Fish organ ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Should I still keep it in the hospital tank or would he have a better chance in his usual environment, the main tank ?
I’d let it heal in the hospital tank - that way if the condition worsens, you can treat it with antibiotics.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe he can be a pirate :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Screenshot_20240213-193345.png

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are none in my area. I tried all that not too long ago. They don’t do zoom either in my province. The only place is 2 hours one way, and they want you to bring the fish in so they can examine it. They could lose their license if they don’t so nobody will help me.
That is crazy - and unfortunate. As others have said, an antibiotic is not required - but IMHO could be a good preventative.
He sure will but he needs to survive first. Poor thing is not doing well at all at the moment. He might have a chance if he survives the night. His injury looks bad. :-(
IMHO I agree with Jay - however also IMHO - it's worsening. per your report. And - I would treat it with kanamycin Contrary to popular opinion it also has gram positive activity - and if it's all you have - its low risk. watching dose, etc per instructions. Hope this helps.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for helping.

Unfortunately I don’t have much hope to get a prescription.

I do have this dog dewormer on hand (fenbendazole, 1 packet for 10 lbs dog). Is it worth trying ?

1707841033880.jpeg
Antibiotics wont change a thing. As mentioned, mine too lost an eye and another person I know of and the fish function(s) just fine. Ethromyacin is not going to grow back nor heal anything at this point
Canada is tough when it comes to meds. Check with Pets drug mart I believe in Montreal. They can get you some meds which are hard to come by

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for helping.

Unfortunately I don’t have much hope to get a prescription.

I do have this dog dewormer on hand (fenbendazole, 1 packet for 10 lbs dog). Is it worth trying ?

1707841033880.jpeg
Check with Pets drug mart I believe in Montreal. They can get you some meds which are hard to come by

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO I agree with Jay - however also IMHO - it's worsening. per your report. And - I would treat it with kanamycin Contrary to popular opinion it also has gram positive activity - and if it's all you have - its low risk. watching dose, etc per instructions. Hope this helps.
I found Kanaplex in my fish pharmacy so he is on it now. Hopefully it helps.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Antibiotics wont change a thing. As mentioned, mine too lost an eye and another person I know of and the fish function(s) just fine. Ethromyacin is not going to grow back nor heal anything at this point
IMHO - after an injury with a ruptured globe - it's an invitation for infection. If it's not infected now (which - to me it is) - it will be soon. I agree with you - it looks bad, I would not use erythromycin - I would just use kanamycin. It is low risk - and may prevent issues. However, Its also possible - in most cases - where there is just pop-eye, to watch it - this one to me - has past the point of just watching - again only my opinion. I see both ways. Of course an antibiotic will not prevent/replace the eye. However, it can prevent meningitis / systemic infection. (meningitis is not the right 'fish word' but I think you can get the general idea

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is no argument here - since you have it and have started it - I would complete the course of kanamycin. Even with it - that is a significant injury / potential infection

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Kanamycin is kanaplex.
Which I thought you said you had - sorry

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, I do and he is on it right now ! I didn’t know it was the same. Thanks ! :)
There are two schools of thought - do nothing or treat. Looking at the wound, I would treat - just like a doctor would treat with eye drops (impossible in fish) - for a scratched eyeball or traumatic injury. IMHO - the key here - is that the protection from the eye epithelium is now ripped due to 'whatever'. That is why I'm saying you may as well go with antibiotics.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are two schools of thought - do nothing or treat. Looking at the wound, I would treat - just like a doctor would treat with eye drops (impossible in fish) - for a scratched eyeball or traumatic injury. IMHO - the key here - is that the protection from the eye epithelium is now ripped due to 'whatever'. That is why I'm saying you may as well go with antibiotics.
I agree. His eye looks pretty bad and needs treatment. Since I have it, I might as well use it.

I’m also planning to buy Ruby Reef rally and Praziquantel from Amazon.com when the weather is nicer, so it doesn’t freeze. For next time, hoping it never happens.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back