Possum wrasse with popeye

karsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a possum wrasse that developed popeye a few days ago. It’s kind of hard getting him to pose for a picture. It sleeps in the rock so thought it might have damaged it and would just need to let it heal. I want to be sure that there’s nothing else I should do though. Any help would be appreciated.
IMG_2864.jpeg
IMG_2866.jpeg
IMG_2868.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a possum wrasse that developed popeye a few days ago. It’s kind of hard getting him to pose for a picture. It sleeps in the rock so thought it might have damaged it and would just need to let it heal. I want to be sure that there’s nothing else I should do though. Any help would be appreciated.
IMG_2864.jpeg
IMG_2866.jpeg
IMG_2868.jpeg
How long has this developed?
This is a severe protrusion and needs inmediate treatment in a separate tank. Likely stemmed from injury but need more history to determine including any tank aggression
Treatment will be Maracyn as pictured

1705035385821.png

OP
OP
K

karsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It first showed up about 3 days ago. Have had him for about 2 weeks. No aggression in the tank. There’s a Tailspot blenny, firefish and yellow clown goby with him.

Would this work, have it on hand?
IMG_0537.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It first showed up about 3 days ago. Have had him for about 2 weeks. No aggression in the tank. There’s a Tailspot blenny, firefish and yellow clown goby with him.

Would this work, have it on hand?
IMG_0537.jpeg
That will work, but should be dosed in a treatment tank. Also, catching the fish to move it needs to be done carefully, you don’t want it to injure its other eye.

Jay

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is…. Extreme. Did he make it? Dealing with this with a new bimac that developed it day after shipping. Most likely hit a rock when diving for cover upon release, not as bad as yours, at least not yet! For now treating reef with Epson per Humblefish’s guidelines.

for them both!

IMG_5457.jpeg IMG_5456.jpeg

OP
OP
K

karsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to move him to a QT as soon as I got the feedback. His eye had “deflated” overnight but he did fine through treatment he did however end up losing the eye. He’s back in the main tank seemly doing well now though

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to move him to a QT as soon as I got the feedback. His eye had “deflated” overnight but he did fine through treatment he did however end up losing the eye. He’s back in the main tank seemly doing well now though
Well, that’s mostly good news! One eye and a live healthy fish is better than a dead fish!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is…. Extreme. Did he make it? Dealing with this with a new bimac that developed it day after shipping. Most likely hit a rock when diving for cover upon release, not as bad as yours, at least not yet! For now treating reef with Epson per Humblefish’s guidelines.

for them both!

IMG_5457.jpeg IMG_5456.jpeg

Epsom salts is not appropriate for treating marine fish, it is a freshwater tonic that has become misapplied to marine systems. Epsom salts are magnesium sulfate. The seawater in our aquariums is made up of about 20% of that salt already, so adding a little bit more is of no benefit.

Since these eye issues tend to heal on their own, when people add Epsom salts and the eye recovers, they think that it was the salt, when actually, it was just time.

Jay

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Epsom salts is not appropriate for treating marine fish, it is a freshwater tonic that has become misapplied to marine systems. Epsom salts are magnesium sulfate. The seawater in our aquariums is made up of about 20% of that salt already, so adding a little bit more is of no benefit.

Since these eye issues tend to heal on their own, when people add Epsom salts and the eye recovers, they think that it was the salt, when actually, it was just time.

Jay
I've seen Vette saying that on here a couple times when I searched about this, I also see that @Humblefish still recommending it consistently to the present day. Chemically what you are saying would seem face valid, is also what I would assume, but I know enough to know I'm no chemist!

Do you know for a fact that this difference in ratio would make no osmotic impact? I assume there have been no empirical studies. I always thought Humblefish was big on empirical treatments/trustworthy, but I don't now what he is basing this one on, maybe he's wrong or its controversial? Also can you clarify what you mean by saying that it's "not appropriate" please? Are you saying it could be harmful?

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you don’t add huge amounts of Epsom salts it won’t be harmful. In high amounts it will skew the ionic composition of the water.

The only recognized use for Epsom salts in marine fish is orally as a purgative for Hexamita and Spironuleus protozoans. Herwig's 1976 formulary even says, "freshwater only", so they knew back then that it doesn't help with marine fish.

People don’t realize it, but sea salt formulations are fluid - they use whatever salt is the cheapest at the time to get them to their target ionic consistency. That means when magnesium sulfate is cheaper, they use more of that in their mix. When mag chloride is a good buy, they may use more off that and manage the sulfate with another salt. The upshot of this is to completely negate any minor addition of Epsom salts - it varies in different batches anyway.

Jay

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always sad to see I’ve encountered this in freshwater never in salt I hope the treatment goes well.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I’m dealing with. He doesn’t like to give me an angle on his bad eye. I think it’s moderate but I’ve not seen this too many times so idk. He is eating but won’t come off the back wall. The females are fearless now but he’s slower to acclimate.

Attachments

• IMG_5501.jpeg
    IMG_5501.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5500.jpeg
    IMG_5500.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5503.jpeg
    IMG_5503.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5512.jpeg
    IMG_5512.jpeg
    103.3 KB · Views: 45

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I’m dealing with. He doesn’t like to give me an angle on his bad eye. I think it’s moderate but I’ve not seen this too many times so idk. He is eating but won’t come off the back wall. The females are fearless now but he’s slower to acclimate.

I can't tell, is there a distinct air bubble in the eye? If so, the sucess rate for this resolving is lessened. If no bubble is visible, then I would expect the eye swelling to go down in a month or so.

Here is an article I did on fish eye health some time ago. It won't solve the issue for you, but will give some background information:

Jay

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell, is there a distinct air bubble in the eye? If so, the sucess rate for this resolving is lessened. If no bubble is visible, then I would expect the eye swelling to go down in a month or so.

Here is an article I did on fish eye health some time ago. It won't solve the issue for you, but will give some background information:

Jay
I did read it. It’s very good. You know I read that you mentioned the eye bubble before so I’ve been trying to see, I really can’t tell in person either. He’s pretty shy. I’ll try to get a better view/photo.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Best I can do for now. I don’t think we have a bubble, hard to tell. Relying on too much digital zoom…

IMG_5554.jpeg IMG_5552.jpeg IMG_5553.jpeg IMG_5557.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best I can do for now. I don’t think we have a bubble, hard to tell. Relying on too much digital zoom…

IMG_5554.jpeg IMG_5552.jpeg IMG_5553.jpeg IMG_5557.jpeg
Bubbles will reflect silver, I don’t see that here, so fingers crossed!

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it got a bit worse but is now improving. That said, there is a small gas bubble in the upper lens along the edge. Above the size of a soda bubble on a glass. I will try to get a photo later. Lens is clear. Behavior is improving.

Are we on the road to recovery or does the bubble mean bad news for sure?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it got a bit worse but is now improving. That said, there is a small gas bubble in the upper lens along the edge. Above the size of a soda bubble on a glass. I will try to get a photo later. Lens is clear. Behavior is improving.

Are we on the road to recovery or does the bubble mean bad news for sure?
Large Bubbles have difficulty reabsorbing, and they tend to stay and pull upward on the eye. I’ve tried removing them with a needle, but never got that to work.

Jay

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large Bubbles have difficulty reabsorbing, and they tend to stay and pull upward on the eye. I’ve tried removing them with a needle, but never got that to work.

Jay
Well it’s small for now, so here’s to hoping and watching and waiting I guess! Thanks

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the the current situation!

Attachments

• IMG_5704.jpeg
    IMG_5704.jpeg
    125.7 KB · Views: 50

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back