Caribbean anemone hosting a clownfish

chubbyhubby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a caribbean anemone or so i think . Any way my male clown has been hovering over it for the last few days will he host it . The clown has been in tank with female for around 8mths had the Caribbean anemone for around 4 week's.
20170108_104725.jpeg
now the female seems to be paying interest in it as well .

OP
OP
chubbyhubby

chubbyhubby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a caribbean anemone or so i think . Any way my male clown has been hovering over it for the last few days will he host it . The clown has been in tank with female for around 8mths had the Caribbean anemone for around 4 week's.
20170108_104725.jpeg

badd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns will use anything as a host.. a rock..a corner..they really are strange fish... they might try to use nem as host.. and just to be clear.. clown use things as host... clowns dont host anything :)

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some clowns and domino damsel will reside in Condylatis, although Condylactis is not a natural host. Condylactis is also capable of eating fish.

OP
OP
chubbyhubby

chubbyhubby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for the help what nem is good for common clown them

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170108_104725.jpeg
They sure will !!!

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like they are acclimating to the anemones sting, developing the coating that prevents the anemone from recognizing the fish as a food source. If the clowns are in physical contact with the anemone, they are probably safe. It's the unknowing clown that has not been hosted by anemone with the powerful sting that Condylactis have. I have had clowns upon their introduction dive into anemones, carpets, BTA, Condylactic, only to be stung and become a meal. I have also seen clowns newly introduced to an unfamiliar anemone dive right in and live happily ever after.

OP
OP
chubbyhubby

chubbyhubby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks tahoe61 makes alot of sense. Does it take long to build up

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks tahoe61 makes alot of sense. Does it take long to build up

Really wish I could give you a definite answer. It seems like clown and anemone relationship is still not completely understood. The development of the protective coating and what exactly that coating does, and is, does not seem to be definitive. The only conclusion is that the anemone no longer recognizes the presence of the clown, the coating prevents the anemone from sensing the clown as either a protein, or carb/sugar. The nematocycst are not fired by the anemone.

Interestingly, even clownfish that are innately protected exhibit this “acclimation behavior.” After initial contact, they acquire antigens from the anemone they have encountered. It has been proposed that these antigens serve as a type of “chemical camouflage” for the fish. With the acquisition of these antigens, the anemone is no longer able to distinguish between itself and the clownfish. The result is that the anenome no longer reacts to the fish by stinging. https://asknature.org/strategy/mucus-coat-protects-from-sea-anemone/

Based on everything I have read or seen on the subject leads me to believe there is more than one explanation for why some clowns do fine with a new anemone and others clowns are stung upon introduction.

OP
OP
chubbyhubby

chubbyhubby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting some great help . Thanks . As long as the fish are ok if there in a high risk id sooner swap the nem at my lfs for a bta

badd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blenny would lay on the condy.. and clowns would ignore... so its all hit or miss.. but I would say pretty safe..unless clown is really small.. lol.. but I can say.. with bta..I dont feel a thing...but with the condy..it would feel like a small shock..if I touched it..

OP
OP
chubbyhubby

chubbyhubby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you say about your blenny. Iv noticed tonight my royal gramy hiding under the condy

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back