Cat shark

morganrp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got a cat shark, he stays hidden in his cave most the day but when he does swim around he will like flip real quick to his side. He does it a few time and I'm wondering if it's normal? Does he have a parasite? If so what could he have?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
We got a cat shark, he stays hidden in his cave most the day but when he does swim around he will like flip real quick to his side. He does it a few time and I'm wondering if it's normal? Does he have a parasite? If so what could he have?
Not normal and they are somewhat nocturnal but also are subject to bacterial and issues with high nitrates
Check water quality to assure this is not a contributor
Any red dots/dots on its belly?

OP
OP
M

morganrp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not normal and they are somewhat nocturnal but also are subject to bacterial and issues with high nitrates
Check water quality to assure this is not a contributor
Any red dots/dots on its belly?
Our nitrates are at 0, and I'm not sure I haven't gotten that close of a look at him

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Our nitrates are at 0, and I'm not sure I haven't gotten that close of a look at him
How are you testing water?
While not impossible, it’s rare that a tank with sharks and even eels are zero due their messy housekeeping

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
We use the master kit, but we also take out left over foods, and give them fresh food.
API master known for false readings
Take a water sample to an LFS that does not use API test kits to see what readings they come up with and and to compare with yours

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

What species do you have?
Is it eating o.k.?
What other fish are in with it?

Rolling is how they scratch. They do this due to skin irritation - from parasites or even getting nipped by other fish.

Jay

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Could be stress or something irritating it's gills such as a parasite. In my experience Chiloscyillium sharks do this often, I have never witnessed my Atelomycterus sharks doing this. Chiloscyillium are also oddly enough more at risk of having their fins nipped. I am assuming you have a type of banded "catshark" and they are very inactive most of the time. Need more info here, what size is the tank and what other fish are you keeping with the shark? What size is the shark and what size are the other fish in the tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back