Rfa eating fish?!

unclepregs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been trying to look for answers all over the internet but can’t seem to find any. Has anyone seen or heard of an RFA eating a fish? I had a scissor tail goby go missing less than 2 days after adding the Rfa and now the Rfa won’t even open all the way. It’s like folded in half I would say. The goby always swam in the water column but is now MIA. Picture ain’t the best but I didn’t put on my filters to make it better. Let me know your thoughts!

IMG_2698.jpeg

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think a healthy fish would be able to get away.

What does your CUC consist of? If the fish died, it could have been gone in a few minutes because of your CUC.

Do you have a lid?

Have you checked your sump?

OP
OP
U

unclepregs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think a healthy fish would be able to get away.

What does your CUC consist of? If the fish died, it could have been gone in a few minutes because of your CUC.

Do you have a lid?

Have you checked your sump?
I’ve looked everywhere. I don’t have a lid but have checked everywhere. I’m not ruling out anything, but I have an assortment of snails and a couple emerald crabs.

OP
OP
U

unclepregs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s just a coincidence. Most nems, especially rfa, will only be able to get a dead/dying fish that falls into them.
I’d be more concerned about disease, aggression, or jumping.
He’s been super healthy, not even the slightest aggression, but won’t rule out jumping but all fish are extremely chill just a couple clowns YWG and a mandarin. Rfa was open and now won’t open so I thought I would ask.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if it got a hold of the fish it wouldn't be able to eat that much. Also agree a healthy fish would never have that issue.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve looked everywhere. I don’t have a lid but have checked everywhere. I’m not ruling out anything, but I have an assortment of snails and a couple emerald crabs.
Any dogs or cats in the house or, even young children who could have moved it?

OP
OP
U

unclepregs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if it got a hold of the fish it wouldn't be able to eat that much. Also agree a healthy fish would never have that issue.
Makes sense. I’m just like, where the hell has this fish been lol.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
been trying to look for answers all over the internet but can’t seem to find any. Has anyone seen or heard of an RFA eating a fish? I had a scissor tail goby go missing less than 2 days after adding the Rfa and now the Rfa won’t even open all the way. It’s like folded in half I would say. The goby always swam in the water column but is now MIA. Picture ain’t the best but I didn’t put on my filters to make it better. Let me know your thoughts!

IMG_2698.jpeg
They typically do not unless fish is very weak. Gobies are both great hiders and jumpers. Also check overflow box.
RFA needs moderate light and water flow. If too much flow or light , it will hide as its doing. Also assure phosphates are not elevated

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back