Chaeto turning dark green?

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had trouble growing chaeto consistently.

So, I've been picking up infusions of chaeto from a fellow reefer.

I picked up a bunch about two weeks ago and then yesterday I lent him my Apogee meter and picked up a new batch.

When I got home and I placed it in my fuge, I noticed that the new chaeto looked a bright light green while the "older" chaeto that had been in my fuge about two weeks looked a very dark green. In addition, the newer chaeto seemed less compact while the older chaeto seemed tightly curled and brittle.

I think the difference is a little more apparent to the eye than in the photo below.

Any diagnosis for possible causes/treatments?

Thanks

chaeto.jpg

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had trouble growing chaeto consistently.

So, I've been picking up infusions of chaeto from a fellow reefer.

I picked up a bunch about two weeks ago and then yesterday I lent him my Apogee meter and picked up a new batch.

When I got home and I placed it in my fuge, I noticed that the new chaeto looked a bright light green while the chaeto that had been in my fuge looked a very dark green.

I believe the amount of nutrients in each tank will effect the color of the algae.

OP
OP
M

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the amount of nutrients in each tank will effect the color of the algae.
Ha, the big dude weighs in on my little chaeto question! This is ain't no 1,000 g tank build.

You're up early and glad to see you have power of some kind.

I'm guessing that, I'm just wondering if any reef farmer out there can diagnosis what the heck is going on from the change in color.

botheboss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my sump it doesn’t tumble. The cheato on top is bright green the stuff on bottom is dark green. Could be getting less light in your tank.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get the dark green, compacted chaeto when there wasn’t enough flow or light going through my refugium.

Not sure of your setup, but try turning over the chaeto every day, pulling the chaeto apart so it isn’t tightly compacted, and turn up the pump to increase flow.

OP
OP
M

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my sump it doesn’t tumble. The cheato on top is bright green the stuff on bottom is dark green. Could be getting less light in your ta
Thanks, will check that out.

OP
OP
M

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get the dark green, compacted chaeto when there wasn’t enough flow or light going through my refugium.

Not sure of your setup, but try turning over the chaeto every day, pulling the chaeto apart so it isn’t tightly compacted, and turn up the pump to increase flow.
Yeah, I gotta look the set up over or switch back to planted tanks. Arrgghhhh! Well, at least I got power, so I guess I shouldn't be complaining.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 62 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back