REEF OF THE MONTH - January 2024: Andre Takahashi's Mesmerizing SPS Scape!

Tub Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First I just gotta say WOW!
Great job on the aquascape, love the modern style.
Inspirational for sure.

Couple of questions:

The sps look like they are close to the surface, how do you plan to deal with the sps when they run out of vertical room to grow?

How the heck has your BTA stayed put at the base of the rockwork?!?! My BTAs don't move around too much, after they've moved upwards that is lol

DJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef of the month  title.jpg

R2R Username: @Andre_Takahashi
Tank Thread:
Takahashi’s in wall tank

Photo 05-11-23, 20 01 38.jpg

Introduction:

First I would like to thank Reef2Reef staff for choosing my tank to be featured here. It was always a dream of mine as a reef aquarist to achieve ROTM status and to be among the best aquarists in the world. I’m feeling like a winner of the IAPLC planted tank contest right now.

My name is Andre Takahashi from Brazil. I’m 37 years old and been reefing since I was 17, so 20 years in the hobby. I’ve been working in the aquarium industry for 9 years and since 2017, I’m one of the owners of Reef Point. We are importers and exclusive distributors of prestigious brands like Marco Rocks, Flipper, Reeflowers, Illumagic and Colombo. One of the things I am always making is new tanks and setups to show results and quality of the products I work with. Building aquascapes is also something I love.

This tank is located in my parents house and the structure and glass was made in 2010. This is the fourth setup using the same glass and sump. In September 2021 this setup was built with the idea of making an awesome SPS tank with an iconic aquascape that could inspire others, and I believe my mission was accomplished since this aquascape became very popular in Brazil.

I made this aquascape using Marco Rocks Premium Shelf and to counterbalance the overhang weight, beneath the sandbed I used Marco Rocks Foundation with almost the same length. It was also very important to use E-Marco 400 mortar to make everything well-structured.

My recipe to have good results is three things: Quality lighting (PAR + Spectrum), decent flow ,and water quality. To me, water quality means to have controlled nutrients and stable parameters. I’ve kept tanks with 11 dkH/480 Ca and 7dkH/420 Ca with great results. As long as there are no huge fluctuations, it should be fine.

Aquascape in development
Photo 16-08-21, 17 05 05.jpg

Photo 17-08-21, 12 14 54.jpg

Photo 13-09-21, 18 17 28.jpg

Photo 05-11-23, 20 15 26.jpg

System Profile
  • Display tank: 140 x 75 x 50 cm (55" x 30" x 20")
  • Glass or Acrylic: 10 mm Glass
  • Stand: Concrete
  • Sump: 160 x 65 x 40
  • Protein skimmer: Red Starfish RS-C9
  • Carbon/phosphate filtration: Reeflowers Detox G-1100 Granular Activated Carbon
  • Return pump: YiFang GF12000
  • Water circulation: 2 Rossmont M1900, 1 SunSun JVP 102, 1 HSBAO W40
  • Lighting (display): 3 Illumagic X4 SW Bluetooth modules + 2 Illumagic Vitamini 1200 Super Actinic Led bars
  • Lighting (refugium): Aqualumini Refugium
  • Calcium/alkalinity/magnesium dosing equipment: Kamoer X1
  • Auto top-off: Aqualumini Aqualevel
  • Heating/cooling: Chiller NY 1/3 HP / Heater 2 Eheim Jagger 300w
  • System control: None
  • Anything else: Yifang ceramic media

Here are some photos of the tank as it got started
Photo 13-09-21, 18 17 09.jpg

December 3, 2021
Photo 03-12-21, 22 16 32.jpg

September 13, 2022
Photo 13-09-22, 18 58 07.jpg

October 18, 2023
Photo 18-10-23, 20 05 10.jpg

Recent photo
Photo 05-11-23, 20 02 02.jpg

Water Circulation and Flow Summary and Objectives:

I never worried much about pulsing waves, random flow or fancy pump controllers. Of course they are pretty cool, but my philosophy regarding flow is the more the better, as long as the flow doesn’t rip off the coral’s tissue. If the SPS polyps are moving and there is no detritus over the corals you should be fine. Strong flow also means a stronger and symmetric colony. The tank started with only 2 Rossmonts M1900 with a Waver controller. As time passed and the colonies grew, I added two more pumps to increase flow. I may have to change the Sunsun pump soon to add a stronger one in the near future.

