Fish organ ?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I caught my Banggai cardinal to put it into a hospital tank because it has had a popeye for about 2 weeks and it’s not getting better.

Unfortunately it fell on the floor and this round, transparent thing (organ ?) was on the floor right beside it. It is transparent, firm but will bend when pressed, without breaking. It is about the size of a green pea, maybe a little bit bigger.

Right now the fish is in the hospital tank with general cure (the only med I have that I was told to use in another thread).

I’m a little bit freaked out. He still has both his eyes so what is this ?

1707788626943.png

1707788654793.png

1707788689528.png

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does the eye look after the fall
I put the fish in the tank and it was night time so just briefly looked and I’m not sure. I wanted to start the medication ASAP and let it recover from the fall.

I’ll be checking tomorrow morning and taking pictures.

That is part of the eye... lense sphere..
OMG, I am so sad. I suppose he will be blind from that eye. Will he die from losing it ?

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a question.
Do you have 2 of them or just the one.

If two, may be a fish egg as Banggai are mouth breaders and dropping him the floor may have popped an egg from his mouth.

I know it’s a long shot but putting it out there.
Oh, how I wish I had two. Unless he mated with the pajama cardinal ?

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I put the fish in the tank and it was night time so just briefly looked and I’m not sure. I wanted to start the medication ASAP and let it recover from the fall.

I’ll be checking tomorrow morning and taking pictures.

OMG, I am so sad. I suppose he will be blind from that eye. Will he die from losing it ?
Agree on it being an eye and mine did the same and has had one eye for close to two years without being abnormal. Its unfortunate but the fish will do well

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
erythromycin, for eye issues.

I have a brawler damsel that lost an eye many years ago and she is still a jerk. Not the biggest fish but she runs the tank, picks at everyone else and probably would keep at it if she lost the other one.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
erythromycin, for eye issues.

I have a brawler damsel that lost an eye many years ago and she is still a jerk. Not the biggest fish but she runs the tank, picks at everyone else and probably would keep at it if she lost the other one.
Ethro will do nothing once an eye is lost. It will heal over on its own

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish's eye lens and an egg from this species are just about the same size, shape and consistency. If it is the lens, you should be able to see the damage where it is missing from one of the eyes. If both eyes look the same, then I would say this is an egg. Mouthbrooder fish often drop their eggs when you catch them up.

Jay

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish's eye lens and an egg from this species are just about the same size, shape and consistency. If it is the lens, you should be able to see the damage where it is missing from one of the eyes. If both eyes look the same, then I would say this is an egg. Mouthbrooder fish often drop their eggs when you catch them up.

Jay
Here is the fish this morning. In the video you can see he doesn’t breath fast IMO.

He still has the eye but it’s very odd looking. I don’t have any med other than General Cure and that’s what I’m using for him. I’m from Canada.

1707833657236.jpeg

1707833696561.jpeg

1707833718082.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the fish this morning. In the video you can see he doesn’t breath fast IMO.

He still has the eye but it’s very odd looking. I don’t have any med other than General Cure and that’s what I’m using for him. I’m from Canada.

1707833657236.jpeg

1707833696561.jpeg

1707833718082.jpeg

Oh, that was most certainly the fish’s pupil then. It may end up losing the eye.
General Cure would have no benefit in this case. Without a gram negative, aerobic antibiotic, you will just need to see if this heals on its own - they often will.

Jay

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, that was most certainly the fish’s pupil then. It may end up losing the eye.
General Cure would have no benefit in this case. Without a gram negative, aerobic antibiotic, you will just need to see if this heals on its own - they often will.

Jay
Thanks. Should I still keep it in the hospital tank or would he have a better chance in his usual environment, the main tank ?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

1707833657236.jpeg

1707833696561.jpeg

1707833718082.jpeg

THANKS for the update - The reason I asked how the eye looked is because it sure looked like the lens of the eye - and the appearance suggests it. I would consider antibiotics, and though erythromycin based treatments are usually recommended, any broad spectrum antibiotic will work. I know that you don't have access to antibiotics except via prescription. I would consider trying to get one. Additionally, General cure is not very likely to cover the type of bacteria that could become a problem. IMHO - this problem is different than the normal eye injury - in the case of the globe rupturing, there is a much larger danger of infection IMHO (whether primary or secondary). If indeed you have no other option, I would consider stopping the general cure - and watching in the QT tank (not the display) - since close observation and no stress interactions with other fish is probably beneficial to healing (if its going to occur)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS - if the eye was not ruptured - it's often able to nurse them through without antibiotics, and just observation. In this case - something caused the initial appearance - either a primary infection or an injury that got infected - and pressure built up causing rupture. The issue would be if the surrounding area and internal spaces are infected. PPS - here is a great link discussing multiple antibiotics and their uses in fish: https://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/medication-2.html

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THANKS for the update - The reason I asked how the eye looked is because it sure looked like the lens of the eye - and the appearance suggests it. I would consider antibiotics, and though erythromycin based treatments are usually recommended, any broad spectrum antibiotic will work. I know that you don't have access to antibiotics except via prescription. I would consider trying to get one. Additionally, General cure is not very likely to cover the type of bacteria that could become a problem. IMHO - this problem is different than the normal eye injury - in the case of the globe rupturing, there is a much larger danger of infection IMHO (whether primary or secondary). If indeed you have no other option, I would consider stopping the general cure - and watching in the QT tank (not the display) - since close observation and no stress interactions with other fish is probably beneficial to healing (if its going to occur)
Thanks for helping.

Unfortunately I don’t have much hope to get a prescription.

I do have this dog dewormer on hand (fenbendazole, 1 packet for 10 lbs dog). Is it worth trying ?

1707841033880.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for helping.

Unfortunately I don’t have much hope to get a prescription.

I do have this dog dewormer on hand (fenbendazole, 1 packet for 10 lbs dog). Is it worth trying ?

1707841033880.jpeg
No. I would call a veterinarian in your area - ask to do a zoom appointment. Of course you would not bring the fish to the office.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I would call a veterinarian in your area - ask to do a zoom appointment. Of course you would not bring the fish to the office.
There are none in my area. I tried all that not too long ago. They don’t do zoom either in my province. The only place is 2 hours one way, and they want you to bring the fish in so they can examine it. They could lose their license if they don’t so nobody will help me.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back