• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Cespitularia

apex003

Aquaculturist in training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a couple small (~1/2") frags of cespitularia. This is the real thing. Not anthelia or silver xenia, etc. Looking to trade for nice/rare LPS or zoas or anything that is similarly cool. Off the top, I'm looking for LE watermelon frag w/ lineage, war or peace coral, micros, "non-indo" acans, etc. I know this is a zoa forum, but oh well. Here's a pic:

IMG_3868edit.jpg

Randy

Zoa Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any other info on this sp. links etc.I don't have any of the items you want but would like to have a small frag of this for my prop system.

OP
OP
apex003

apex003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any other info on this sp. links etc.I don't have any of the items you want but would like to have a small frag of this for my prop system.

Randy- Here is a very good link to a COW thread by Anthony Calfo on Cespitularia where he gives his knowledge and experience:
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5265&highlight=cespitularia

There are also some other good threads on this forum (sorry coralnutz et al.) regarding this genus and its care.

OP
OP
apex003

apex003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding shipping: I have successfully received 2 different frags (both have survived) using the inverted float method. This prevents any mechanical damage from the rock/plug it's mounted to and keeps the frag well submerged. I would suggest the overnight delivery is critical to its survival, although I haven't had any go 2 days. I would feel pretty confident shipping cespitularia; but the problem generally comes during acclimation.

OP
OP
apex003

apex003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding husbandry: Cespitularia tends to be a slow acclimator. I've had a new specimen for about 2 weeks and it's just coming around to open up and be happy like the other frags that were already in the system. IME it tolerates a wide range of light and flow. I think the critical factor is that it tends to like a nutrient rich system. This coral does very well in my 2 nanocubes that do not have skimmers. However, when I first acquired it and just recently with a couple fresh frags, the coral seemed to shrink away in my 18g that is heavily skimmed by a Remora skiimmer. I almost lost my first frag this way and was able to save a tiny nub (~1/8") by transfering it to my 12g nanocube. I now have several 2-3" frags that are growing very well. I have had the best luck in my mature systems that do not provide any skimming and I get very good growth under med/high PC. Once established, it has been quite hardy and low maintenance. I am not routinely pruning good sized stalks to make frags. My hope (like many before me) is to try and disseminate this coral to competent hobbyists so it will become more common in the trade. HTH.

Randy

Zoa Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I was thrown off by the picture it is Blue xenia?Is that pic with flash?i still want some.

OP
OP
apex003

apex003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy- This is "true blue xenia". That's somewhat of a misnomer because it's a different genus I believe, but that is the trade name. This picture was taken with the tank light off using an attenuated flash to show the calcereous sclerites. These only show up when viewed parallel to the incident light. It's sort of light blue when viewed perpendicular to the incident light, as when viewed from the side with the overhead tank lights on.

P.S. Vote for my pic on nr.c photo contest :D

OP
OP
apex003

apex003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vamp- Nothing specific. I've got a solid red and the standard red/grey lords and no micros. Basically anything uniquely colored. Trying to steer away from the standard red and greens stuff.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might be, I got a 5-7 polyp frag of Desert Foxs that are coloring back up, as they were in a bit of a shaded spot...Let me know if your interested in the Fox's.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I will try and get a new one.....I have an old on that I took about 3 months ago or so.....I will post it as soon as I can find it...

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go Apex003,Like I said they have lost some of the white since being moved but I have them back under some direct lighting so it should come back asap.....
DSCN0200.jpg

I will try and get you a pic of them as they are now....

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 42 43.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 47 49.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 7.3%
Back