Photo 05-11-23, 20 26 41.jpg

Water Parameters:
  • Temp: 25-26.5 celsius (77-80 F)
  • pH: 8.2
  • Specific gravity: 1.025
  • NO3: 0.5 – 2 ppm
  • Ca: 420 – 440 ppm
  • Alk: 8 – 8.5 dkh
  • Mg: 1320 – 1380 ppm
  • PO4: 0.03 – 0.06
  • Ammonia and nitrites: 0 / 0
Photo 05-11-23, 20 07 12.jpg

What salt mix do you use?

I have been using Reeflowers Caledonia Coral Salt since the beginning. It is a natural salt, mixes very fast and always gave me great results. I do 20% water changes every 2 weeks or 30% every 3 weeks. I usually try to maintain the schedule to every 2 weeks.

What kind of rock did you start with?
  • Marco Rocks Reef Saver
  • Marco Rocks Foundation
  • Marco Rocks Premium Shelf
Photo 13-09-21, 18 17 23.jpg

What is your substrate?
Reeflowers Pearl White Sand 1-1.5 mm. It’s a very white calcium carbonate sand and gives a great look.

Calcium/Alkalinity/Magnesium Summary and Objectives:
Stable parameters are one of the things I’m always aiming for. Every week I test kH, Calcium and Magnesium with Colombo Test kits and make adjustments in my dosing according to the tank consumption.

Photo 05-11-23, 20 20 55.jpg

What and how do you dose for the big 3 (alk/cal/mag)?
I use Reeflowers Balling Set using a Kamoer X1 for each element. It’s a 4 part dosing with:
  • Pure kH for alkalinity.
  • Pure Calcium for calcium
  • Pure Magnesium for magnesium
  • Ionic Mineral Salt for Ionic Balance and trace elements
The dosing is based on coral consumption, so it’s pretty easy to keep everything stable by doing regular testing. If my coral consumption increases, I can increase the daily dosage and maintain stable parameters.

Are you dosing anything else for your reef health (carbon dosing, aminos, etc.)?
  • Daily dosage: Colombo Coral Vits (amino acids and vitamins for corals)
  • Weekly dosage: Reeflowers B-Color and Reeflowers F-Color (trace elements to enhance coral coloration). Colombo Bacto Balls
  • If needed I may also dose Reeflowers Potassium Blend to adjust potassium levels (only if needed).
Photo 05-11-23, 20 26 49.jpg

Lighting Summary and Objectives:

I use 3 Illumagic X4 SW Bluetooth + 2 Illumagic Vitamini SuperActinic LED bars. The thing I most appreciate about Illumagic is that it provides great PAR measurements, but the spectrum is a lot better than other brands, especially in the lower nm UV spectrum. It really makes a difference for me. Also, the app comes with pre-programmed lighting schedules for Acclimation, Mixed Tank and SPS Tank. I use the SPS Tank (P3) schedule and for me it’s a no brainer to just set it and don’t have to worry about making my own schedule that I won’t be sure if it’ll work.

Some photos of the lighting setup
Photo 25-10-23, 21 11 36.jpg

Photo 25-10-23, 21 11 01.jpg

Photo 18-10-23, 20 21 14.jpg

Photoperiod
  • Display tank:
Photo 14-11-23, 16 08 50.jpg
  • Refugium: 24/7 on

Filtration and Water Quality Summary and Objectives:
The tank is in my parents house, so my father is the one responsible for feeding the fishes, and he is quite the heavy feeder. Knowing that I decided to use the biggest skimmer I could find and it was a Red Starfish RS-C9 for 2000 liters. Also I have a pretty large sump, so I decided to also make a chaetomorpha refugium running 24/7.

Photo 25-10-23, 21 15 25.jpg

I never worried much about nitrates and I try to keep it around 0.5-2 ppm, since I noticed some acros I have don’t appreciate very low nitrates. If my nitrates go up a bit, I do some carbon dosing with Reeflowers Bacteria Feeder.

Phosphate is always between 0.03-0.06.

For nitrate and phosphate testing I use Colombo Test Kits.

What is your export strategy?

