Looking to get a kalk stirrer

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i am looking to get a kalk stirrer for my 180g reef.

I am looking at the avast k1/k2 and am looking to supplement my 2 part dosing as already I am seeing pretty high Alk demand from my tank and I havent added my 70g frag tank into the system yet.

I am wondering for those of you with a stirrer can you add too much kalk to the stirrer? I am currently dosing about 0.5 dkh a day on a pretty new tank. I would like to be able to set it up for a month or so and just dose a gallons worth every night to help keep ph up and keep alk demand on my 2 part down.

I would be using a DOS to pump RO/DI water into the stirrer.

This would be my first venture with kalk.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am looking to get a kalk stirrer for my 180g reef.

I am looking at the avast k1/k2 and am looking to supplement my 2 part dosing as already I am seeing pretty high Alk demand from my tank and I havent added my 70g frag tank into the system yet.

I am wondering for those of you with a stirrer can you add too much kalk to the stirrer? I am currently dosing about 0.5 dkh a day on a pretty new tank. I would like to be able to set it up for a month or so and just dose a gallons worth every night to help keep ph up and keep alk demand on my 2 part down.

I would be using a DOS to pump RO/DI water into the stirrer.

This would be my first venture with kalk.

A gallon a day of saturated kalkwasser (assuming this device can saturate the solution, which is not always the case) will add more than you need (about 1.5 dKH per day).

According the the manufacturer, you can add 2 cups of calcium hydroxide to the K1 (K2 is 4), which is enough for about 50 gallons of saturated kalkwasser.

OP
OP
slythy

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A gallon a day of saturated kalkwasser (assuming this device can saturate the solution, which is not always the case) will add more than you need (about 1.5 dKH per day).

According the the manufacturer, you can add 2 cups of calcium hydroxide to the K1 (K2 is 4), which is enough for about 50 gallons of saturated kalkwasser.

Thanks! I havent quite done the math yet but about a gallon a days worth is what I would like to peak out about or do about a months worth. So based on those numbers....

If I get a K2 can I run 4 cups worth in there and dose 1/3 a gallon a day to start and then get 150 days or alk or should I do like 1 cup in the K2 for a month?

Thats what im after, should I get the K1 or the K2? does it matter if I put 2 cups or 4 cups of kalk in it?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I havent quite done the math yet but about a gallon a days worth is what I would like to peak out about or do about a months worth. So based on those numbers....

If I get a K2 can I run 4 cups worth in there and dose 1/3 a gallon a day to start and then get 150 days or alk or should I do like 1 cup in the K2 for a month?

Thats what im after, should I get the K1 or the K2? does it matter if I put 2 cups or 4 cups of kalk in it?

I can only advise what the manufacturer says to use. I am not sure how far away from their suggestion you can get before it doesn't work well. Too much solid is hard to stir and there is less volume of water present.

The K2 sounds way big enough to go for a month for you, as I stated. Maybe 3 months at your present 0.5 dKH per day.

OP
OP
slythy

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can only advise what the manufacturer says to use. I am not sure how far away from their suggestion you can get before it doesn't work well. Too much solid is hard to stir and there is less volume of water present.

The K2 sounds way big enough to go for a month for you, as I stated. Maybe 3 months at your present 0.5 dKH per day.

Copy, thanks!

Am i right with this calculator 0.5dkh is roughly .80 gallons a day?

1718127223733.png

Last edited:

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be very careful not to overload the stirrer. I’ve heard of certain stirrer designs that will spin their own top off if the bottom of the stirrer gets jammed and dump a load of kalk in all at once.

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 8 13.1%
Back