low to medium end of quality lighting, so if you have lights suitable for coral just start low and ramp up carefully. I wouldnt worry about feeding it.

I think the 'ugly brown' but uncommon stony corals are the most fun

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back