Reef of the Month - June 2024: Three Amazing Nano Tanks!!!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This thread is for the general discussion of the Article Reef of the Month - June 2024: Three Amazing Nano Tanks!!!. Please add to the discussion here.

rotm june copy.png

R2R Username: @mk_reefs
Tank Threads:
WaterBox 20, WaterBox 10 Floating Reef, and Bubble Tank
This month we are feature three nano reef tanks by @mk_reefs. In the sections that follow you will read and see information about @mk_reefs approach to reefing as well as the description and pictures of all three tanks. addition to information provided in the following material about these tanks, you can also check out the links above that will take you to the tank threads. Enjoy these stunning tanks!

1717276174731.png
1717278113865.png
1000013719.jpg

I'm Mike, a nano reef enthusiast. Also known as mk_reefs on other social media platforms. One of my biggest accomplishments has been being published in Q4 of Reef Hobbyist Magazine in 2023. I enjoy keeping nano tanks and creating different ecosystems.

Let's talk about the tanks...

Tank #1 - WaterBox 20 Gallon

1717275954742.jpeg

System Profile Questions:
Display tank: Waterbox 20
Glass or Acrylic: Glass
Stand: Homemade
Sump: all in one
Protein skimmer: IOAOI nano skimmer
Carbon/phosphate filtration: Reef-N-Rolls automatic roller
Return pump: Mighty jet mini
Water circulation: x3 -Nero 3's
Lighting (display): Illumagic X4, Supplemental AI blades 12''
Calcium/alkalinity/magnesium dosing equipment: Red Seas Reef Dose 2
Auto top-off: auto aqua
Heating/cooling: Eheim 150W
System control: Neptune apex

Water Circulation and Flow Summary and Objectives:
Being that the Waterbox 20 is bare bottom, I have three Nero 3s in there and can ramp up to any amount of flow I need. The two Neros on the side of the aquarium run at 60% random and the last is stuffed in the bottom left corner at 50% constant. The objective with the bottom Nero is to keep detritus off the bottom in a perfect world and suspend it in the water column. It doesn't manage to get all of it but it does cut down on my maintenance quite a bit.

Water Parameters:
Temp: 79-80
pH:8.1-8.4
Specific gravity:1.026
NO3: 5-8 ppm
Ca: 410-430
Alk: 8.5-9 dkh
Mg: 1375-1400
PO4: .07-.15

1000012049.jpg

What salt mix do you use? (Feel free to add why you choose this one.)
I use the Fritz RPM blue box. I love this salt. I grew up watching coralfish12g and just never strayed far away from the salt he has used. I like the higher mag that it has and the option to email fritz and they can tell you about the parameters with the batch number accurately.
What kind of rock did you start with? (live, dry, combination)
Dry rock, I feel this is the best way to minimize any unwanted inhabitants.

1717276221031.png

Calcium/Alkalinity/Magnesium Summary and Objectives:
I don't stray too far away from the parameters listed on my box of salt. Solely because if issues do arise in my system and I need to do an immediate water change I don’t bounce parameters. In a perfect world, my target numbers are 8.5 alkalinity, 420 calcium, and 1400 magnesium.

What and how do you dose for the big 3 (alk/cal/mag)?
For my three major trace elements, I am currently dosing ATI Pro Essentials at max concentration. I like that it comes in two parts and doses the major and minor traces. Part 1 is the alkalinity and part two the wrapped calcium and magnesium together.

Are you dosing anything else for your reef health (carbon dosing, aminos, etc.)?
In conjunction with the ATI, for coral nutrition I’ve tried a handful of products. currently have stopped at Aqua Forest Power elixir. On top of the elixir, I am dosing the drops of the A,B,V,E Aminos, Build, Vitality, Energy.

1717276285742.png

Lighting Summary and Objectives:
Lights, my favorite part of all my systems. I over light about every tank I have just so I can go in any direction I please coral wise. The main light on this system is the Illumagic X4 from Dalua. I feel the quad puck layout is far more superior than any linear style in terms of evenness in par and spread. The light is fine by itself, and I only have the blades on there to orient light in different directions. It drives me absolutely insane when a birdsnest shades itself out, growing on top of itself. The 12'' blades are what I hope mitigates that from happening.

