Popeye - FoxFace

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Took me all day to get these crappy pics. When I turn the whites on the hose in the rocks. I can’t wait to retire this old girl (tank) in July, too many scratches. Speaking of, my fox face has a swollen eye. It appears to me to have 3 scratches on it. It’s not uncommon for the purple tang and powder blue to be playing tag through all the rocks with the Fox. As you see colors are good. It’s eating and when no commotion is going on outside the tank it comes out swims all around pecking at the rocks. I’m going out of town for two days in the AM and really hoping it’s simply an eye injury. My wife would not being able to get it out out or anything and I’m on a clock for my trip. Can anyone tell me how my night is going to be?

It’s also only the one eye. When it eats you can tell it doesn’t have great site to the popeye side.

IMG_3282.jpeg IMG_3285.jpeg IMG_3284.jpeg IMG_3283.jpeg IMG_3288.jpeg IMG_3287.jpeg IMG_3286.jpeg IMG_3291.jpeg IMG_3290.jpeg IMG_3289.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Took me all day to get these crappy pics. When I turn the whites on the hose in the rocks. I can’t wait to retire this old girl (tank) in July, too many scratches. Speaking of, my fox face has a swollen eye. It appears to me to have 3 scratches on it. It’s not uncommon for the purple tang and powder blue to be playing tag through all the rocks with the Fox. As you see colors are good. It’s eating and when no commotion is going on outside the tank it comes out swims all around pecking at the rocks. I’m going out of town for two days in the AM and really hoping it’s simply an eye injury. My wife would not being able to get it out out or anything and I’m on a clock for my trip. Can anyone tell me how my night is going to be?

It’s also only the one eye. When it eats you can tell it doesn’t have great site to the popeye side.

IMG_3282.jpeg IMG_3285.jpeg IMG_3284.jpeg IMG_3283.jpeg IMG_3288.jpeg IMG_3287.jpeg IMG_3286.jpeg IMG_3291.jpeg IMG_3290.jpeg IMG_3289.jpeg
Likely stemmed from an injury or scrape but can also be associated with water quality
Assure ammonia and nitrate not elevated and treat with Maracyn, not Maracyn oxy or Maracyn two in a separate treatment tank for at least 5 days and add aeration via air stone

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m battling pop eye with 2 cardinal fish.

Needed to move to QT tank and start Maracyn

Note when you buy it, it comes in 8 pack. It’s 1 pack per 10 gallons of water and you might need 2 rounds (10 days) of treatment

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Likely stemmed from an injury or scrape but can also be associated with water quality
Assure ammonia and nitrate not elevated and treat with Maracyn, not Maracyn oxy or Maracyn two in a separate treatment tank for at least 5 days and add aeration via air stone

Stupid me forgot to mention, once you said water quality, I am just wrapping up a Cipro treatment for BJD. Was out of town for an extended period of time between the week before/after it was 4 weeks without a water change (tank is typically healthy). But a week after I was back for the first time I got BJD, and I have not added anything new to the tank in a while. Could the cipro have caused this?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The injury has damaged the eye significantly - Agree with @vetteguy53081 that treatment with a broad spectrum antibiotic would be a good idea. Additionally, I might consider not adding it back to your display - if it's repeated behavior that they are fighting.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Now that I see the fish on a larger screen, there is a possibility of flukes. If true, you will see fish scratching, sudden darting across tank, fluttering its fins, loss of appetite and hiding as examples

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just an observation - with just one eye infected, it is almost never flukes, as these infect both eyes equally. This is from an injury of some sort - can you see a silvery bubble inside the eye?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back