Catching a mantis shrimp hitchhiker

holliek2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I spotted a red mantis shrimp that is about an inch and a half that must hitchhiked in at some point.

I’ve noticed that one of my harlequin shrimp pair is missing- I’m hoping because he/she is molting and hiding out.. but I worry it was a victim :(

Most of my hermits are goners too. I’d like him/her out! I tried the bottle trap next to where I spotted it- baited with shrimp pieces, and also tried baiting with silverside chunks. Nothing. Any additional suggestions?

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I spotted a red mantis shrimp that is about an inch and a half that must hitchhiked in at some point.

I’ve noticed that one of my harlequin shrimp pair is missing- I’m hoping because he/she is molting and hiding out.. but I worry it was a victim :(

Most of my hermits are goners too. I’d like him/her out! I tried the bottle trap next to where I spotted it- baited with shrimp pieces, and also tried baiting with silverside chunks. Nothing. Any additional suggestions?
Pull the rock and shoot hot water into his hole. He’ll come out. Alternatively if you can identify which hole he’s in, shoot it full of super glue.

OP
OP
holliek2

holliek2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice! I can’t remove the rock- it’s at the bottom of my entire rockskape and I’d rather not fill the burrows with glue as I have a pistol shrimp as well and I don’t want to fill the wrong one! Any other trapping suggestions?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes you just have to tear apart the tank. I'd try to bottle trap again but honestly you might have to remove all of your rocks to get this guy..... It won't be fun but it is what it is. I once had to take out all of the rocks from my 120g and drain it down to 3" of water just to catch a bicolor dwarf angel

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back