1717276314355.png

Photoperiod:
My lights kick on around 8 A.M. and ramp down all the way until 11PM at night. I run a 10-hr. main photo schedule with par hitting around 350 at my 4-hour peak. from 6:30 P.M. to 11 P.M. It's basically just moonlight. The tank is lit with around 20-25 par. It allows me to enjoy the tank a little longer at the end of the day.

What is your export strategy?
Water changes 20% if needed. I always allow nutrients to dictate a water change. It could be a month; it could be 3 months.

1717277169756.png

What is your maintenance routine?
Daily: Keep up on glass
Weekly: Testing nutrients and possible water changes.

Tank Inhabitants—Fish:
1. 2x frostbite clowns
2. Spotted dragonet
3. Royal gramma
4. Banggai cardinal
5. Orange back fairy wrasse

1717276621351.png

1717276433766.png

1717276553649.png

1717276493525.png

1717276594473.png

Other Invertebrates:
1. 4x trochus snails

1717276805512.png

Tank Inhabitants— Corals:
1. Forest fire digitata
2. green digitata
3. Ora blue birdsnest
4. TSA optimus prime
5. green slimer
6. purple stylo
7. red planet
8. walt disney
9. pink birdnest
10. Birds of paradise
11. various zoas, gsp, and blue sympodium as fillers

1717276669279.png

1717276743046.png

How did you decide what to keep in this tank?
This tank really decided that for me, i used to run a macro algae reactor on this tank, it was a great way of nutrient export. I had various Euphyllia and other LPS in there with a few acros. needless to say, it did such a great job at stripping the water column of nutrients the SPS were the only thing to survive. I then went down a nutrient rabbit hole. Being that the SPS made it, it was generally the only thing I’ve been adding to the system.

Tank #2 - WaterBox 10 Gallon "Floating Reef"

1717277503530.png

Display tank: Waterbox 10 “floating reef”
Stand: Wife’s entry table
Return pump: ZKSJ BT-700
Water circulation: Return pump on a pulse setting
Lighting (display): Illumagic PiXels 1- Reefer 1- Fragger
Calcium/alkalinity/magnesium dosing equipment: Reef Factory X1 Pro
Auto top-off: Mifios
Heating/cooling: Finnex 100w

1717277588686.png

I've tried many different flow settings for this tank, I've settled with pulling out any additional wave makers and upgrading the return pump. The ZKSJ pump I've picked off AliExpress is more than enough for this system. It is a centrifugal pump and has a constant and a pulse setting. Currently it's running on pulse.

Water Parameters:
NO3: 10-15 ppm
PO4: .1-.18

1717277930614.png

On the 10 gallon, I am dosing All for Reef for my major three trace elements.

Are you dosing anything else for your reef health (carbon dosing, aminos, etc.)?
In conjunction with the All for reef ,On top of the elixir, I am dosing the drops of the A,B,V,E Aminos, Build, Vitality, Energy.

1717277540016.png

The lighting on the 10 is simple and unique. These are 20w Illumagic PiXels.Comparing one PiXel to a Prime at 44w I was getting identical par at 100% with one these lights. They are auto dimmer and non-WIFI. I definitely don't need two of them on this system, but I like my whiter spectrum during the day because they are single colors. You have a whiter blend which is the reefer, a super blue which is the fragger.

Photoperiod:
All photo periods mimic each other.

1000009605.jpg

For a while, it has been water changes, and I would steal water out of the cleaner SPS system and change water with that. I still may do that as I like to run higher nutrients in my mixed reef system. Now, dosing All for Reef allows me to drag out the water changes later. Great for me because i like to keep this system a little “dirtier”

1717277453355.png

1000011027.jpg

Tank Inhabitants—Fish:
1. frostbite clown
2. Tail spot blenny
3. Possum wrasse
4. Banggai cardinal

1717277825785.png

1717277791650.png

Zoas
GSP
Hammer
Frogspawn
Blastos
Mushrooms
Mini maxi carpet nem
Kenya
Purple stylo
Green branching hydnophora
Firework cloves
Coco worm

1717277715018.png

1717277754066.png

1717277680455.png

When I set this tank up, I wanted to keep it simple, and utilize some of the stuff I already had as well. Most of it is all cultured by me besides the Euphyllia. Surprisingly, with how close some of these corals are to each other, most seem un-bothered by the warfare going on. It does happen from time to time, and I have to either move, frag, or replace some stuff. To me it's just part of owning a nano, especially on a floating reef scape sitting on a 1 ⁄ 4 piece of acrylic. To make it appear floating I heated it with a torch and bent a “L” shape in. I then siliconed it to the back glass for easy securement.

