Chaeto suddenly dying after years of doing well

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's a recurrent question, but most of the answers are your tank is too clean. My parameters look good for the most part:

ph: 8.0 to 8.3
Nitrate: 14.2
Phosphate: .064
Calcium: 405
Alk: 8.2
Mag: 1745 (doubt this number is real, but I've always tested high)
Temp: 77-78
salt: 1.026

My tank is a 65g mixed reef, all my corals are growing well. I do a 10-15% water change each week and use HW Marinemix Reefer salt.

This tank has been up for 2.5 years, and was a transfer from a smaller tank that was up for 3 years. I've had chaeto that entire time, and never had issues. It grew very fast and biweekly I'd need to harvest half of it. I use a cheap amazon fuge light and keep it on for about 12 hours opposite my main lights. Nothing has changed in my tank forever. I used to run lower nutrients, my phosphate would be around 0, but the chaeto grew well, so I assumed it was taking it all up. My phosphate has come up now that the chaeto isn't doing well. For the past 2 months, it just wasn't growing fast. I checked it today and and its starting to fall apart now.

Any ideas? I also dose Red Sea Colors once a week. I haven't done an ISP test in a long time, but not sure anything in that would affect chaeto and not my coral.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back