Clownfish aggression after 2 years?

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 2 clowns (oscelaris or however you spell it) that I have had since they were pretty small. About 2 years now. One is clearly larger and the female and has been since I got them. The other is smaller and clearly the male.

2 years and zero issues whatsoever with them or other tank mates (2 pajama cardinals, McKoskers Wrasse, and a Royal gramma) and over the last 2-3 weeks the female clown has been attacking the male. The male looks beat up with nipped fins and white lips and just looks ragged. He is now hiding in my rock work (small cave where female can’t get him and she hovers outside the entrance). She then chases him around the tank aggressively whenever he decides to come out. Not the “normal” domination/vibrating/twitching - seems like full blown aggression.

No other issues with any of the other tank mates, she just goes after him. Any ideas what could’ve caused this?

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yup! Welcome to the Clown World. There a reason they are called clowns.
Oh boy

Think it is something that will pass or do you think it might be something that the female will kill the male? Ik it’s hard without pictures and things like that

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy

Think it is something that will pass or do you think it might be something that the female will kill the male? Ik it’s hard without pictures and things like that
Ya, I had a similar situation, I bought two juveniles, slightly less than an inch. Swam and slept together for a year and a half. Got back from a weeks vacation and the one was at the sand bed nearly beat to death as I watched the other dive bombing him. I put him in an acclimation box but he didn’t survive. I added another with at least a half inch difference without any problems.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Clowns in general are territorial and can get quite nasty when ready

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Should I get a new pair, or try and just swap the male for another small one?
At times, isolation in an acclimation box helps, or placing aggressor in the sump
If not, a new pair

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue with bullying after a peaceful year without issue. My experience was not as bad though. The male ended up knowing its place in the end. I added some hiding places in the aquascape and that seemed to work alright. At least he could hide from Mama when issues arose.

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can try a box, but unfortunately don’t have a sump (AIO)

Thanks!
Tape or hang a mirror to the side of the tank she stays on and she’ll leave him alone. After a few days try removing it and see what happens. Sometimes it works and sometimes not, but it’s an easy and cheap solution. Make sure the mirror is large enough that she can see herself from a distance.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%

Back