Heavy in / heavy out

What is your maintenance routine?
  • Daily: Feed the fish / Colombo Coral Vits
  • Weekly: Water testing / Reeflowers B-Color / Reeflowers F-Color / Reeflowers ZNAC
  • Clean the glasses twice a week with Flipper Edge
  • Other: Water change every two weeks

Fish list:
  • 2 x Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
  • Powder Blue Tang (Acanthurus leucosternon)
  • Yellow Tang (Zebrasoma flavescens)
  • Blue Tang (Paracanthurus hepatus)
  • Blonde Naso Tang (Naso elegans)
  • Metallic Foxface (Siganus magnificus)
  • Pyramid Buttterfly (Hemitaurichthys polylepis)
  • Copperband Butterfly (Chelmon rostratus)
  • Spotted Mandarin Goby (Synchiropus picturatus)
  • Yellow Coris Wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus)
  • Blue Sided Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura)
  • Melanurus Wrasse (Halichoeres malanurus)
  • 2 x Diamond Goby (Valenciennea puellaris)
Photo 05-11-23, 20 12 52.jpg

Photo 05-11-23, 20 13 32.jpg

Photo 05-11-23, 20 39 50.jpg

Photo 05-11-23, 21 00 28.jpg

Invertebrates and Corals:
  • Several species of Acropora
  • Montipora digitata
  • Montipora setosa
  • Seritatopora caliendrum
  • Stylophora
  • Anacropora
  • Caulastrea furcata
  • Entacmaea quadricolor
  • Tridacna squamosa
  • Mespillia globulus
  • Lysmata wudermanni
  • Astropecten polyacanthus
Photo 05-11-23, 20 03 11.jpg

Photo 05-11-23, 20 19 17.jpg

Photo 18-10-23, 20 09 49.jpg

Fish and Coral Feeding:
  • Sera and Tetra Flakes
  • Mussel for the Copperband
  • Colombo Coral Vits
How did you decide what to keep in your tank?

For corals, 98% are SPS and I do have one Kryptonite Caulastrea. I really like the color and contrast this coral gives.

As for coral placement I always try to put corals with contrast colors to give a better look.

One animal I had to make room for is my Squamosa Clam that has been with me for around 8 years.

I also wanted to have an anemone for my pair of Clownfish that were with me since my first tank in 2003. Unfortunately the male passed away last year and I recently added a new clownfish to make company to the 20 year old female.

Regarding the fishes, I always add animals that will work to make the tank clean so Metallic Foxface, Tangs, Cleanup Crew, and Tuxedo Urchin for algae control, Melanurus Wrasse, Yellow Coris Wrasse, and Mandarin for pest control, Copperband Butterfly and Peppermint Shrimp for Aiptasia control, Diamond Goby and Sand Sifting Starfish to keep the sandbed clean.

Photo 05-11-23, 20 07 21.jpg

Any stocking regrets?

Not for this tank.

Any fish, invert, or coral you will NEVER keep?

Several, but Coris aygula is always what comes first in my mind.

What do you love most about the hobby?
Watching your tank thrive is one of the most rewarding things in life. Also, aquascaping is one of the things I love the most.

Photo 05-11-23, 20 28 32.jpg

How long have you been doing this?

20 years in the hobby and 9 years working in the industry importing fishes, corals and products.

Who was responsible for getting you into the hobby?

I have to say my father and my cousin were big influences to me. I decided to have a reef aquarium after watching Finding Nemo in 2003.

Who or what in the hobby most influences/inspires you?

Any good looking tank is an inspiration to me. Since I’m always making new projects, I’m always searching for ideas.

If you could have any tank, what size would it be and why?

I have a few other tanks and making new projects all the time. My next tank is 85 x 60 x 40 cm (33" x 24" x 16") and will be SPS dominant too.

Favorite fish?

My 20-year-old female clownfish

Photo 05-11-23, 20 10 36.jpg

Favorite coral?

It changes every time, but I have to say Oregon Tort is one of my all time favourite.

Favorite invert?
My squamosa clam

Photo 05-11-23, 20 02 33.jpg

How do you typically get over setbacks?
I usually don’t get upset. Working in the industry, especially importing fishes and corals, you learn the hard way how to deal with losses and setbacks. How you deal with setbacks defines what kind of aquarist you will be. People need to find their balance to make the hobby fun. Otherwise, they start to pile up upsets and end up quitting the hobby.

