Chaeto and photoperiod

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... Here is possibly a dumb question.

If you remove say, half your chaeto at once, does that have the same effect on nutrient removal as reducing the photoperiod? Or would the remaining chaeto likely be able to utilize the same amount of overall light keeping nutrient removal pretty much the same?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either approach will reduce nitrate and phosphate removal. However, removing chaeto is a temporary reduction as it will grow back and remove more nitrate and phosphate. Reducing the photo period will reduce the growth rate and slow the removal of nitrate and phosphate for as long as you reduce the light.

Does that help?

OP
OP
Potatohead

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I am asking... If you have two masses of chaeto, but both are able to utilise the same amount of the light (meaning the smaller mass is growing faster) would the nutrient removal be the same. I would think... Probably.

Of course when the mass gets larger a lot of light doesn't really penetrate to the bottom. So I am thinking if you get rid of half of it you are probably exposing the same or even more chaeto to a good light source.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting question. I wish I had an answer. I just cut my chaeto mass in half and toss it.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 149 40.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 189 50.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 33 8.9%
Back