Caulerpa racemosa Grape

Fishlover56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiya
i got Caulerpa racemosa Grape version in my hang on refugium a week ago gone slightly white My tank is in middle of cycling i have read some horror storys of it dying and killing everything in the tank due to nutrition levels should i remove it now and replace it with cheato many thanks

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of reefers stopped using caulerpa long ago for that reason; however, if my memory serves me correctly, that usually if its overgrown which I doubt could happen in a hangon fuge. Is it possible that its not doing well from not being fully cycled yet?

Anymore info on the tank? age, lighting how long the caulerpa has been in there, has it grown and then stopped and turned white? is it over/under lit?

I don't run fuge and would only run one if I had trouble with nutrients. A fuge it probably not necessary for you right now since it sounds like you're still in the cycle stage. If it were me, I would pull it and let the tank cycle and start it back up when the tank is mature (if needed)

OP
OP
F

Fishlover56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of reefers stopped using caulerpa long ago for that reason; however, if my memory serves me correctly, that usually if its overgrown which I doubt could happen in a hangon fuge. Is it possible that its not doing well from not being fully cycled yet?

Anymore info on the tank? age, lighting how long the caulerpa has been in there, has it grown and then stopped and turned white? is it over/under lit?

I don't run fuge and would only run one if I had trouble with nutrients. A fuge it probably not necessary for you right now since it sounds like you're still in the cycle stage. If it were me, I would pull it and let the tank cycle and start it back up when the tank is mature (if needed)
Thanks im using a tmc aquaray
C1E5F2C2-4324-4B02-BF84-4B0308BD6CCC.png

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We'd need a little more context on your situation to really pin down the problem. But, if you feel its looking bad, its inexpensive enough to just pull it out and wait until you have a more mature tank before setting up the fuge. You'll be fine w/o for now.

OP
OP
F

Fishlover56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We'd need a little more context on your situation to really pin down the problem. But, if you feel its looking bad, its inexpensive enough to just pull it out and wait until you have a more mature tank before setting up the fuge. You'll be fine w/o for now.
Ye thanks i have spent the last 40 mins getting it out which worked as it cost £2 its better than risking it down the line and losing 100 of pounds of fish and coral so when my tank matures im gonna add cheato instead

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use caulerpa anywhere near a reef tank. Either it goes sexual and dies off or it becomes entrenched in your tank and cannot be removed. Neither are good.

OP
OP
F

Fishlover56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use caulerpa anywhere near a reef tank. Either it goes sexual and dies off or it becomes entrenched in your tank and cannot be removed. Neither are good.
Luckly it was only in the hang on refugium so i cut the water flow to it and got it out without getting it anywhere else so im sure there is none left now thanks

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
….. bullet dodged LOL

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about england, but I know in some states like california and florida, its banned for being invasive. I imaging you should be fine throwing it out. if you're paranoid, a little bleach will dissolve it in no time ;)

OP
OP
F

Fishlover56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about england, but I know in some states like california and florida, its banned for being invasive. I imaging you should be fine throwing it out. if you're paranoid, a little bleach will dissolve it in no time ;)
knowing me i will probably just put it on the next bonfire
how does it harm the tank when it goes sexual i just know
sexual = disaster

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Had some in my 15 gallon tank looks good at first but grows quickly had to remove and lost some of my substrate but for some reason it did not return
image.jpg
image.jpg

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 74 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.1%
Back