Have you faced any major challenges with this tank, and if so, how did you overcome?
The major issue that happened recently was in the beginning of November/2023. There was a huge power outage that happened in Sao Paulo. We had no power for more than 30 hours. Some others were left for almost 4-5 days with no power at all. For the first 12 hours, we used air compressors and then I was able to use a power generator for the return pump and wave makers. Unfortunately, my biological filtration was severely affected and also some larger colonies felt the lack of flow. Most SPS lost their colors and also had RTN in some colonies. Now I’m working on getting the tank established again and bringing back the SPS colors.

Photo 18-10-23, 20 07 51.jpg

What's the best thing you ever bought for your tank?
The best thing for me is my Acquapro Test Mixer that makes testing easy and quick. Also, having a power generator is very helpful.

What are your future plans for improvement/upgrade of the tank?
I don’t know when but probably I’ll be disassembling this tank to make a new project in the near future. I love making new projects and generating new content for our followers.

Any special tips for success or advice you'd like to share with other reefers?
  • Don’t get all worried about high PAR readings if your light doesn’t provide the adequate spectrum for your corals.
  • Patience and planning is key to avoid problems.
  • Don’t chase numbers. Always look for stability.
  • Dedication gives more results than high end equipment.
Photo 18-10-23, 20 11 17.jpg

Photo 05-11-23, 20 13 27.jpg

Final Thoughts?

I would like to thank you for reading this article until this end and hope that I have helped you in some way.

I want to thank the Reef2Reef team again for giving me the honor to be the January 2024 ROTM.

Please follow @reefpointbr on Instagram/Facebook/Tik Tok to see not only this tank, but some other pretty cool tanks we have.

Photo 18-10-23, 20 05 49.jpg

Here are a few of Reef Point's other tanks
Photo 01-02-13, 07 41 41.jpg

Photo 08-12-20, 20 10 33.jpg

Photo 26-05-22, 16 30 23.jpg

Photo 10-12-20, 19 02 01.jpg

Photo 19-01-21, 20 22 21.jpg

Photo 25-12-13, 19 58 11.jpg

Photo 29-07-22, 16 53 08.jpg
You have inspired me

Andre_Takahashi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First I just gotta say WOW!
Great job on the aquascape, love the modern style.
Inspirational for sure.

Couple of questions:

The sps look like they are close to the surface, how do you plan to deal with the sps when they run out of vertical room to grow?

How the heck has your BTA stayed put at the base of the rockwork?!?! My BTAs don't move around too much, after they've moved upwards that is lol
To be honest I'm not planning much about it.
I'll try to control what I can, but if not I'll just let them grow over each other.

I use a little vase for the anemone.
For BTA usually works, as they just need a hole to hide the base.

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef of the month  title.jpg

R2R Username: @Andre_Takahashi
Tank Thread:
Takahashi’s in wall tank

Photo 05-11-23, 20 01 38.jpg

Introduction:

First I would like to thank Reef2Reef staff for choosing my tank to be featured here. It was always a dream of mine as a reef aquarist to achieve ROTM status and to be among the best aquarists in the world. I’m feeling like a winner of the IAPLC planted tank contest right now.

My name is Andre Takahashi from Brazil. I’m 37 years old and been reefing since I was 17, so 20 years in the hobby. I’ve been working in the aquarium industry for 9 years and since 2017, I’m one of the owners of Reef Point. We are importers and exclusive distributors of prestigious brands like Marco Rocks, Flipper, Reeflowers, Illumagic and Colombo. One of the things I am always making is new tanks and setups to show results and quality of the products I work with. Building aquascapes is also something I love.

This tank is located in my parents house and the structure and glass was made in 2010. This is the fourth setup using the same glass and sump. In September 2021 this setup was built with the idea of making an awesome SPS tank with an iconic aquascape that could inspire others, and I believe my mission was accomplished since this aquascape became very popular in Brazil.

I made this aquascape using Marco Rocks Premium Shelf and to counterbalance the overhang weight, beneath the sandbed I used Marco Rocks Foundation with almost the same length. It was also very important to use E-Marco 400 mortar to make everything well-structured.

My recipe to have good results is three things: Quality lighting (PAR + Spectrum), decent flow ,and water quality. To me, water quality means to have controlled nutrients and stable parameters. I’ve kept tanks with 11 dkH/480 Ca and 7dkH/420 Ca with great results. As long as there are no huge fluctuations, it should be fine.