Tank #3 - 13 Gallon Bubble Tank

1000014050.jpg
Display tank: 13 gallon “bubble tank”
Glass or Acrylic: Acrylic
Stand: Concrete countertop
Sump: Trigger 30
Carbon/phosphate filtration: 2x 4” filter cups
Return pump: Orlushy DC 12000
Water circulation: return pump
Lighting (display): Illumagic PiXel Fragger
Auto top-off: Kamore
Heating/cooling: Hygger 800w

The bubble has flow, I don't have any wave makers in there to protect my anemones. It is enough for about anything in that tank.

Water Parameters:
NO3: 5-10ppm
PO4: .1-.15

Brightwell’s Reef Code A & B and Magnesium

Along with the Brightwell products I am dosing Fuel by Aquavitro and about 4000 mg of vitamin C daily in that system.

1000014051.jpg

Photoperiod:

1000012205.jpg

Water changes if I need to, if it can be chemically aaltered,I will do that over a water change. The bubble tank is part of a larger system, it's in my “lab” it's where all of my aqua culturing goes on. Kind of like a little office tank if it was my office. The system has been set up for over a year with maybe a handful of water changes. I always find myself adding nutrients and keeping the skimmer shut off. Phosphate is my bigger issue out there, but I can alter it with a product called Phosphate E by Brightwell.

1000009504.jpg

Tank Inhabitants—Fish:
  • Davinci clowns
  • Firefish
  • Rose bubble anemone
  • Green bubble anemone
  • Zoas
  • Kenya
  • Cabbage leather
  • Rock flower
  • Toadstool
I wanted anemones, but I didn't want them running rampant and having to worry about them getting chewed up by any moving parts. The bubble tank was the perfect place to accomplish this. I believe its spherical figure provides an all-around flow for all of the anemones and soft corals in that system. Everyone gets along together and there is no die off. I've found soft coral can be really resilient being housed with anemones. For a while there was some moving around and everyone finding their places. It's definitely the perfect environment for nems being nems.

1000014053.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Let's talk some about your general experience and thoughts on the hobby...

You seem very intentional about what you've kept in each of your systems. Do you have any stocking regrets?
Six-line wrasse. They are great fish; it should always be the last fish to any system. One of my original clowns jumped when I had the lid off for an extended period of the day. after about 4 re pairing of the clowns. any new addition within a couple of days the six-line would take out. It took me three months to catch him without tearing the system apart. I now have another clown and everyone gets along just fine.

Any fish, invert, or coral you will NEVER keep?
I'll give anything a try if it lets me.

1717277122700.png

What do you love most about the hobby?
Connecting with people is my favorite part, teaching people my ways of doing things and eventually if they stick to it watching their systems thrive. People say nano tanks are hard to keep, they aren't. it's just untrue. Learn nutrients, learn your major three elements, and just maintain them.

How long have you been doing this?
I got into the hobby around the age of 14, I was keeping African cichlids then transitioned to saltwater fish only. That was in the era of when SB reef lights just hit the market, and everyone was changing over.

1717277263067.png

Who was responsible for getting you into the hobby?
A friend, a brother named Jay. So much of a friend that they become adopted family members. He was really my dad’s friend but took care of me as his own. Growing up in PA we used to do runs back and forth from there to Coney Island and Cichlid breeder association events. He is the reason I got the saltwater bug. I have 6 systems currently up from display to aquaculture tanks.

Who or what in the hobby most influences/inspires you?
Hands down, Fish of Hex on YouTube. That guy contributed so much knowledge to my ways of doing things and the process of how I do it. Travis is a really great and knowledgeable person.

