Wrasse Popeye overnight

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello. I have 4 wrasses in a 10 gallon. Two blue star and two ornate. I got them all 4 days ago. I added sand at day two and both ornate went for the sand. After one day in the sand one comes out with both eyes bulging. It literally happened in 24 hours. How does this happen? I’ve read about over saturation. I had a large bubbler blasting bubbles in the tank. Maybe I over did it? Unfortunately the wrasse is breathing fast now and on its side more. I’ve added kanaplex to qt tank. How does this happen that fast? Bacteria? Over saturation ? There is no ammonia and they are not skinny. I have not personally seen the ornate wrasse eat. The blue star both eat live brine so far.

IMG_2214.png IMG_2215.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello. I have 4 wrasses in a 10 gallon. Two blue star and two ornate. I got them all 4 days ago. I added sand at day two and both ornate went for the sand. After one day in the sand one comes out with both eyes bulging. It literally happened in 24 hours. How does this happen? I’ve read about over saturation. I had a large bubbler blasting bubbles in the tank. Maybe I over did it? Unfortunately the wrasse is breathing fast now and on its side more. I’ve added kanaplex to qt tank. How does this happen that fast? Bacteria? Over saturation ? There is no ammonia and they are not skinny. I have not personally seen the ornate wrasse eat. The blue star both eat live brine so far.

Looks like both eyes and can be from either mechanical injury or bacterial infection. Cant tell from pic what your reading is for ammonia but appears higher than .025 and I suggest both a water change and treatment in a separate tank using Maracyn as shown below for at least 5 days with added aeration.

1711922952117.png

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like both eyes and can be from either mechanical injury or bacterial infection. Cant tell from pic what your reading is for ammonia but appears higher than .025 and I suggest both a water change and treatment in a separate tank using Maracyn as shown below for at least 5 days with added aeration.

1711922952117.png
I just ordered some. I only had kanaplex so I’ll use that until this comes. You really think this can happen in a matter of 24 hours from a bacteria? I’ve been reading about over saturation.

Attachments

• IMG_2217.jpeg
    IMG_2217.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 16

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just ordered some. I only had kanaplex so I’ll use that until this comes. You really think this can happen in a matter of 24 hours from a bacteria? I’ve been reading about over saturation.
From bacteria.... usually progressive and from injury, fairly quick

Robert Ranciato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A 10 gallon tank is way to small for 4 wrasse. Even for quarantine it's to small. The fish probably went crazy and bumped his eyes against the glass or the sand.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A 10 gallon tank is way to small for 4 wrasse. Even for quarantine it's to small. The fish probably went crazy and bumped his eyes against the glass or the sand.
I’m only observing for 2 weeks. The fish are pretty small especially the blue star pair. They aren’t even an inch each. But I understand you. I intended to only get two but they messed my order up and sent me 4

IMG_2191.jpeg

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does not look like much sand in there. Is there more sand in a dish? Possible injury if it dove into shallow sand and smashed its head into the glass. Not sure if that can cause the bulging eyes.
I wouldn’t think that would cause both eyes to bulge that fast thought. Maybe one eye from injury but both? The other wrasses seem fine.

Attachments

• IMG_2191.jpeg
    IMG_2191.jpeg
    185.3 KB · Views: 16

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oddly, strong aeration reduces popeye as it degasses the water.

This is either flukes or mechanical trauma I’d say.

Here is an article I wrote on fish eye health:

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oddly, strong aeration reduces popeye as it degasses the water.

This is either flukes or mechanical trauma I’d say.

Here is an article I wrote on fish eye health:
I read article. Would you recommend dipping the fish in fresh water to check for flukes if the fish is already struggling? I’m hesitant to dose prazi since I have 3 other wrassses in same tank and I read prazi is tough on wrasse.

Could flukes cause normal eyes then full blown popped on both eyes in 24 hours ? That’s what is making me thinking maybe trauma related. Fish is swimming weird and breathing faster. I expect this one to die unfortunately

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read article. Would you recommend dipping the fish in fresh water to check for flukes if the fish is already struggling? I’m hesitant to dose prazi since I have 3 other wrassses in same tank and I read prazi is tough on wrasse.

Could flukes cause normal eyes then full blown popped on both eyes in 24 hours ? That’s what is making me thinking maybe trauma related. Fish is swimming weird and breathing faster. I expect this one to die unfortunately

No - flukes cause cloudy eyes first, then the start to look like this.

Eye injuries are *usually* one eye at a time, but it is possible for both eyes to be affected. I use that to try and tell the two similar symptoms apart.

The rapid breathing implies something else is going on here though......

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
we
No - flukes cause cloudy eyes first, then the start to look like this.

Eye injuries are *usually* one eye at a time, but it is possible for both eyes to be affected. I use that to try and tell the two similar symptoms apart.

The rapid breathing implies something else is going on here though......
yea I agree just a little stumped. Even if there was something else wrong like internal parasites, velvet etc doesn’t explain how I got the fish 4 days ago and it developed full blown pop eye in a matter of 24 hours when it went into sand. It came out eyes popped and breathing heavy. Hmm.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
we

yea I agree just a little stumped. Even if there was something else wrong like internal parasites, velvet etc doesn’t explain how I got the fish 4 days ago and it developed full blown pop eye in a matter of 24 hours when it went into sand. It came out eyes popped and breathing heavy. Hmm.
1. Trauma is the most likely cause (as others have said)
2. IF it is a pure bacterial infection after an injury - it can certainly 'pop-up' overnight. I'm not sure you can or can-not blame the sand, etc.
So - There is certainly a role for an antibiotic.

I'm just going to give an editorial comment - for other readers of the thread as well as the OP - so to @christwendt - please don't take this comment as a criticism. Your case illustrates pretty well why it's many times a good thing to follow (if not the one from R2R, another quarantine protocol). Because its extremely commen for the fish medics to get a question like yours - where things have been done somewhat differently, and it becomes very difficult for anyone to pick up all of the possible causes (i.e. here we have the possibility of 3 things 1)Popeye with bacterial infection, 2) Potential flukes (which would require Prazipro) 3) Something (flukes, velvet) causing rapid breathing which may suggest another medication (i.e. copper) may be required (if velvet, etc).

To me it does not look like your ammonia is an issue (on the alert) - and though some people don't care for them - yours looks pretty convincing that at this point ammonia is ok.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back