Aquascape in development
Photo 16-08-21, 17 05 05.jpg

Photo 17-08-21, 12 14 54.jpg

Photo 13-09-21, 18 17 28.jpg

Photo 05-11-23, 20 15 26.jpg

System Profile
  • Display tank: 140 x 75 x 50 cm (55" x 30" x 20")
  • Glass or Acrylic: 10 mm Glass
  • Stand: Concrete
  • Sump: 160 x 65 x 40
  • Protein skimmer: Red Starfish RS-C9
  • Carbon/phosphate filtration: Reeflowers Detox G-1100 Granular Activated Carbon
  • Return pump: YiFang GF12000
  • Water circulation: 2 Rossmont M1900, 1 SunSun JVP 102, 1 HSBAO W40
  • Lighting (display): 3 Illumagic X4 SW Bluetooth modules + 2 Illumagic Vitamini 1200 Super Actinic Led bars
  • Lighting (refugium): Aqualumini Refugium
  • Calcium/alkalinity/magnesium dosing equipment: Kamoer X1
  • Auto top-off: Aqualumini Aqualevel
  • Heating/cooling: Chiller NY 1/3 HP / Heater 2 Eheim Jagger 300w
  • System control: None
  • Anything else: Yifang ceramic media

Here are some photos of the tank as it got started
Photo 13-09-21, 18 17 09.jpg

December 3, 2021
Photo 03-12-21, 22 16 32.jpg

September 13, 2022
Photo 13-09-22, 18 58 07.jpg

October 18, 2023
Photo 18-10-23, 20 05 10.jpg

Recent photo
Photo 05-11-23, 20 02 02.jpg

Water Circulation and Flow Summary and Objectives:

I never worried much about pulsing waves, random flow or fancy pump controllers. Of course they are pretty cool, but my philosophy regarding flow is the more the better, as long as the flow doesn’t rip off the coral’s tissue. If the SPS polyps are moving and there is no detritus over the corals you should be fine. Strong flow also means a stronger and symmetric colony. The tank started with only 2 Rossmonts M1900 with a Waver controller. As time passed and the colonies grew, I added two more pumps to increase flow. I may have to change the Sunsun pump soon to add a stronger one in the near future.

Photo 05-11-23, 20 26 41.jpg

Water Parameters:
  • Temp: 25-26.5 celsius (77-80 F)
  • pH: 8.2
  • Specific gravity: 1.025
  • NO3: 0.5 – 2 ppm
  • Ca: 420 – 440 ppm
  • Alk: 8 – 8.5 dkh
  • Mg: 1320 – 1380 ppm
  • PO4: 0.03 – 0.06
  • Ammonia and nitrites: 0 / 0
Photo 05-11-23, 20 07 12.jpg

What salt mix do you use?

I have been using Reeflowers Caledonia Coral Salt since the beginning. It is a natural salt, mixes very fast and always gave me great results. I do 20% water changes every 2 weeks or 30% every 3 weeks. I usually try to maintain the schedule to every 2 weeks.

What kind of rock did you start with?
  • Marco Rocks Reef Saver
  • Marco Rocks Foundation
  • Marco Rocks Premium Shelf
Photo 13-09-21, 18 17 23.jpg

What is your substrate?
Reeflowers Pearl White Sand 1-1.5 mm. It’s a very white calcium carbonate sand and gives a great look.

Calcium/Alkalinity/Magnesium Summary and Objectives:
Stable parameters are one of the things I’m always aiming for. Every week I test kH, Calcium and Magnesium with Colombo Test kits and make adjustments in my dosing according to the tank consumption.

Photo 05-11-23, 20 20 55.jpg

What and how do you dose for the big 3 (alk/cal/mag)?
I use Reeflowers Balling Set using a Kamoer X1 for each element. It’s a 4 part dosing with:
  • Pure kH for alkalinity.
  • Pure Calcium for calcium
  • Pure Magnesium for magnesium
  • Ionic Mineral Salt for Ionic Balance and trace elements
The dosing is based on coral consumption, so it’s pretty easy to keep everything stable by doing regular testing. If my coral consumption increases, I can increase the daily dosage and maintain stable parameters.