Favorite fish?
Spotted dragonet, there's something special about those fish to me.

1717276890887.png

Favorite coral?
Birds of paradise. I grew that coral from a 1'' frag and it could be the size of a soccer ball by now. A lot of trimming and fragging.

1717277054312.png

How do you typically get over setbacks?
Slowly, everything is slow. if something is wrong, something is dying, gradual changes. My most recent phosphate was 0.00 for months, it took me 5-7 months of altering, adding neophos to get my numbers up. Even still I struggled, it took well over 100ml of neophos in a week's time to get my numbers where they are now and holding.

What's the best thing you ever bought for your tanks?
The automatic roller from Reef-N-Rolls. It's probably the best innovative product for the all-in-one nano hobby. With two toddlers, and a busy schedule, it just takes that part of maintenance out for me. I swap the roll once a month, sometimes longer. It's been a staple in keeping the salinity stable, the nutrients under control, and the worries less problematic. Last vacation was definitely a breeze.

1717276959516.png

What are your future plans for improvement/upgrade of the tanks?
I want to possibly upgrade to maybe the Waterbox 35.2 maybe the 50.3. I just know it's going to be a lot of work in redoing everything. A strong part of me just wants to leave it how it is. It's not broken so don't fix it…

Any special tips for success or advice you'd like to share with other reefers?
Be consistent, your tank is only ever going to be as good as the test kit you have and what you test for. Send out that ICP quarterly for the things you cannot. You owe it to your system and your investment.

Final thoughts:

I've learned a lot coming back into this hobby from the four years I was away. If anything could have gone wrong and happened, it has. Don't be afraid to jump on many helpful platforms out there like this one. If there's a problem, it's archived in a time capsule like R2R. There are many different approaches you can take to solve problems. My best advice is to find someone successful and mimic what they do, the knowledge is free.

Encroaching on three years and being a part of multiple social media platforms, I just want to take the time and thank every one of you for your admiration to my creations. I love getting out there and connecting with other hobbyist. Looking forward to the future of reefing community and its endless progression from the hobbyist within.

Nano tanks rule. -MK

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is for the general discussion of the Article Reef of the Month - June 2024: Three Amazing Nano Tanks!!!. Please add to the discussion here.

rotm june copy.png

R2R Username: @mk_reefs
Tank Threads:
WaterBox 20, WaterBox 10 Floating Reef, and Bubble Tank
This month we are feature three nano reef tanks by @mk_reefs. In the sections that follow you will read and see information about @mk_reefs approach to reefing as well as the description and pictures of all three tanks. addition to information provided in the following material about these tanks, you can also check out the links above that will take you to the tank threads. Enjoy these stunning tanks!

1717276174731.png
1717278113865.png
1000013719.jpg

I'm Mike, a nano reef enthusiast. Also known as mk_reefs on other social media platforms. One of my biggest accomplishments has been being published in Q4 of Reef Hobbyist Magazine in 2023. I enjoy keeping nano tanks and creating different ecosystems.

Let's talk about the tanks...

Tank #1 - WaterBox 20 Gallon

1717275954742.jpeg

Display tank: Waterbox 20
Stand: Homemade
Protein skimmer: IOAOI nano skimmer
Return pump: Mighty jet mini
Water circulation: x3 -Nero 3's
Lighting (display): Illumagic X4, Supplemental AI blades 12''
Calcium/alkalinity/magnesium dosing equipment: Red Seas Reef Dose 2
Auto top-off: auto aqua
Heating/cooling: Eheim 150W
System control: Neptune apex

Being that the Waterbox 20 is bare bottom, I have three Nero 3s in there and can ramp up to any amount of flow I need. The two Neros on the side of the aquarium run at 60% random and the last is stuffed in the bottom left corner at 50% constant. The objective with the bottom Nero is to keep detritus off the bottom in a perfect world and suspend it in the water column. It doesn't manage to get all of it but it does cut down on my maintenance quite a bit.

Water Parameters:
NO3: 5-8 ppm
PO4: .07-.15

1000012049.jpg

What salt mix do you use? (Feel free to add why you choose this one.)
I use the Fritz RPM blue box. I love this salt. I grew up watching coralfish12g and just never strayed far away from the salt he has used. I like the higher mag that it has and the option to email fritz and they can tell you about the parameters with the batch number accurately.
What kind of rock did you start with? (live, dry, combination)
Dry rock, I feel this is the best way to minimize any unwanted inhabitants.

