Chaeto Question - Mixed Results Thus Far

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50 gallon AIO system with a hang on back refugium. I use a Tunze 8831 Eco Chic refugium light that a lot of folks say has no problem growing their chaeto. I had issues when I first set it up of having too much hair algae grow on top of the chaeto. I think this was due to very low flow in the fuge, so I added a small secondary pump to move the water around the bottom of the fuge and allow the chaeto to tumble.

It seemed to be working fine and the chaeto was dark green, firm, and was a tight ball. Two weeks later and it looks like its breaking apart. Some GHA on it too, but i figure its impossible to have no other algae in the mix.

I've had other chaeto look like this in the past, but always had some look stronger and more alive. Again I thought it was due to low flow and not enough light distribution since it wasnt tumbling. But now I'm seeing the previously strong chaeto look pretty weak.

Phosphates read on average around 0.02 ppm and nitrates 5-10.

I'm thinking I need to start dosing something like chaeto grow.

Questions:
1. Does this chaeto look healthy or like there are deficiencies?
2. Does chaeto like flow? It's not possible for me to get it to tumble without a secondary pump in the fuge.
3. Other than dosing chaeto grow or similar product, anything else I'm missing here?

PXL_20230830_202708740.jpg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Questions:
1. Does this chaeto look healthy or like there are deficiencies?

Looks like it is dead or dying. You might have received a sick specimen

2. Does chaeto like flow? It's not possible for me to get it to tumble without a secondary pump in the fuge.

Good idea to provide flow for macro algae, especially if it self shades like Cheato.

OP
OP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply Dan. It looked ALOT better when I first bought it from Algae Barn. I feel the lighting is adequate but I know the flow was likely an issue.

I think that the missing piece is making sure I have the elements in the system that chaeto needs to grow other than phosphates and nitrates. I only have two fish so I don't feed a lot, so low nutrients could also be the issue here. I will buy new chaeto since all of mine is now dead and then will try something like chaeto grow and see if it helps it grow and maintain.

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply Dan. It looked ALOT better when I first bought it from Algae Barn. I feel the lighting is adequate but I know the flow was likely an issue.

I think that the missing piece is making sure I have the elements in the system that chaeto needs to grow other than phosphates and nitrates. I only have two fish so I don't feed a lot, so low nutrients could also be the issue here. I will buy new chaeto since all of mine is now dead and then will try something like chaeto grow and see if it helps it grow and maintain.
I don't think you need to dose chaeto grow. Dose liquid phyto daily instead. I also have had issues growing macro at first. Sometimes this can have to do with the maturity and stability of your system. I would definitely recommend a secondary flow pump in your HOB fuge. I don't tumble mine however the added flow over the chaeto is IME necessary for small HOB fuge setups. You wanna get your phosphate level up to around .1 After that the size of the ball will have a lot to do with export of nutrients. I have a mid size aquamax fuge using the IM chaeto max light. So long as your running that reverse schedule overnight for 8 hours your light is adequate. IME when the chaeto almost fills the area in the HOB, its time to cut it down around 25%. For me this keeps my nitrates consistently around 8, and my phos around .05. I would keep at this until you get it and after that you will have a consistent supply of chaeto long term. To me (I also have an AIO, 40g) this is basically 75% of my filtration going on in the HOB fuge with chaeto alone

floridareeflabs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our 2 cents { we grow lbs of chaeto monthly ;) }

Chaeto needs these things to thrive in any tank:

- full spectrum light
- iron
- nitrate
- phosphates
- Ammonia, Ammonia , Ammonia (did we say Ammonia)!!

Alk, Calc, and Mag go play a role as well but if you keep stable recommended params and above is list is above zero you should grow. As for flow, don't worry about tumble; its over rated! Good Flow through it but again, don't spend tons of time/effort/money on making it tumble.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back