Caught a fire worm what do I do now

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take some cool pictures? Start a species only worm tank?

If it's really a fire worm, and you want it out of your tank because it's a pest, It's not really safe to keep in the sump or elsewhere in the system. I think the logical answer is that you get rid of it. You can look up how to humanely kill marine organisms, but I would venture to guess that most wouldn't bother for a pest.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take some cool pictures? Start a species only worm tank?

If it's really a fire worm, and you want it out of your tank because it's a pest, It's not really safe to keep in the sump or elsewhere in the system. I think the logical answer is that you get rid of it. You can look up how to humanely kill marine organisms, but I would venture to guess that most wouldn't bother for a pest.
If I cut it in half will it die or will the other half grow back? I want to get rid of it but it’s deep in the rock.

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty sure it was a fire worm, it was red/brown and had white tiff on it
That isn't very definitive, and common bristle worms will eat dead things; I would assume a shrimp molt would also attract them.

Fire worms are actually relatively rare in our tanks, especially if you've never added real ocean live rock...

Upvote 0

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't care about the rock and hasn't much growth on it fill a container up of rodi water just enough to cover the rock and dump in a bottle oh hydrogen peroxide. That worm will come out really fast I guarantee that.

Put a small powerhead in the container if you can just to keep the water moving around and you'll see all sorts of nasties come out of the Rock. It made bubble like a cauldron but in the end The Rock will be clean and free of any algae and worms. Some may think it's harsh but to each their own.

Give it enough time so you see the worm come out and if you can grab it go for it, and afterwards just dip The Rock in and out of some fresh rodi water and put it back in your tank. I've done it before with great success and it never bothered any of my pets inside the tank.

I find a lot of dips out on the market only take care of certain critters but if you want that worm out just nuke that rock with hydrogen peroxide.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That isn't very definitive, and common bristle worms will eat dead things; I would assume a shrimp molt would also attract them.

Fire worms are actually relatively rare in our tanks, especially if you've never added real ocean live rock...
I have added real live rock

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't care about the rock and hasn't much growth on it fill a container up of rodi water just enough to cover the rock and dump in a bottle oh hydrogen peroxide. That worm will come out really fast I guarantee that.

Put a small powerhead in the container if you can just to keep the water moving around and you'll see all sorts of nasties come out of the Rock. It made bubble like a cauldron but in the end The Rock will be clean and free of any algae and worms. Some may think it's harsh but to each their own.

Give it enough time so you see the worm come out and if you can grab it go for it, and afterwards just dip The Rock in and out of some fresh rodi water and put it back in your tank. I've done it before with great success and it never bothered any of my pets inside the tank.

I find a lot of dips out on the market only take care of certain critters but if you want that worm out just nuke that rock with hydrogen peroxide.
I still want the rock after, it has all kinds of life on it i dont want to kill the rock.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I saw I huge fire worm come out of a rock to eat a shrimp molt so I just took out the whole rock. What do I do now?
Set a trap for it using a one or two liter bottle baited with shrimp.

trap.jpg

Upvote 0

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set a trap for it using a one or two liter bottle baited with shrimp.

trap.jpg
This makes more sense than taking out a rock and trying to lure a worm out. Anything that irritates that worm might irritate that one wanted to be retained. The trap more selective and where there's one worm there might be more.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What if I just dry out the rock?

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back