1717276221031.png

Calcium/Alkalinity/Magnesium Summary and Objectives:
I don't stray too far away from the parameters listed on my box of salt. Solely because if issues do arise in my system and I need to do an immediate water change I don’t bounce parameters. In a perfect world, my target numbers are 8.5 alkalinity, 420 calcium, and 1400 magnesium.

For my three major trace elements, I am currently dosing ATI Pro Essentials at max concentration. I like that it comes in two parts and doses the major and minor traces. Part 1 is the alkalinity and part two the wrapped calcium and magnesium together.

In conjunction with the ATI, for coral nutrition I’ve tried a handful of products. currently have stopped at Aqua Forest Power elixir. On top of the elixir, I am dosing the drops of the A,B,V,E Aminos, Build, Vitality, Energy.

1717276285742.png

Lights, my favorite part of all my systems. I over light about every tank I have just so I can go in any direction I please coral wise. The main light on this system is the Illumagic X4 from Dalua. I feel the quad puck layout is far more superior than any linear style in terms of evenness in par and spread. The light is fine by itself, and I only have the blades on there to orient light in different directions. It drives me absolutely insane when a birdsnest shades itself out, growing on top of itself. The 12'' blades are what I hope mitigates that from happening.

1717276314355.png

Photoperiod:
My lights kick on around 8 A.M. and ramp down all the way until 11PM at night. I run a 10-hr. main photo schedule with par hitting around 350 at my 4-hour peak. from 6:30 P.M. to 11 P.M. It's basically just moonlight. The tank is lit with around 20-25 par. It allows me to enjoy the tank a little longer at the end of the day.

Water changes 20% if needed. I always allow nutrients to dictate a water change. It could be a month; it could be 3 months.

1717277169756.png

Tank Inhabitants—Fish:
1. 2x frostbite clowns
2. Spotted dragonet
3. Royal gramma
4. Banggai cardinal
5. Orange back fairy wrasse

1717276621351.png

1717276433766.png

1717276553649.png

1717276493525.png

1717276594473.png

Other Invertebrates:
1. 4x trochus snails

1717276805512.png

1. Forest fire digitata
2. green digitata
3. Ora blue birdsnest
4. TSA optimus prime
5. green slimer
6. purple stylo
7. red planet
8. walt disney
9. pink birdnest
10. Birds of paradise
11. various zoas, gsp, and blue sympodium as fillers

1717276669279.png

1717276743046.png

This tank really decided that for me, i used to run a macro algae reactor on this tank, it was a great way of nutrient export. I had various Euphyllia and other LPS in there with a few acros. needless to say, it did such a great job at stripping the water column of nutrients the SPS were the only thing to survive. I then went down a nutrient rabbit hole. Being that the SPS made it, it was generally the only thing I’ve been adding to the system.

Tank #2 - WaterBox 10 Gallon "Floating Reef"

1717277503530.png

Display tank: Waterbox 10 “floating reef”
Stand: Wife’s entry table
Return pump: ZKSJ BT-700
Water circulation: Return pump on a pulse setting
Lighting (display): Illumagic PiXels 1- Reefer 1- Fragger
Auto top-off: Mifios
Heating/cooling: Finnex 100w

1717277588686.png

I've tried many different flow settings for this tank, I've settled with pulling out any additional wave makers and upgrading the return pump. The ZKSJ pump I've picked off AliExpress is more than enough for this system. It is a centrifugal pump and has a constant and a pulse setting. Currently it's running on pulse.

Water Parameters:
NO3: 10-15 ppm
PO4: .1-.18

1717277930614.png

On the 10 gallon, I am dosing All for Reef for my major three trace elements.

In conjunction with the All for reef ,On top of the elixir, I am dosing the drops of the A,B,V,E Aminos, Build, Vitality, Energy.

