ceramic frag shelf question

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen some of the ceramic frag shelves with magnets. Does anyone know if they just fire it in a kiln bare or do they coat it with something. I may be able to get access to a kiln to use and was wondering if it would be worth it to try. I just don't want to pay $100 for one of the shelves and figured I would give it a try myself.

Tswifty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you just looking for a magnetic frag rack? If so, I know a guy who makes them out of black eggcrate, and another who makes them out of acrylic.

schminksbro

Guardian of The Blue Glow
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just another consideration. Acrylic is a good option. You can go to a local plastics shop and sometimes they have scrap for cheap or even free. Ceramic frag plugs grow algae and I don't see why a frag rack would be any different. While still a better option than eggcrate I think acrylic is a better option yet. Just a suggestion.

9127b6f2bc4f.jpg

I have seen some of the ceramic frag shelves with magnets. Does anyone know if they just fire it in a kiln bare or do they coat it with something. I may be able to get access to a kiln to use and was wondering if it would be worth it to try. I just don't want to pay $100 for one of the shelves and figured I would give it a try myself.

OP
OP
Paul_N

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you just looking for a magnetic frag rack? If so, I know a guy who makes them out of black eggcrate, and another who makes them out of acrylic.

No I acutally have a couple of those I made myself. I want to make ones that look like the rock ledges. I know they sell them but they are like $100 bucks for a decent sized one. I know some one that operates one of those make your own pottery places and she might let me use her kiln.

OP
OP
Paul_N

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just another consideration. Acrylic is a good option. You can go to a local plastics shop and sometimes they have scrap for cheap or even free. Ceramic frag plugs grow algae and I don't see why a frag rack would be any different. While still a better option than eggcrate I think acrylic is a better option yet. Just a suggestion.

9127b6f2bc4f.jpg

I was thinking that route also. If I can't do the ceramic I will probably make acrylic ones. I have a ton of acrylic lying around and also weld-on so would just need to order some more magnets.

Tswifty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I acutally have a couple of those I made myself. I want to make ones that look like the rock ledges. I know they sell them but they are like $100 bucks for a decent sized one. I know some one that operates one of those make your own pottery places and she might let me use her kiln.
Gotcha.

schminksbro

Guardian of The Blue Glow
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, Acrylic doesn't look like rocks. LOL
Good luck!

I was thinking that route also. If I can't do the ceramic I will probably make acrylic ones. I have a ton of acrylic lying around and also weld-on so would just need to order some more magnets.

vr697getta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure what would be easier but you could always make some DYI rock and just drill holes in that.

cloakerpoked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this going in your display tank, and therefore the reason why you want to have it look like a natural rock?

OP
OP
Paul_N

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I wanted to put it along the back and side walls. Even with the coralline on them, the egg crate doesn't really do much for me.

cloakerpoked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY rock has to cure for a long time (6-8 weeks I've heard) before it goes in your tank, so I'm not sure what your time frame is for all this. I don't mind coraline egg crate, but was in the process of building a diy rock frag system before I crashed my tank. fortunately, I hadn't gotten past the PVC/eggcrate phase.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back