Chaeto growth and lights

money88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is my second attempt at growing chaeto in my refugium. I am running a 40 gallon display with a 20L sump. I originally tried growing chaeto using the stock light from the fluval evo 5 because it is what I had laying around. That did not seem to work and my guess is it was too much light and not the right spectrum.

So then I waited a little bit and picked up some more this time putting a finnex stingray as well as a finnex stingray clip over the sump. I had no rhyme or reason choosing these lights it just again was what I had lying around the house from some nano planted tanks. The chaeto seemed to be growing quite nicely this time staying clumped and showing a pretty deep green color. Although it was staying pretty thick it wasn't really gaining any size so I figure why not go for the Kessil H80 seems like a lot of people use that with great success saying that their chaeto just takes off.

Well when I switched to this the growth seemed to slow down. It seems as if the chaeto is slowly dying over time becoming more open and spread out and looking at it under other lights yesterday there were some white / clear pieces in the group. I have messed with intensity from medium to high and for the most part it doesn't seem to make a large difference. I am thinking that nitrate could be a limiting factor? I am feeding slightly less frequently than I was when I originally got it but I have added more fish since then too. Even still the nitrate is reading zero so it seems like it may be growing and utilizing just what it can based on the limited nutrients? Unfortunately I didnt take a reading before swapping the light so I am not sure as to what the nitrate was there, but a few days ago I was getting a phosphate reading of 0.25 so I have some phosphate but not nitrate so I was thinking that that should be enough for it?

I have also tried tweaking the light cycle. With the original lights I had a lighting cycle of 12-14 hours and that is what I originally started with when I swapped to the H80 but I saw it changing so I lowered and tried closer to 8-10 hours for a while. That didn't seem to help either so i think I am back to about 10 at this point.

Most tweaking I do is over at minimum a 2-4 week period so it wasn't like I was changing all of these things too frequently for the plant to adjust. I am familiar with plants from freshwater and realize a light change can cause some melting or die off but it doesnt seem to be like a quick die off and replenish but rather a drawn out slow die off.

What do other people think? Is it the nutrients? Or the lights?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is my second attempt at growing chaeto in my refugium. I am running a 40 gallon display with a 20L sump. I originally tried growing chaeto using the stock light from the fluval evo 5 because it is what I had laying around. That did not seem to work and my guess is it was too much light and not the right spectrum.

So then I waited a little bit and picked up some more this time putting a finnex stingray as well as a finnex stingray clip over the sump. I had no rhyme or reason choosing these lights it just again was what I had lying around the house from some nano planted tanks. The chaeto seemed to be growing quite nicely this time staying clumped and showing a pretty deep green color. Although it was staying pretty thick it wasn't really gaining any size so I figure why not go for the Kessil H80 seems like a lot of people use that with great success saying that their chaeto just takes off.

Well when I switched to this the growth seemed to slow down. It seems as if the chaeto is slowly dying over time becoming more open and spread out and looking at it under other lights yesterday there were some white / clear pieces in the group. I have messed with intensity from medium to high and for the most part it doesn't seem to make a large difference. I am thinking that nitrate could be a limiting factor? I am feeding slightly less frequently than I was when I originally got it but I have added more fish since then too. Even still the nitrate is reading zero so it seems like it may be growing and utilizing just what it can based on the limited nutrients? Unfortunately I didnt take a reading before swapping the light so I am not sure as to what the nitrate was there, but a few days ago I was getting a phosphate reading of 0.25 so I have some phosphate but not nitrate so I was thinking that that should be enough for it?

I have also tried tweaking the light cycle. With the original lights I had a lighting cycle of 12-14 hours and that is what I originally started with when I swapped to the H80 but I saw it changing so I lowered and tried closer to 8-10 hours for a while. That didn't seem to help either so i think I am back to about 10 at this point.

Most tweaking I do is over at minimum a 2-4 week period so it wasn't like I was changing all of these things too frequently for the plant to adjust. I am familiar with plants from freshwater and realize a light change can cause some melting or die off but it doesnt seem to be like a quick die off and replenish but rather a drawn out slow die off.

What do other people think? Is it the nutrients? Or the lights?
The H80 is most likely not the issue, how far off the waters surface do you have it mounted? Are you dosing any kind of iron supplement? Alot of times the chaeto completely depletes the iron in your water and cannot grow anymore.

OP
OP
money88

money88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The H80 is most likely not the issue, how far off the waters surface do you have it mounted? Are you dosing any kind of iron supplement? Alot of times the chaeto completely depletes the iron in your water and cannot grow anymore.
I am using the gooseneck so it's about 8 inches or so off the water I'd say. At this point I'm not dosing any iron but I do have flourish iron from my planted setup that I could dose if that is reef safe.

I've also been running the H80 on grow setting, which I figured is the right spectrum bc plants love the red / pink

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the gooseneck so it's about 8 inches or so off the water I'd say. At this point I'm not dosing any iron but I do have flourish iron from my planted setup that I could dose if that is reef safe.

I've also been running the H80 on grow setting, which I figured is the right spectrum bc plants love the red / pink
If you're able to, try losing it to around 4 to 5 inches (sometimes not able to be done with the gooseneck depended on setup) and the grow setting is perfect, blue and red spectrum. Lower the light and turn the intensity down to around 50, and then slowly ramp it up to 100 over a couple days.

OP
OP
money88

money88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're able to, try losing it to around 4 to 5 inches (sometimes not able to be done with the gooseneck depended on setup) and the grow setting is perfect, blue and red spectrum. Lower the light and turn the intensity down to around 50, and then slowly ramp it up to 100 over a couple days.
I was able to lower it about 2 inches it is now sitting about 6 inches above. This could definitely be one of the variables because the other lights were much closer. Even though I would think the H80 would put out a higher par with the appropriate spectrum than the stingrays. It's been hanging out at about 60-70% intensity for a while now.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 40 32.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 33 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 19.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back