1717277540016.png

The lighting on the 10 is simple and unique. These are 20w Illumagic PiXels.Comparing one PiXel to a Prime at 44w I was getting identical par at 100% with one these lights. They are auto dimmer and non-WIFI. I definitely don't need two of them on this system, but I like my whiter spectrum during the day because they are single colors. You have a whiter blend which is the reefer, a super blue which is the fragger.

Photoperiod:

1000009605.jpg

For a while, it has been water changes, and I would steal water out of the cleaner SPS system and change water with that. I still may do that as I like to run higher nutrients in my mixed reef system. Now, dosing All for Reef allows me to drag out the water changes later. Great for me because i like to keep this system a little “dirtier”

1717277453355.png

1000011027.jpg

Tank Inhabitants—Fish:
1. frostbite clown
2. Tail spot blenny
3. Possum wrasse
4. Banggai cardinal

1717277825785.png

1717277791650.png

Zoas
GSP
Hammer
Frogspawn
Blastos
Mushrooms
Mini maxi carpet nem
Kenya
Purple stylo
Green branching hydnophora
Firework cloves
Coco worm

1717277715018.png

1717277754066.png

1717277680455.png

When I set this tank up, I wanted to keep it simple, and utilize some of the stuff I already had as well. Most of it is all cultured by me besides the Euphyllia. Surprisingly, with how close some of these corals are to each other, most seem un-bothered by the warfare going on. It does happen from time to time, and I have to either move, frag, or replace some stuff. To me it's just part of owning a nano, especially on a floating reef scape sitting on a 1 ⁄ 4 piece of acrylic. To make it appear floating I heated it with a torch and bent a “L” shape in. I then siliconed it to the back glass for easy securement.

Tank #3 - 13 Gallon Bubble Tank

1000014050.jpg
Display tank: 13 gallon “bubble tank”
Glass or Acrylic: Acrylic
Stand: Concrete countertop
Sump: Trigger 30
Carbon/phosphate filtration: 2x 4” filter cups
Return pump: Orlushy DC 12000
Water circulation: return pump
Lighting (display): Illumagic PiXel Fragger
Auto top-off: Kamore
Heating/cooling: Hygger 800w

The bubble has flow, I don't have any wave makers in there to protect my anemones. It is enough for about anything in that tank.

Water Parameters:
NO3: 5-10ppm
PO4: .1-.15

Brightwell’s Reef Code A & B and Magnesium

Along with the Brightwell products I am dosing Fuel by Aquavitro and about 4000 mg of vitamin C daily in that system.

1000014051.jpg

Photoperiod:

1000012205.jpg

Water changes if I need to, if it can be chemically aaltered,I will do that over a water change. The bubble tank is part of a larger system, it's in my “lab” it's where all of my aqua culturing goes on. Kind of like a little office tank if it was my office. The system has been set up for over a year with maybe a handful of water changes. I always find myself adding nutrients and keeping the skimmer shut off. Phosphate is my bigger issue out there, but I can alter it with a product called Phosphate E by Brightwell.

1000009504.jpg

Tank Inhabitants—Fish:
  • Davinci clowns
  • Firefish
  • Rose bubble anemone
  • Green bubble anemone
  • Zoas
  • Kenya
  • Cabbage leather
  • Rock flower
  • Toadstool
I wanted anemones, but I didn't want them running rampant and having to worry about them getting chewed up by any moving parts. The bubble tank was the perfect place to accomplish this. I believe its spherical figure provides an all-around flow for all of the anemones and soft corals in that system. Everyone gets along together and there is no die off. I've found soft coral can be really resilient being housed with anemones. For a while there was some moving around and everyone finding their places. It's definitely the perfect environment for nems being nems.

1000014053.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Let's talk some about your general experience and thoughts on the hobby...

You seem very intentional about what you've kept in each of your systems. Do you have any stocking regrets?
Six-line wrasse. They are great fish; it should always be the last fish to any system. One of my original clowns jumped when I had the lid off for an extended period of the day. after about 4 re pairing of the clowns. any new addition within a couple of days the six-line would take out. It took me three months to catch him without tearing the system apart. I now have another clown and everyone gets along just fine.

Any fish, invert, or coral you will NEVER keep?
I'll give anything a try if it lets me.

