Clownfish replacement

jimfish98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 25g tank that had a pair of Mocha Storm Clowns. Over time they were always together, hosted anemone together, and one became the dominate female. Last month however they stopped hosting together and the male would just hang out next to a rock all day. The female never attacked him, but he was alone. His rate of feeding went down, and he eventually starved himself to death. I believe she rejected him and that started the spiral. The question now is what to do with this female.

She is a really great looking clown, but already dominate in the tank. Can I just add two juvinile clowns to the tank to try a 1:2 ratio or hope she only kills one of them? Alternatively I can add her to my 130g reef tank and put two new clowns in the nano tank, however in the 130g there is a standard clown and a black clown. They hang out near each other all the time but I am not sure they are bonded. While my solo Mocha Storm is dominate and a biter, neither of the clowns in the larger tank will come near my hand.

Best options?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back