Catching Fish

Rene2br

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I wanted to solicit advice from anyone who has a technique for catching all the fish in an aquarium without destroying your reef. For a bit of backstory, I've got a 150g reef. It has corals both hard and soft that are attached but I need to remove all the fish because I am going to run my system fallow for a while.

I've seen some clever devices like the Nyos floating fish trap but have heard mixed reviews. I'd be interested if anyone has tried one of these too. Thanks in advance!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
  • drain water to an un-swimmable level. scoop. transfer.
  • use egg crates to divide the tank and make areas smaller for them, to make it easier for you to catch.
  • or get a fish trap and play the waiting game.
i have the tankmatez fish trap and it worked great for catching my 6line and tomini tang.

OP
OP
R

Rene2br

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • drain water to an un-swimmable level. scoop. transfer.
  • use egg crates to divide the tank and make areas smaller for them, to make it easier for you to catch.
  • or get a fish trap and play the waiting game.
i have the tankmatez fish trap and it worked great for catching my 6line and tomini tang.
Thanks ! I've never tried the draining of the tank. I wonder how long corals are good. I know they should be somewhat adapted to a low-tide scenario.

tmhickey2023

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I wanted to solicit advice from anyone who has a technique for catching all the fish in an aquarium without destroying your reef. For a bit of backstory, I've got a 150g reef. It has corals both hard and soft that are attached but I need to remove all the fish because I am going to run my system fallow for a while.

I've seen some clever devices like the Nyos floating fish trap but have heard mixed reviews. I'd be interested if anyone has tried one of these too. Thanks in advance!
Used a Nyos floating trap to remove a six line wrasse who was misbehaving. Worked quite well but gotta be patient.

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back