Pistol shrimp, but what kind is it?

Polymate3D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

So a year fight but I have finally caught the buggar which keeps making the click noise. Especially at night!

1000016233.jpg

I took the rock out and in a sealed container to kill it but opened it today to find small drops of saltwater in the bottom and him going around. This was at room temperature (20c). He is now in a tiny 10cm cube mini aquarium with some rocks and is eating.

Not sure what to do with him now. I'm confident he has killed hermit crabs. I'm working on a tiny aquarium concept o maybe I will just keep him for that!

Either way I would love to know more on what species of pistol shrimp he is.

- Paul

luis angel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following this, Does it sound like a snail hitting glass? Some nights after the lights go out I hear something like that but I don't know what it could be.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way I would love to know more on what species of pistol shrimp he is.
Can you get a straight-on pic of the top and another of the side both showing the shrimp's whole body under white light (and preferably with a black background for contrast)?

This shrimp is from the Alpheus leviusculus group (called "Clade L"), and there are a number of different species that look incredibly similar to it, so clear pics would really be needed to figure out the species. Also, if you know where it hitchhiked in from (i.e. Florida/the Caribbean, the Indo-Pacific, Australia, etc.), that would be helpful too.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back