Carpet Anemone HELP

skine1107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Evrybody
I’ve got about a month into the new salt water game and decided to add a carpet anemone into the tank.

For now I have
20 gallon Tall tank

2 small clownfish
Small domino
Medium sized fire fish goby
Trochus snail
2 Blue legged hermit crab
Emerald green crab
Sea urchin
3lbs live rock
Small white carpet anemone

now water parameters think is the main issue

ph 7.8
Ammonia 0.50ppm
Nitrite 0.50ppm
Nitrate 10ppm
Salinity 1.023

now I have a few pictures at first the carpet nem was nice and full. It’s been about a week since he’s been in the tank and has never gotten back to looking how it originally was introduced to the tank

not sure if he’s dead now but really shriveled you’re and not sticking. maybe 4 days ago he was sticking to the side of the tank. I placed him on top of the live rock but haven’t seen any movement I kind of moved him around with a stick for the tank but he’s just flat lifeless. At first he kind of curled up like a clam when I placed on top of the rock then he opened backup flat like the last picture
Should I take it out the tank ? It’s been like this for past 3 days
any kind words are appreciated thanks !!

2383B728-E478-4079-BA26-01976A0F7944.jpeg 46A52811-65F7-4375-9D54-74C2EBBA9BD7.jpeg 7EB2CDA9-2DF2-4713-B93B-BF48F8A20709.jpeg D70A175E-C9B2-4BDB-9C50-36A3A6CE1758.jpeg

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Evrybody
I’ve got about a month into the new salt water game and decided to add a carpet anemone into the tank.

For now I have
20 gallon Tall tank

2 small clownfish
Small domino
Trochus snail
Emerald green crab
Sea urchin
3lbs live rock

ph 7.8
Ammonia 0.50ppm
Nitrite 0.50ppm
Nitrate 10ppm
Salinity 1.023

now I have a few pictures at first the carpet nem was nice and full. It’s been about a week since he’s been in the tank and has never gotten back to looking how it originally was introduced to the tank

not sure if he’s dead now but really shriveled you’re and not sticking. maybe 4 days ago he was sticking to the side of the tank. I placed him on top of the live rock but haven’t seen any movement I kind of moved him around with a stick for the tank but he’s just flat lifeless. At first he kind of curled up like a clam when I placed on top of the rock then he opened backup flat like the last picture

2383B728-E478-4079-BA26-01976A0F7944.jpeg 46A52811-65F7-4375-9D54-74C2EBBA9BD7.jpeg 7EB2CDA9-2DF2-4713-B93B-BF48F8A20709.jpeg D70A175E-C9B2-4BDB-9C50-36A3A6CE1758.jpeg
What kind of light are you running

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Evrybody

For now I have
20 gallon Tall tank

2 small clownfish
Small domino
Trochus snail
Emerald green crab
Sea urchin
3lbs live rock

ph 7.8
Ammonia 0.50ppm
Nitrite 0.50ppm
Nitrate 10ppm
Salinity 1.023

Also with your tank only being a month old you rushed into stocking it. You’re at full stock in your tank and it’s still going through it’s cycle more than likely. I’d recommend adding bottled bacteria like bio-spira and possibly added some prime to take down those nitrites and level your numbers out. More than likely the water quality is not good enough as of right now for an anemone to survive.

your clownfish should be fine because they’re very hardy, everything else I’m not totally sure about fish wise. Your clean up crew should be okay in more harsh water conditions but that emerald crab I’m not sure. Make sure to keep an eye out on fish for brown gills or heavy breathing, this means they more than likely are getting nitrite poisoning and losing oxygen.

this is a very precise hobby and everything needs to be taken very slowly! Best of luck :)

OP
OP
S

skine1107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also with your tank only being a month old you rushed into stocking it. You’re at full stock in your tank and it’s still going through it’s cycle more than likely. I’d recommend adding bottled bacteria like bio-spira and possibly added some prime to take down those nitrites and level your numbers out. More than likely the water quality is not good enough as of right now for an anemone to survive.

your clownfish should be fine because they’re very hardy, everything else I’m not totally sure about fish wise. Your clean up crew should be okay in more harsh water conditions but that emerald crab I’m not sure. Make sure to keep an eye out on fish for brown gills or heavy breathing, this means they more than likely are getting nitrite poisoning and losing oxygen.

this is a very precise hobby and everything needs to be taken very slowly! Best of luck :)
Thanks I’m keeping an eye on them daily, every time I walk past the tank I’m looking in to see what’s going on

sas226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a regular 20” fluorescent light
What kind of flow do you have in your tank? I'm going to take a guess here and say that 20" fluorescent light is far from sufficient enough for that nem among other things.

Here's some info:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/anemones-list-and-information.40356/

Also, there's a large sub-forum on this site dedicated to anemones that should give you tons of information that should help you. As for your current situation, hopefully someone with a little more experience with carpets can chime in.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree with this. The whole tank is super new and should def NOT have an anemone, especially a carpet nem as they are for advanced reefers since they are super finicky.
Theres also no such thing as a white carpet anemone, unfortunately you have a bleached anemone so its already in very poor health. furthermore ALOT/most carpet nems come in with additional bacterial infections and need to be QT/Medicated before adding to the main tank.
In addition to this your lighting and flow are nowhere near sufficient to keep him alive even short term.
There are quite a few good anemone threads here on R2R under the anemone forum that i suggest you look over.
My advice to to see if the LFS that sold it to you will take it back or see if another more experienced local reefer can take it from you and try and save it, as is right now it will most likely die and mess up your tank.

Edit: Tagging @OrionN as hes pretty good with carpets

OP
OP
S

skine1107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with this. The whole tank is super new and should def NOT have an anemone, especially a carpet nem as they are for advanced reefers since they are super finicky.
Theres also no such thing as a white carpet anemone, unfortunately you have a bleached anemone so its already in very poor health. furthermore ALOT/most carpet nems come in with additional bacterial infections and need to be QT/Medicated before adding to the main tank.
In addition to this your lighting and flow are nowhere near sufficient to keep him alive even short term.
There are quite a few good anemone threads here on R2R under the anemone forum that i suggest you look over.
My advice to to see if the LFS that sold it to you will take it back or see if another more experienced local reefer can take it from you and try and save it, as is right now it will most likely die and mess up your tank.

Edit: Tagging @OrionN as hes pretty good with carpets
Thanks guys ! Really appreciate all the info ! I went to a couple stores in my area NY and got info , the last place I went to said my tank is most likely cycling and the nem may not survive did to this.

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What do you think about this light

i recommend ai prime hd or nano-light plus from reef breeders. You don’t want to skimp out on a cheap light. One thing you want for a reef tank is a nice light, this unfortunately is not a cheap hobby or one that you can always take the cheap way in. Freshwater tanks are better for people on a tight budget, even though saltwater tanks have some budget parts. Good luck!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back