Carpenter's flasher wrasse - odd white stripes

Auburn866

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if anyone has seen this before. I have a Carpenter's wrasse and Royal Gramma in QT, both have been through Prazi and are on day 10 of Cupramine. I brought the Cupramine up very slowly to .5 and both showed no adverse affects to it. However, I did a 30% water change 2 days ago and brought the Cupramine back up to .5, and the wrasse looked like it was gone. It was lying on the bottom of the tank most of the day and refused to eat. I am using the Seachem copper test kit and it might have been a tad over .5 so I did a 10% water change to bring it between .45 and .5. The next day the wrasse's condition began to improve and he began eating. However, he had these strange white stripes down one side of his body and he looked pale. The stripes looked almost too organized to be a bacteria infection but I'm not positive. Today the wrasse is 100% back to normal, eating well and has full color back with no signs of the stripes. Should I treat both with Kanaplex after finishing Cupramine for safe measure or can this happen to a wrasse when they are stressed? I just really hate to treat unnecessarily but don't want him in my DT with problems (even though these are the first 2 fish). Also, 0 ammonia, monitoring with ammonia alert.

Joel B.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flasher Wrasse have stress coloration that sounds very close to what you're describing, they pale out and gain light/white looking splotches/lines combined with playing dead laying on the sand or rocks.

OP
OP
Auburn866

Auburn866

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I was thinking and hoping. Thank you!

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if anyone has seen this before. I have a Carpenter's wrasse and Royal Gramma in QT, both have been through Prazi and are on day 10 of Cupramine. I brought the Cupramine up very slowly to .5 and both showed no adverse affects to it. However, I did a 30% water change 2 days ago and brought the Cupramine back up to .5, and the wrasse looked like it was gone. It was lying on the bottom of the tank most of the day and refused to eat. I am using the Seachem copper test kit and it might have been a tad over .5 so I did a 10% water change to bring it between .45 and .5. The next day the wrasse's condition began to improve and he began eating. However, he had these strange white stripes down one side of his body and he looked pale. The stripes looked almost too organized to be a bacteria infection but I'm not positive. Today the wrasse is 100% back to normal, eating well and has full color back with no signs of the stripes. Should I treat both with Kanaplex after finishing Cupramine for safe measure or can this happen to a wrasse when they are stressed? I just really hate to treat unnecessarily but don't want him in my DT with problems (even though these are the first 2 fish). Also, 0 ammonia, monitoring with ammonia alert.
Sorry I just had a similar problem with my mccoskers after doing a water change. I was treating with cupramine and he was fine but I did a big water change and he turned pale with uniformed white striped down his side. Do you think the water change is too big a change for them? What do you think causes it?

OP
OP
Auburn866

Auburn866

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did it when stressed, from what I gathered, these fish do not do well with copper, I switched from Cupramine to Copper Power as this seems easier on the fish.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did it when stressed, from what I gathered, these fish do not do well with copper, I switched from Cupramine to Copper Power as this seems easier on the fish.
Thank you, I haven’t heard of copper power but I heard in terms of copper medication and medication in general cupramine is not that harsh. I was going to go another route with nox ich, or ich c but after research and much advice I see that those are actually more harsh than copper

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 115 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back