Chaeto Tumbler

Globe182jp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys just showing you my DIY Chaeto Tumbler. Wanted to have a external Fuge and am trying my hand at trying to get a nice spinning ball of Chaeto.

It’s started life as a Biorb Life 4 gallon tank. Got it for super cheap and it has a shape to lend itself to spinning. Flow will be from my manifold off to a 1/2 bulkhead and ending with a diy spray bar.

Outflow will fall back into the sump from 1” low profile bulkhead drain and a 3/4” backup bulkhead incase the main drain clogs.

Light will be a H80 Tuna Flora, haven’t decided to not mount it yet. Have a few ideas.

Got all the plumbing done just need to build a stand to place the outflows above the sumps edge and patch the hole in the bottom of the tank with an Acrylic sheet and some Weldon. Then I’ll paint the majority black to keep light in the Fuge and leave the front clear so I can see in.

I’ll test it once I get it all ready. Hope you enjoy.
Jake

IMG_3500.png

IMG_3502.jpeg

IMG_3635.jpeg

IMG_3637.jpeg

IMG_3638.jpeg

IMG_3640.jpeg

OP
OP
G

Globe182jp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not ready yet. Few steps to finish. If I’m lucky maybe Friday I’ll have some extra time to get it done fully.

Then need to Order some Chaeto and give it a try.

I hope it works out like I’m envisioning it.

Jake

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool idea and project. I assume those tanks would work really well for tumbling. . . that said they are pricey if you gotta get one brand new.

My LFS makes and sells these and I have thought about trying one. . .

That said, while I have never used a tumbler I have grown chaeto a few ways. You may already be aware, but I would caution you from mounting the light on the side of the tumbler cause you will grown some nice thick hair or film algeas that will block the light meant for the chaeto! At least that's what happened to me when I had a side mounted light haha

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Globe182jp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I got the ideal from. Figured if they make a semi round track in a tank work then a semi round tank could do the same. I hope we’ll see Haha.

I saw them on eBay at least 2 years ago. When they just released a insump version.
Almost got one but wanted it to be external, so my sump could stay a bit cleaner and I could take the Fuge out when I needed to clean it.

At the time they did not have the HOB version just internal.

I actually reached out to see if they could make a smaller version for the NUVO14 to sit right behind the AIO chamber. But they don’t make custom orders anymore it seems. This will be another DIY project I got in the books.

Jake.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That’s what I got the ideal from. Figured if they make a semi round track in a tank work then a semi round tank could do the same. I hope we’ll see Haha.

I saw them on eBay at least 2 years ago. When they just released a insump version.
Almost got one but wanted it to be external, so my sump could stay a bit cleaner and I could take the Fuge out when I needed to clean it.

At the time they did not have the HOB version just internal.

I actually reached out to see if they could make a smaller version for the NUVO14 to sit right behind the AIO chamber. But they don’t make custom orders anymore it seems. This will be another DIY project I got in the books.

Jake.
Yours is way cooler looking anyway! Definitely post some videos when you have it up and running!

OP
OP
G

Globe182jp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always find people selling tanks. I think I paid $45 shipped for this one. Was open box had all the original stuff box looked like it was sitting in the rain so prob delivery issue. But everything was mint inside.

OP
OP
G

Globe182jp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my other inspiration.

IMG_3641.jpeg

IMG_3642.jpeg

I was going buy one and bend some acrylic like the other tumbler but found the Biorb life fit the shape perfectly.

Jake

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back