Cation - Anion - Mixed resins... which is exhausted?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switched to running BRS 7 stage and using their resins a couple months ago. I finally got a TDS number > 0 so time to change out. Based on the picture or other knowledge, should I switch out ALL THREE? Or which?

IMG-5303.jpg

Stephen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your mixed bed looks exhausted and needs to be replaced. However, it doesn't look like the anion or mixed bed were packed very well in the cannister.

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your mixed bed looks exhausted and needs to be replaced. However, it doesn't look like the anion or mixed bed were packed very well in the cannister.
Yeah, I am familiar with the look of exhausted mixed bed. But don't remember what the other two looked like when new.

As to packing, curious about your method. I just repeatedly bash the canister into the ground and keep adding to the top pretty much so that the lid does the final compress.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, it's kinda hard to tell by the pic, but they don't look like they're packed well? I got tired of packing mine, so I switched to a hybrid BRS/Spectrapure system.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anion looks exhausted? I do the tap method when I was packing mine. Pour some in, tap a few times on the counter or flat surface, then keep filling, bit by bit. You should only have a tiny bit left in the bag when you're finished.

Stephen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I am familiar with the look of exhausted mixed bed. But don't remember what the other two looked like when new.

As to packing, curious about your method. I just repeatedly bash the canister into the ground and keep adding to the top pretty much so that the lid does the final compress.
The anion will look like the mixed bed when it's exhausted. Yours looks greenish in the photo. It's blue when new and brownish tan-ish brown when exhausted like the mixed bed. I've never seen mine a greenish color like that. Both your anion and mixed bed cannisters have visible gaps between the sponge at top and top of media. This shouldn't be like that.

As to my method I add about a 1/4 cup and quickly tap the canister on a hard surface 20-30 seconds. Add another 1/4 cup and repeat. If you're using the 1.5 pound refill bags there should be very little to none left when it's filled and packed well. You can also use a 12 ounce beer bottle or there are special packers you can by to use specifically for doing it. I've also seen people add a little and tap a wooden spoon on the side of the cannister. I find this way doesn't get it packed as well in my experience. By not having them packed tight you're wasting resin as it's exhausted much faster. There should be no gap between the resin and sponge and you should just be able to see no more than a 1/2" or so of the sponge at the top when it's installed if you've packed it well.

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it's kinda hard to tell by the pic, but they don't look like they're packed well? I got tired of packing mine, so I switched to a hybrid BRS/Spectrapure system.
You are correct. Once I removed the canister and inspected there was almost an inch empty in the top. Which is strange because I bang these things and stuff them pretty good.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would pack mine to the very top, then started to screw on the cap. If it went on easy, then you still have some packing to do, but usually I would have to remove just a bit to get a nice tight fit. I used a tray to pack them on, that way if I needed to use any of the media that fell out, it was easy to grab.

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On close inspection of the Cation cartridge I can the see the bottom edges of the media have gone tan. I have replaced the anion and mixed now and am rinsing.

My funnel holds about 1/3 cup and I banged it after each dump. Filled it to the top this way, tamped it down with a cup and refilled to the top. Tamped. Should be good.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use anion and cation resins, and one is depleted (based on TDS), you can tell by the pH which one it is.

An cation exchange resin binds cations by swapping them for H+. When it is the only thing working, the effluent pH is very low.

An anion exchange resin binds anions by swapping then for OH-. When it is the only thing working, the effluent pH is very high.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 45 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.3%
Back