REEF OF THE MONTH - March 2024: A Truly Epic Aquarium!!!

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen this amazing tank a couple of times, it is awesome! I've also bought 30+ very nice frags out of it.
Thank you for the kind words! More frags coming your way soon!

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Amazing tank and specimens. I can’t believe you feed an entire pound of food per day.
Thank you. Just to clarify (I didn't word it well in the write up) that amount is after the RODI is added so about 2/3 of it is RODI and 1/3 is the food.

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bill , A great tank and credit to you for all the hard work it takes . Can you tell me what this Acro is called if it has a name and species as i have one similar

1709713473347.png
Thank you for the kind words. This one I imported a few years ago. I lost most of the colony,but saved a small frag and it has grown into this. It's a very slow grower and does lots of encrusting. I believe it is an A granulosa.

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank! Would love more details on the lanthanum incident — was it an issue of overdosing or something else? What’s your dosing method?

I am also dosing lanthanum and would appreciate learning more about this!
Thank you! I had been using Phosphat-E from Brightwells, but decide to try a lanthanum product made for pools called Sea Klear as it was much cheaper and a friend (as well as many other hobbyists) was having success with it. It is much more concentrated than Phosphat-E. I should have run it through a 1 micron sock (which I did have on hand) but I dosed it like I would the Phosphat-E which ran through a 200 micron sock and through the skimmer. Unfortunately the particles created by the Sea Klear did not get filtered by the sock or the skimmer and caused many of my beautiful fish to die. You can get more info by watching this Reef Bum interview I did with Keith the day that it happened :( I now use Phophat-E when I need to reduce PO4.

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats Bill! I met you at an AZFrag meeting last year. Now I plan on begging to see your tank the next time I’m in the area!
Hi Dave, I remember you! Come in December as I'll be hosting the AZ Frag meeting! Reach out next time you're in town and we'll set something up.

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing such an amazing and "EPIC" reef tank with us!!
Thank you David @revhtree! it was great catching up with you at Reefstock Denver this past weekend!

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stunning tank and fish!!!! Do you happen to have any pictures showing lets say 2 corals A and B - where A is clearly inducing B to grow away, etc - since you have a lot of corals thought it might be interesting
Thank you for the kind words. I definitely have examples of that. I'll try to get some pics and post them.

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So beautiful and so love the dedicated Colorado Sunburst tank on the side
Thank you!. I love the symbiotic relationship between clownfish and anemones but I didn't want any anemones in the DT since they tend to wander and sting SPS.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this tank is a beautiful tank and definitely an achievement!! this was a very nice writeup, loved all the pictures and information provided, thank you!!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that you are still running G4 Pro Radions. Did some fail and you replaced them with G6? I am still running G4 Pros myself and debate every now and then whether to replace them ..... but they work fine and don't require Mobius.

It really is a fantastic looking tank. I'd say I was jealous; except I am not having just gotten rid of my 450 (though my SPS never looked that good). Just too much work. Now I'm quite happy just to see other people's tanks.

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that you are still running G4 Pro Radions. Did some fail and you replaced them with G6? I am still running G4 Pros myself and debate every now and then whether to replace them ..... but they work fine and don't require Mobius.

It really is a fantastic looking tank. I'd say I was jealous; except I am not having just gotten rid of my 450 (though my SPS never looked that good). Just too much work. Now I'm quite happy just to see other people's tanks.
I strongly feel that the G4s are a much better light than the G5 or G6. I switched a few of the G4s out for G6 blues. I’ve had lots of issues with them because Mobius is horrible and there are bugs that Eco-Tech won’t fix when you have a lot of their products running on Mobius. I’m actually testing out some Orphek Icons over a grow out tank and just got a Reefi Uno today to test out. I will most likely be replacing the Radions with one of these brands as both would require fewer units as they both have much better spread than Radions from what I understand. Thank you for the kind words!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back