Are you dosing anything else for your reef health (carbon dosing, aminos, etc.)?
  • Daily dosage: Colombo Coral Vits (amino acids and vitamins for corals)
  • Weekly dosage: Reeflowers B-Color and Reeflowers F-Color (trace elements to enhance coral coloration). Colombo Bacto Balls
  • If needed I may also dose Reeflowers Potassium Blend to adjust potassium levels (only if needed).
Photo 05-11-23, 20 26 49.jpg

Lighting Summary and Objectives:

I use 3 Illumagic X4 SW Bluetooth + 2 Illumagic Vitamini SuperActinic LED bars. The thing I most appreciate about Illumagic is that it provides great PAR measurements, but the spectrum is a lot better than other brands, especially in the lower nm UV spectrum. It really makes a difference for me. Also, the app comes with pre-programmed lighting schedules for Acclimation, Mixed Tank and SPS Tank. I use the SPS Tank (P3) schedule and for me it’s a no brainer to just set it and don’t have to worry about making my own schedule that I won’t be sure if it’ll work.

Some photos of the lighting setup
Photo 25-10-23, 21 11 36.jpg

Photo 25-10-23, 21 11 01.jpg

Photo 18-10-23, 20 21 14.jpg

Photoperiod
  • Display tank:
Photo 14-11-23, 16 08 50.jpg
  • Refugium: 24/7 on

Filtration and Water Quality Summary and Objectives:
The tank is in my parents house, so my father is the one responsible for feeding the fishes, and he is quite the heavy feeder. Knowing that I decided to use the biggest skimmer I could find and it was a Red Starfish RS-C9 for 2000 liters. Also I have a pretty large sump, so I decided to also make a chaetomorpha refugium running 24/7.

Photo 25-10-23, 21 15 25.jpg

I never worried much about nitrates and I try to keep it around 0.5-2 ppm, since I noticed some acros I have don’t appreciate very low nitrates. If my nitrates go up a bit, I do some carbon dosing with Reeflowers Bacteria Feeder.

Phosphate is always between 0.03-0.06.

For nitrate and phosphate testing I use Colombo Test Kits.

What is your export strategy?

Heavy in / heavy out

What is your maintenance routine?
  • Daily: Feed the fish / Colombo Coral Vits
  • Weekly: Water testing / Reeflowers B-Color / Reeflowers F-Color / Reeflowers ZNAC
  • Clean the glasses twice a week with Flipper Edge
  • Other: Water change every two weeks

Fish list:
  • 2 x Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
  • Powder Blue Tang (Acanthurus leucosternon)
  • Yellow Tang (Zebrasoma flavescens)
  • Blue Tang (Paracanthurus hepatus)
  • Blonde Naso Tang (Naso elegans)
  • Metallic Foxface (Siganus magnificus)
  • Pyramid Buttterfly (Hemitaurichthys polylepis)
  • Copperband Butterfly (Chelmon rostratus)
  • Spotted Mandarin Goby (Synchiropus picturatus)
  • Yellow Coris Wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus)
  • Blue Sided Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura)
  • Melanurus Wrasse (Halichoeres malanurus)
  • 2 x Diamond Goby (Valenciennea puellaris)
Photo 05-11-23, 20 12 52.jpg

Photo 05-11-23, 20 13 32.jpg

Photo 05-11-23, 20 39 50.jpg

Photo 05-11-23, 21 00 28.jpg

Invertebrates and Corals:
  • Several species of Acropora
  • Montipora digitata
  • Montipora setosa
  • Seritatopora caliendrum
  • Stylophora
  • Anacropora
  • Caulastrea furcata
  • Entacmaea quadricolor
  • Tridacna squamosa
  • Mespillia globulus
  • Lysmata wudermanni
  • Astropecten polyacanthus
Photo 05-11-23, 20 03 11.jpg

Photo 05-11-23, 20 19 17.jpg

Photo 18-10-23, 20 09 49.jpg

Fish and Coral Feeding:
  • Sera and Tetra Flakes
  • Mussel for the Copperband
  • Colombo Coral Vits
How did you decide what to keep in your tank?

For corals, 98% are SPS and I do have one Kryptonite Caulastrea. I really like the color and contrast this coral gives.

As for coral placement I always try to put corals with contrast colors to give a better look.

One animal I had to make room for is my Squamosa Clam that has been with me for around 8 years.

