Banggai cardinal with popeye

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed my banggai cardinal has popeye this morning. I did a tank upgrade almost 3 weeks ago.

How should this be treated ? Keep in mind I’m in Canada and I no access to meds except I have general cure and Copper power.

Some pics and a video
IMG_2257.jpeg

IMG_2258.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Much of the time Popeye is related to an injury - especially if only on one side. General cure would not likely be helpful. If it's swimming normally, and eating, etc - and not any other signs of illness. Curious - did you QT all of your fish when you initially put them in the tank.

Now, if it starts to show any other symptoms, or worsens, you could consider general cure - just because it could be flukes (especially if spreads to the other eye). If it does worsen, you could try that - but I would do it in a hospital tank rather than the display. Also - Popeye is usually treated with an antibiotic (like neomycin or kanamycin). If you know a veterinarian, they can get you a prescription for an antibiotic.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also - Popeye is usually treated with an antibiotic (like neomycin or kanamycin). If you know a veterinarian, they can get you a prescription for an antibiotic
Forget it. I’ve been trying for years to get a vet to prescribe me anything. There is only one place in my province and they want you to bring the fish in to examine it and they are, 2-3 hours away, one way. Canada sucks for fishkeeping.

As for QT, no I don’t. I’ve had this fish for almost 3 years. There are new additions in the tank and we’re in the critical stage right now, where disease could strike so I am watching like a hawk. I choose my vendors very carefully and only buy from the same 2 or 3 which I’ve used for years.

eta : I would definitely set up a hospital tank if he needs treatment. I have what is required and I’ve done it before. I usually don’t dose in my display.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Forget it. I’ve been trying for years to get a vet to prescribe me anything. There is only one place in my province and they want you to bring the fish in to examine it and they are, 2-3 hours away, one way. Canada sucks for fishkeeping.

As for QT, no I don’t. I’ve had this fish for almost 3 years. There are new additions in the tank and we’re in the critical stage right now, where disease could strike so I am watching like a hawk. I choose my vendors very carefully and only buy from the same 2 or 3 which I’ve used for years.

eta : I would definitely set up a hospital tank if he needs treatment. I have what is required and I’ve done it before. I usually don’t dose in my display.
I believe you can get ruby rally pro in Canada- will work slower and very safe
Also Canada Fish mart

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you can get ruby rally pro in Canada- will work slower and very safe
Also Canada Fish mart
Yes, I bought some a while ago but it was winter and it got here frozen and unusable. Since then it’s no longer available, at least where I found it.

Nothing is simple around here as far as meds go.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, I bought some a while ago but it was winter and it got here frozen and unusable. Since then it’s no longer available, at least where I found it.

Nothing is simple around here as far as meds go.
I would observe - since the likelihood is injury - it may get better on its own. General cure has an antibiotic (metronidazole) - which is used mainly for anaerobic bacteria it can treat others as well as protozoa. So - I suppose you could use general cure in a separate tank - if it worsens as a last resort

alexanderthefishlover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed my banggai cardinal has popeye this morning. I did a tank upgrade almost 3 weeks ago.

How should this be treated ? Keep in mind I’m in Canada and I no access to meds except I have general cure and Copper power.

Some pics and a video
IMG_2257.jpeg

IMG_2258.jpeg

How do you have copper power? I just tried to order it into Canada and the border security seized it today…… I’m so mad. Literally, there is nothing nox ich where I am in Vancouver BC.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you have copper power? I just tried to order it into Canada and the border security seized it today…… I’m so mad. Literally, there is nothing nox ich where I am in Vancouver BC.
I don’t remember where I bought it. Probably Amazon Canada. You were unlucky, that sucks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back