Caribsea Dry Live Rock?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago before life rock . There was a lot of people making rocks with Portland concrete , oyster shells and mixing in large pieces or salt that will dissolve to make the rocks porous after cured .

I believe life rock is similar
yup agracrete. Ive made it before thats why I said my busted up life tree looked like it. I made a pillar and a background using egg crate in my 75 I had so long ago. BTW I did manage to recoupe about 50% of the cost of that life tree after a restock fee and return shipping. Never doing that again.

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are referring to ocean live rock which is awesome! I think we need to start calling it “ocean live rock” because people in the hobby have started calling all rock “live rock” (even dry stuff) and it confuses people who don’t know.
It's very annoying that the likes of BRS and other vendors and manufacturers call it dry live rock. It can't be live if it is dry. I refuse to call it ocean, or wet live rock as live rock only comes wet from the ocean, or an established tank/holding tank.

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think of you don't want to go the ocean rock route, the next best thing is to look online and locally for someone offloading really old rocks from the indo pacific. Example:

Went to a dude's house, picked out a bunch of really cool pieces with holes and shapes and whatnot. This stuff weighs a quarter of a similar size piece of LifeRock, it's so porous (and hard!). You can probably find it on ebay from time to time. Also cost me half or less of what it would cost for similar sizes of LifeRock.

I put it in a tank with some of my ocean rocks from a year old tank and so far so good. Knock on wood.
I'm in the process of this now. Wanted to add some rock to my 40 as I move it to a drilled 40 with sump. Got about 20lbs of old rock from a local reefer. I bleached it and it's been sitting in a tub for about 4 weeks now ready to go in.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's very annoying that the likes of BRS and other vendors and manufacturers call it dry live rock. It can't be live if it is dry. I refuse to call it ocean, or wet live rock as live rock only comes wet from the ocean, or an established tank/holding tank.
I agree. There was a thread not long ago where I believe someone was stating that dry rock can never be considered live rock no matter how long its been submerged. I do not agree with this, I had to "lose" that thread as it was really getting under my skin. Dry rock that is dry is dry rock. Dry rock thats been in a tank for years is live rock. It way not be as diverse (good or bad) as rock from the ocean but its still got bacteria, pods, worms, sponges and whatever else was in that system.

under_the_see_mon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no way this stuff is quarried. I broke some to make a better scape and it looked more like plaster with some dark cement in places. I even have some spots where the coloring has come off and when I blast my rocks with the baster, a white cloud comes out. I have never seen marco rock do that.

Not saying it's bad by any means, it's just not what it is advertised. I used it in my Evo with good results.

For OP, I would consider at least 20% live

There is no way this stuff is quarried. I broke some to make a better scape and it looked more like plaster with some dark cement in places. I even have some spots where the coloring has come off and when I blast my rocks with the baster, a white cloud comes out. I have never seen marco rock do that.

Not saying it's bad by any means, it's just not what it is advertised. I used it in my Evo with good results.

For OP, I would consider at least 20% live rock.
Waddup. I have the same rock and same problem. See pics of my purple going away and now exposing white areas. Concerned bc when I blast it, white powder clouds shoot up also.

Didn't think much about it, but wondering if linked to my phosphate Spikes? I hear phosphates are in rock and sand. Am I jus releasing phosphates everytime I blast those white spots into my water?

Using Hanna tester. Phos be 0.08-1.0. After blasting the rock, the next day phosphates are 0.3 and once 0.4. Then I have to throw in some phosguard.

Any thoughts? Appreciate it.
20230701_224646.jpg
20230701_224609.jpg
20230701_224620.jpg
Can't tell much in the pics, but the white parts are straight up white. It does look like plaster and easy to scrap. W T F

Last edited:

under_the_see_mon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waddup. I have the same rock and same problem. See pics of my purple going away and now exposing white areas. Concerned bc when I blast it, white powder clouds shoot up also.

Didn't think much about it, but wondering if linked to my phosphate Spikes? I hear phosphates are in rock and sand. Am I jus releasing phosphates everytime I blast those white spots into my water?

Using Hanna tester. Phos be 0.08-1.0. After blasting the rock, the next day phosphates are 0.3 and once 0.4. Then I have to throw in some phosguard.

Any thoughts? Appreciate it.
20230701_224646.jpg
20230701_224609.jpg
20230701_224620.jpg
Can't tell much in the pics, but the white parts are straight up white. It does look like plaster and easy to scrap. what the heck.
Here's a video. Not as cloudy bc took this video after I already blasted for the night.

Last edited:

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at my LFS yesterday, and they had some purple rock available - they guy said that these are fake and it's painted to look like Coraline algae and is not really made from rock. I think it was Caribsea. Then I came across this product as shown - it's suppose to be real rock and not concrete or other 'human made' means.

Not sure if anyone here has used before, or can clarify Caribsea line of rock products?

rock.JPG
I use my LFS purple rock. Caribsea I think, sounds like what you found. Only mine isnt painted, its dipped in a coralline and bacteria stain for cycling, never had an issue. Bot sure why the guy said painted but if its actually painted hard pass

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back