1717277122700.png

What do you love most about the hobby?
Connecting with people is my favorite part, teaching people my ways of doing things and eventually if they stick to it watching their systems thrive. People say nano tanks are hard to keep, they aren't. it's just untrue. Learn nutrients, learn your major three elements, and just maintain them.

How long have you been doing this?
I got into the hobby around the age of 14, I was keeping African cichlids then transitioned to saltwater fish only. That was in the era of when SB reef lights just hit the market, and everyone was changing over.

1717277263067.png

Who was responsible for getting you into the hobby?
A friend, a brother named Jay. So much of a friend that they become adopted family members. He was really my dad’s friend but took care of me as his own. Growing up in PA we used to do runs back and forth from there to Coney Island and Cichlid breeder association events. He is the reason I got the saltwater bug. I have 6 systems currently up from display to aquaculture tanks.

Who or what in the hobby most influences/inspires you?
Hands down, Fish of Hex on YouTube. That guy contributed so much knowledge to my ways of doing things and the process of how I do it. Travis is a really great and knowledgeable person.

Favorite fish?
Spotted dragonet, there's something special about those fish to me.

1717276890887.png

Favorite coral?
Birds of paradise. I grew that coral from a 1'' frag and it could be the size of a soccer ball by now. A lot of trimming and fragging.

1717277054312.png

How do you typically get over setbacks?
Slowly, everything is slow. if something is wrong, something is dying, gradual changes. My most recent phosphate was 0.00 for months, it took me 5-7 months of altering, adding neophos to get my numbers up. Even still I struggled, it took well over 100ml of neophos in a week's time to get my numbers where they are now and holding.

What's the best thing you ever bought for your tanks?
The automatic roller from Reef-N-Rolls. It's probably the best innovative product for the all-in-one nano hobby. With two toddlers, and a busy schedule, it just takes that part of maintenance out for me. I swap the roll once a month, sometimes longer. It's been a staple in keeping the salinity stable, the nutrients under control, and the worries less problematic. Last vacation was definitely a breeze.

1717276959516.png

What are your future plans for improvement/upgrade of the tanks?
I want to possibly upgrade to maybe the Waterbox 35.2 maybe the 50.3. I just know it's going to be a lot of work in redoing everything. A strong part of me just wants to leave it how it is. It's not broken so don't fix it…

Any special tips for success or advice you'd like to share with other reefers?
Be consistent, your tank is only ever going to be as good as the test kit you have and what you test for. Send out that ICP quarterly for the things you cannot. You owe it to your system and your investment.

Final thoughts:

I've learned a lot coming back into this hobby from the four years I was away. If anything could have gone wrong and happened, it has. Don't be afraid to jump on many helpful platforms out there like this one. If there's a problem, it's archived in a time capsule like R2R. There are many different approaches you can take to solve problems. My best advice is to find someone successful and mimic what they do, the knowledge is free.

Encroaching on three years and being a part of multiple social media platforms, I just want to take the time and thank every one of you for your admiration to my creations. I love getting out there and connecting with other hobbyist. Looking forward to the future of reefing community and its endless progression from the hobbyist within.

Nano tanks rule. -MK
Really nice, I did not think you could do that nice with Nano tanks because of the lack of room, and all tanks sharing the same water, I think that's the trick, and the Apex controllers really help, you have me inspired to do the same.

Timbo13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ,first of all amazing tanks. You've inspired me to try and put clowns back in my 20 gallon. I was wondering about the return pump you're using on the 10 gallon. Is it this? I'm looking for a reliable quiet pump for a 9 gallon I'm going to set up in my classroom at work.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Creations all the way!!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What an amazing collection of awesomeness!! Your passion for reefing really shows through and thank you for sharing it with us!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wish more of our members would show these reefs some love! Come on people!! :)

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been watching all these tanks on facebook and commenting now and than with questions. I did not know it was all the same person! Congrats on tank of the month you deserve it. From another nano owner / lover thank you for your accomplishments with the nanos. You have given myself and many others quite a lot of inspiration.

Luminous74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ECongratulations on your fantastic reefs and thanks for sharing your experiences. You are one of the ones who inspires me. Many thanks

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great article! Beautiful tanks!

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 8 13.1%
Back