Cause of thin branch growth

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reasons/speculation as to why acros developes thinner branching?

below are pictures pulled from instagram:
(will delete if not allowed)
E8F7B17B-C2FA-4DFE-BD02-4F06FAC0F308.jpeg
2030F28F-9735-457C-AD71-BE1BA1F12A66.jpeg

The first is a home wrecker. It started out with thick branch, assuming original frag, then became thinner in the back, and the 2nd pic is from @ReefBum which SC orange passion grew into thin branch instead of what you might see from TSA etc.

I have seen a few sc orange passion like this too, and these are without a doubt legit pieces. However, I tend to like thicker branches, so I’m trying to find a solution to avoid if possible

Jdadams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe higher the flow, thicker the acro. I’m sure there’s other things that contribute as well but I think that’s a big contributor

Doctor Derp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe growth structure is primarily influenced by flow, and then light exposure. However, when not given enough light, you can see growth progress quicker into the more preferred area. Think about how a plant will grow towards a sun-lit window, and how a montipora cap will grow flat or scroll upwards like it's stretching for light. Inadequate flow will lead to quicker tissue die-off in areas getting less exposure (light, flow, gas exchange, etc)

OP
OP
KevinC

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe growth structure is primarily influenced by flow, and then light exposure. However, when not given enough light, you can see growth progress quicker into the more preferred area. Think about how a plant will grow towards a sun-lit window, and how a montipora cap will grow flat or scroll upwards like it's stretching for light. Inadequate flow will lead to quicker tissue die-off in areas getting less exposure (light, flow, gas exchange, etc)
in that sense, the HW grew into the preferred area, but then the branches became thin and long. Why can’t it just grow normally :(

Doctor Derp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in that sense, the HW grew into the preferred area, but then the branches became thin and long. Why can’t it just grow normally :(
That certainly could be the case. I've seen discussions about how some frags will cease all new growth, then only once encrusting a good bit at the base will start throwing new axial corallites and making branches. Maybe the new growth in this case far outpaced the ability for the "old polyps" to strengthen up their original, now load bearing, skeleton.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back