Caroline algae

  • Thread starter Thread starter TUSI
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 6, 2013
Messages
2,755
Reaction score
3,208
Location
GARDEN CITY NY
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
has any one experienced Caroline algae growing around a base of an sps coral and kill by growing over its tissue. Had small frag were it got killed by Caroline algae started growing from the base up and now my Phoenix monti it seems like the same thing happening. Any suggestions?
 
That's a tough one... It's hard, maybe impossible to keep it from growing wherever. I have noticed in my tank that for some reason a couple of my emerald crabs love to eat it. Could you maybe chip some off with a razor or exato knife?it may damage the flesh of the sps a bit but at least it may recover and continue to grow.
 
Yes I might have to do something cause I don't want to loose my coral. It's very weird.
 
It seams like that may be your only plan of attac for this issue. Cause even if you mounted the frags to be elevated alittle above the Rock, the coraline will eventually grow back on what you mounted the frag to.
 
Yes in this case my Phoenix Monty is on a plug so it's flat. I might have to cut that PC of and hope it recovers. My Caroline always grows in the wrong places
 
IMO, macroalgae doesn't like iodine based dips. It has to be a fairly strong dip, however. I use Seachem's Reef Dip. It works best if you can dip the algae in undiluted iodine dip without getting any on the coral and wait for about 30 seconds to a minute. I always have a container of tank water ready to rinse the frag in...sooner than later if I dribble iodine dip on the coral, which is practically always. Peroxide works with this method, as well.
 
My situstion is very weird. I think it's a different specy cause it happen twice and its in the same area
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new