Carpet anemone shrinking/hiding

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with eagle Steve. Your other 2 are haddoni and look great! That’s good to hear your dealer is coming over tonight. See if he is willing to take that gig back and exchange it for a haddoni. Doubt it but worth asking.

...unless you’re willing to put it through a treatment process, WITH NO MEDS. Cipro will not help that guy. It’s in its condition because it’s needs aren’t being met. If it was infection, it would have stopped inflating a long time ago, but appears inflated right now just severely bleached and retracting a ton. That guy looks that way from lack of light and lack of proper flow. 100% daily water changes in a TT and constant monitoring and daily tweaks MIGHT help but it’s a lot of work and time and no guarantees. Exchanging it for haddoni would be easiest. Best of luck to you. :)

OP
OP
Reefer79

Reefer79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with eagle Steve. Your other 2 are haddoni and look great! That’s good to hear your dealer is coming over tonight. See if he is willing to take that gig back and exchange it for a haddoni. Doubt it but worth asking.

...unless you’re willing to put it through a treatment process, WITH NO MEDS. Cipro will not help that guy. It’s in its condition because it’s needs aren’t being met. If it was infection, it would have stopped inflating a long time ago, but appears inflated right now just severely bleached and retracting a ton. That guy looks that way from lack of light and lack of proper flow. 100% daily water changes in a TT and constant monitoring and daily tweaks MIGHT help but it’s a lot of work and time and no guarantees. Exchanging it for haddoni would be easiest. Best of luck to you. :)
So he decided not to take him, he said he's definitely not well but not at a state of return as of yet. We've been keeping an eye on it. Foot still blue and still has some green to its tenticles. The store keeps their salinity at 1.021 and temp lower than what it needs so he said he'd be better off in my tank. He's been eating a small bit of shrimp or smelt daily and we have a led light from our older smaller tank that we have turned on at the bottom/back so it's getting direct light, only downside is that the light is attached to our cabinet, getting on the way so it's a bit of a pain!!! I feed him, then place a net over him until the food is gone before I let the clowns back at him, they don't steal his food, but they wiggle on him and it ends up dropping out its mouth. I've read about doing a zooxanthellae transplant for anemones losing colour. Taking a tenticle from a healthy one and placing it inside the bleaching ones food. I don't know how successful this is, but I hope someone can chime in? As mentioned before, he's in a spot I can get to so I don't need to pull him out just yet. Mouth closed, eating, still a bit of colour. Definitely not healthy but not ready to give up yet.

OP
OP
Reefer79

Reefer79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a bra in my dt. It has hidden itself In a rock. Never see it and tank has been stable for months.
If its hiding, how do you on know its getting fed avd enough light? I'd be searching incase it dies somewhere. Doubt the tank would be stable after that nightmare. I've only had one rbta that hid but I could still see where he was, I turned the rock towards the light and he came out a few days later. Been fine ever since.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned before don’t give up, but also don’t leave it where it is and assume it will either live or die.

Find a way to isolate the clowns from it so they don’t aggressively host it.

I would relocate the S. gigantea. If you can’t move to quarantine ( even sump with proper light ) then onto the top of your rock structure. This type of anemone likes lots of random water flow and very strong light. A pond basket that floats at the top of the surface would also work for this purpose. Hold it in place with a mag float inside, then point your power head directly at the side of the basket.

Hand feed it one small bit of food each day. Push it next to the mouth if it’s not eating. If it doesn’t accept the food and is not sticky, then shove the food into its mouth if it’s open. You have to nurture it to health at this point.

Overtime it will get sticky, then the tentacles will grab food and it will learn to eat on its own. Then the tentacles will start to grow back and extend and color will form back.

This feeding technique works for many people.

Do a search on this forum and find out who has kept these anemones before. You will learn a lot.

OP
OP
Reefer79

Reefer79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned before don’t give up, but also don’t leave it where it is and assume it will either live or die.

Find a way to isolate the clowns from it so they don’t aggressively host it.

I would relocate the S. gigantea. If you can’t move to quarantine ( even sump with proper light ) then onto the top of your rock structure. This type of anemone likes lots of random water flow and very strong light. A pond basket that floats at the top of the surface would also work for this purpose. Hold it in place with a mag float inside, then point your power head directly at the side of the basket.

Hand feed it one small bit of food each day. Push it next to the mouth if it’s not eating. If it doesn’t accept the food and is not sticky, then shove the food into its mouth if it’s open. You have to nurture it to health at this point.

Overtime it will get sticky, then the tentacles will grab food and it will learn to eat on its own. Then the tentacles will start to grow back and extend and color will form back.

This feeding technique works for many people.

Do a search on this forum and find out who has kept these anemones before. You will learn a lot.
Hes taking the food if I put it on his mouth. Its not open but he does eat it so I don't need to force it. I place a net around him until its gone so the shrimp avd clowns don't steal it. The clowns hover around him but they don't host him, I think they know he's not much to cuddle anymore. Keeping my fingers crossed. He's not gotten any worse, but not any better either. It's definitely going to take some time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back