I also wanted to have an anemone for my pair of Clownfish that were with me since my first tank in 2003. Unfortunately the male passed away last year and I recently added a new clownfish to make company to the 20 year old female.

Regarding the fishes, I always add animals that will work to make the tank clean so Metallic Foxface, Tangs, Cleanup Crew, and Tuxedo Urchin for algae control, Melanurus Wrasse, Yellow Coris Wrasse, and Mandarin for pest control, Copperband Butterfly and Peppermint Shrimp for Aiptasia control, Diamond Goby and Sand Sifting Starfish to keep the sandbed clean.

Photo 05-11-23, 20 07 21.jpg

Any stocking regrets?

Not for this tank.

Any fish, invert, or coral you will NEVER keep?

Several, but Coris aygula is always what comes first in my mind.

What do you love most about the hobby?
Watching your tank thrive is one of the most rewarding things in life. Also, aquascaping is one of the things I love the most.

Photo 05-11-23, 20 28 32.jpg

How long have you been doing this?

20 years in the hobby and 9 years working in the industry importing fishes, corals and products.

Who was responsible for getting you into the hobby?

I have to say my father and my cousin were big influences to me. I decided to have a reef aquarium after watching Finding Nemo in 2003.

Who or what in the hobby most influences/inspires you?

Any good looking tank is an inspiration to me. Since I’m always making new projects, I’m always searching for ideas.

If you could have any tank, what size would it be and why?

I have a few other tanks and making new projects all the time. My next tank is 85 x 60 x 40 cm (33" x 24" x 16") and will be SPS dominant too.

Favorite fish?

My 20-year-old female clownfish

Photo 05-11-23, 20 10 36.jpg

Favorite coral?

It changes every time, but I have to say Oregon Tort is one of my all time favourite.

Favorite invert?
My squamosa clam

Photo 05-11-23, 20 02 33.jpg

How do you typically get over setbacks?
I usually don’t get upset. Working in the industry, especially importing fishes and corals, you learn the hard way how to deal with losses and setbacks. How you deal with setbacks defines what kind of aquarist you will be. People need to find their balance to make the hobby fun. Otherwise, they start to pile up upsets and end up quitting the hobby.

Have you faced any major challenges with this tank, and if so, how did you overcome?
The major issue that happened recently was in the beginning of November/2023. There was a huge power outage that happened in Sao Paulo. We had no power for more than 30 hours. Some others were left for almost 4-5 days with no power at all. For the first 12 hours, we used air compressors and then I was able to use a power generator for the return pump and wave makers. Unfortunately, my biological filtration was severely affected and also some larger colonies felt the lack of flow. Most SPS lost their colors and also had RTN in some colonies. Now I’m working on getting the tank established again and bringing back the SPS colors.

Photo 18-10-23, 20 07 51.jpg

What's the best thing you ever bought for your tank?
The best thing for me is my Acquapro Test Mixer that makes testing easy and quick. Also, having a power generator is very helpful.

What are your future plans for improvement/upgrade of the tank?
I don’t know when but probably I’ll be disassembling this tank to make a new project in the near future. I love making new projects and generating new content for our followers.

Any special tips for success or advice you'd like to share with other reefers?
  • Don’t get all worried about high PAR readings if your light doesn’t provide the adequate spectrum for your corals.
  • Patience and planning is key to avoid problems.
  • Don’t chase numbers. Always look for stability.
  • Dedication gives more results than high end equipment.
Photo 18-10-23, 20 11 17.jpg

Photo 05-11-23, 20 13 27.jpg

Final Thoughts?

I would like to thank you for reading this article until this end and hope that I have helped you in some way.

I want to thank the Reef2Reef team again for giving me the honor to be the January 2024 ROTM.

Please follow @reefpointbr on Instagram/Facebook/Tik Tok to see not only this tank, but some other pretty cool tanks we have.

Photo 18-10-23, 20 05 49.jpg

Here are a few of Reef Point's other tanks
Photo 01-02-13, 07 41 41.jpg

Photo 08-12-20, 20 10 33.jpg

Photo 26-05-22, 16 30 23.jpg

Photo 10-12-20, 19 02 01.jpg

Photo 19-01-21, 20 22 21.jpg

Photo 25-12-13, 19 58 11.jpg

Photo 29-07-22, 16 53 08.jpg
You can really build nice reefs with that self rock, I think my next build I will do the same.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back